Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What is that thing in Henry's Garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

They still plant a large area of the vacant land around World Headquarters and some of the other vacant land in Dearborn with sun flowers every year.

2. e z i

e z i

Cool car, but could you imagine having to chop 2 windshields?

Stogy likes this.
  3. Ummmm no Fairlane is located on the Rouge River....Edsels home was located in Gross Pointe on the Detroit River

4. My wife's uncle worked in the soybean lab for Ford...also got to work along Edison...he left Ford and went to Proctor and Gamble....stock options were a beautiful thing for white collar workers...his Kids still live very nicely off Dads P & G money

Stogy likes this.
  5. Oh....you're right. Sorry.

6. Fordors

Fordors

Reversed eye spring and split wishbone too, but even more interesting is that header. Not on the correct side for a typical banger. OHV conversion?

7. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

Actually, it's on the Rouge River.

8. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

Lake St. Clair

9. You are correct..where Lake St Clair and the Detroit River meet

Speedwrench likes this.
  10. Anyone have any more/different pics of this thing???

11. Fordors

Fordors

I found more chassis pictures at Mann's Restoration & Maintenance. Looking at the chassis pictures it's easy to see that the front axle has much more of a radius to it. The deep radius gave a lower mounting point for the spring perches and gave us what may be the very first Model A dropped axle ever! I'm not sure but the perches themselves might be different too, but even if that isn't so look at the brake actuators- they are angled down to correspond with the deeper axle radius. Also, one photo shows the tie rod with a dropped center section to clear the engine and the front wishbone is different right at the yoke where it attaches at the perch.
    As far as the rear end goes the Hemming's text explained that the rear axle was narrowed 8 inches (something that I can't see the need for; anybody else?) and mounted on semi-ellipticals as on a AA truck.
    Must be loads of other detail changes there too, but I'm not a hard core Model A guy so I don't know. More pictures here- http://www.mannsrestoration.com/Restoration/Item159.aspx
    The reference to Hemmings is from this article- https://blog.hemmings.com/index.php...s-model-a-dual-cowl-phaeton-heads-to-auction/

12. WOW....slanted windshield posts, compound curves everywhere and a lower top...pretty snazzy for a model A.

13. Possibly Model Y running gear? Certainly looks like a Y or Pop axle.

14. Check this out for details.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/edselphaeton.htm

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=65815

An Edsel Ford Commissioned 1930 Ford Model A with LeBaron Coach Work
    December 14, 2012

[​IMG]

This very interesting one-off Model A Ford Phaeton is being offered by Gooding & Company at its Scottsdale, Arizona, Auction held on January 18-19, 2013. It was one of the Ford Motor Company cars that Edsel Ford chose to have fitted with custom coach work.

A true connoisseur, Edsel Ford may be best remembered for his influential vision of bringing continental art and design to American automotive manufacturing. In 1929, as President of Ford Motor Company, he commissioned LeBaron to design a one-of-a-kind body for the new Model A chassis, an experimental project that married the mass-produced Ford car to bespoke style and luxury. This resulted in one of the most attractive, pre-war Fords ever made: a one-off luxurious custom and elegantly-sculptured dual-cowl sport phaeton for Edsel’s personal use and taste. The car’s extraordinary specifications include exclusive, Stephen Grebel headlamps, a center-mounted Klaxon horn, exposed chrome detailing, and patent leather splash aprons.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In the 1950s, this car was sold to the well-known antique car collector Vernon Jarvis, who stored it in an Illinois dairy barn where it remained for more than 50 years. The car was discovered surprisingly in the dilapidated barn in 2007 and has since been restored to the highest concours standards. Edsel Ford’s spectacular, LeBaron-bodied, built to order Model A will make its first public appearance since restoration at the Scottsdale Auctions in January and will be offered with an extensive file of original documentation, photography, period magazine articles and Edsel’s Michigan registration. Photos by Mike Maez. For more information view the Gooding & Company preview.

[​IMG]