Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is the angle of your nuts ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, May 17, 2020.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hoarder :D

rusty valley likes this.
  2. Now you tell me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's exactly what she said....:(

loudbang and Blue One like this.
  4. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"Wait! What?? They are supposed to only disconnect them....not REMOVE them!"

Same thing...

No more kittens.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The carnage that started all this fun. :mad: :D

42736C4D-ADAA-4E3E-9411-BB8738B61C3F.jpeg

kadillackid and loudbang like this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

If you weren't hoarding them, maybe there'd be enough to go around!

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

At the end of this saga I ordered a spare set of Winters replacement studs and I have a full set of good quality OEM lug nuts.

I’m hoping the studs will get to me in a reasonable time so that I can get my RPU road ready again. :cool::D

A valuable lesson came with the experience.

Used OEM lug nuts that have been in service for decades are better than Chinese aftermarket crap you can buy at the local parts shop.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    34 5W Paul, loudbang, Tim and 2 others like this.
  8. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

When I worked for Michelin, we were typically running about 30 cars and pickups on 2 shifts of endurance testing. Tests could be 2,3,or 4 identical cars and tires were switched from car to car at every shift. Everything was done with 4 way lug wrenches and torqued by hand to spec.

Probably the single biggest ongoing maintenance problem we had was galled studs and chewed up nut seats in the wheels. One galled studs meant 2 to 4 drivers standing around scratching their butts while one of the mechanics changed out the stud before that particular test could resume. This would happen once or twice a week even with changing out the nuts on a regular basis, and got sorta expensive over time.

We made some hardened cones to fit in the nut seats and crimp loosely from the back side so they had some float for centering yet remained attached to the wheel. We used good quality grade 8 hardened nuts against the cones so there was no motion against soft steel surfaces. Scrapping wheels due to chewed up nut seats went to zero and galled studs went from once or twice a week to one every 2 or 3 months.

loudbang, Blue One and Hnstray like this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I remember reading an old wall chart in a tire shop somewhere that recommended a single drop of 30w motor oil on wheel studs. That was supposed to be enough to lube the threads but not over lube it so as to make it not have friction between the nut and the wheel.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m impressed. I was thinking that because the special studs used in my Winter’s quick change were only available from the US that I was going to face an extended wait with the hot rod up on stands because of waiting for a delivery.

I called Speedway motors Saturday and they shipped genuine Winters replacement wheel studs to me via DHL.

This evening the DHL truck pulled up with my package :cool:

I’ll install the stud and get my brakes adjusted and I’ll be good to go :cool:
    And I now have some spares just in case :D

loudbang likes this.