Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is old 32 ford x-jalopy racing car worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Del Clark, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

PICTURES POSTED BELOW NOW!!!!!!!I have a friend of my dads passed away a few years ago and he left behind a ragged 32 5 window x race car. the body could never be put back on the street but it would be cool to restore as it was and race it a little. I have been into 32 ford for quite a few years but I have never payed attention to old jalopys before. I will try to get pics up soon. It needs to be gone through. Thanks for any input or websites to look at.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Anything can be put back to original condition and '32's are worth doing so. But a Jalopy race car is also cool and would be something cool to bring back. Zach Suhr here on the HAMB did one I believe.

3. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

I did buy the ol dirt tracker.... I think a pretty good deal!!! Pics on my profile page.

4. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Very cool car, wether u did it as a race car or saved it for rod material I think it would be great, myself with the history you have I would put it back as a race car, but I do think the cat could be saved, however I am a pretty good welder and I have lots of spare tiime on my hads....Jim

5. k9racer

k9racer

vintage racing is very popular. I bet that there are 20 or more vintage circle track cars on the hamb.. If you sell it their is a big market for 32 thru 34 any kind bodys. Shit I would like to put in a offer on it.. Bobby..

6. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Here's the car....it's rad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. You haven't heard of Jim Sibley have you.....:rolleyes:

8. doctorZ

doctorZ

this is why i am so excited about all of the new 1932 Ford 5-window sheetmetal becoming available. these is no reason why this body couldn't be restored back to a street car.

9. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

that old race car is cool as hell! It could be put back on the road if you wanted to, though. but I have to say that I would probably keep that one asis...
    Here is mine built from a couple of old stock cars..

Attached Files:

10. I think you should convert it to a street rod because it would be more usable than a restored racer that could only be put on display. Besides the basic frame and body, there should be a few pieces of running gear that can be used on a streeter and remember that a rod doesn't have to have a lot of creature comforts. The main thing to do first is to arrest the rust on the tin and do some metal work that you would do whichever way you decide to go. That will keep you busy while you let your imagination kick around ideas.

11. tinmann

tinmann

As a deceased friend used to say....." with patience and perseverence you can piss a hole through a rock".

I'd say that body is worth a try at resurrecting. Especially if you have a friend with a better one that you can template from.

12. toml24

toml24

Speaking as a fan of the California Jalopy Association of Los Angeles (1949-1963) you have a great car! Please restore it to race track condition and use car numbers and sponsor names. The jalopy racing era needs to be preserved. If the car was a non-racing '32 I would say do as you please but this one really deserves to have its unique history saved.

13. myke

myke
    from SoCal

cool car! Are the the inner door structures cut out and the doors welded shut? At least the back window is not opened up.

14. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

it will be rad either way! have fun

15. JimSibley

JimSibley

that car aint that bad. Get it, build it drive the ass off of it.

16. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Agreed 100%.

This car is too good to be put back on the street...if you know what i mean.

17. JimSibley

JimSibley

I agree, kinda. I would buil it as the old race car it was, but just change it up enough to drive it on the street.

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's an old modified. You can tell from the wide-5 wheels. From what I can see, it's got at least a 3/4 ton truck rear end on it or maybe even a quickchange (the old ones used 3/4 ton axles and hubs). Before you do anything try to research the history of the car if you can. You may be surprised at what you may find. I bought my vintage dirt car in about the condition yours was in. For the first couple of years, I just ran it, but after about 3 years I ran It at a track in southern Minnesota, and one of the builders nephews recognized it. After doing a bunch of research, I found out the car was track champ at two different tracks in '65 and '66, and was the "Minnesota State Champion Stock Car" in 1966. Before you spend a lot of time and money trying to make a "silk purse out of a sows ear", find out what you really have; you may be pleasantly surprised, I know I was.

Her's what it looks like today :

Racecar 002.jpg

Imagine my surprise when I found out that it was so famous in Southern Minnesota/Northern Iowa that some outfit in Iowa even were selling models of it. (They used a body mold they had in stock, but at least they got the coloring and most of the lettering right.:))

Mccorkell102new.jpg

19. Race car. The whole world is full of street cars..........

My Dads old coupe. The bigger the town, the bigger response. Get with the times man.

[​IMG]

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Del,
    Your avatar info says you are from Deland. So... try this group for advice and help. http://daararacing.com/
    I can't imagine how you have ever been to Daytona for the Turkey Rod Run and not seen the historic race cars on display or the clubs represented. There are a couple of other vintage oval groups in Florida but I can't find their links right now. These guys have events around FL all the time. Take your friend and some of the pix and get to a meet so you can meet some of those veterans. They are a great bunch, know a lot about these cars and can help you with advice or a rebuild.
    If you car has a good history, ie winning driver (in that car or in other cars) or has by any chance won championships, it's that much more valuable and of worthy of restoration versus parting out.
    Good luck. Gary

21. I'd have to agree with this kind of destiny for this car. Imagine something like this with minimum mods that you can take out for an occasional spin around the block. And you'd probably never have to pay to get into the local racetrack again! :D

[​IMG]

22. It needs to be restored to this condition. it is a great piece of American History that would be lost forever if made into anything else. I disagree with the people that say it's your car do what you want. It's not your car, you are just the care taker and have a social responsibility to maintain it as it should be. if you don't want to do that, pass it on to someone who will and follow your own passion, but don't destroy that car.

23. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

Thank you for getting the pics up...I have never figured that out.

24. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

I plan on doing just that and do exibition races with it! Bringing it home today.

25. F&J

F&J

Very cool plan. Can you keep updating with pics? Great find ;)

26. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Could always put it back on the street, but keep the racecar features (rollcage, nerf bars, lettering etc)

27. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

I know the complete history...I have tons of old pics coming! stay tuned!

28. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

man...thanks for the info...yes I go there and see them on display....this just the thing i wanna get in to!

29. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

If you change your mind let me know... Cool racecar... spelled front or backwards it is still a racecar
    racinman

30. 1936hotrod

1936hotrod
    from RI/CT

Please keep it as a old modified. Dont worry to much about saving a 32 ford as china, aftermarket and fiberglass companys are building plenty of them. Nothing like hearing the crowd screaming when you go around the track at just half throttle. You have to love the headers around the steering box.......great peice,only wish i had kept a few of my old circle track cars.. Thats no Jalopy for sure.