Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is my Saginaw transmission?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racerdaddy1, May 19, 2013.

1. racerdaddy1

racerdaddy1

I bought a used Saginaw 4 speed last night. I am trying to identify this so I can get a shifter installation kit for my 64 Chevy II Nova. The following numbers are on it. Drivers side cast looks like 6261886. The pad has R3K31 stamped. To the front it looks like 5/16/72. On passenger side it has what looks to be 3U103993 on the pad and upside down its got 39256556 cast along with GM 14 and 3232. Tailhousing has N2 and 6261884 cast and a small area that looks like a cast tag with F262 on it. I think it has three rings on input shaft. Two are obvious but the third looks to be right at the end of the bearing retainer. You all have always been a great help so I wanted to try once again. Thanks for your time.

2. Babyearl

Babyearl

The three rings on the input says it has a 3:05 first gear ratio,, used in the Vega.

3. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Saginaw 4 speeds are very difficult to check against the serial numbers.

Three rings on the input shaft means it has a 3.50 first gear. I have one, but I've not run it yet. It's not the strongest transmission out there.

It's probably out of a vega, or possibly a camaro. YMMV

Search will help.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74630

4. 327Eric

327Eric

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I had one out of a Vega behind my 302 GMC Bonneville motor. Worked fine for me. I last saw it in my 383 sbc powered Lark street driver. Still doing fine. I had no difficulty getting a Hurst shifter for it. But in my 32 coup/Bonneville car I used the stock Vega linkage and i thought it worked fine. I still have it around here. It bolts to the floorboard. Not to the tailshaft like the Hurst.

6. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

7. will hold up just find unless you run slicks. before stock-cars were allowed to run quick-change diffs we changed trans ( for different ratio )for each track depending on the length and how it hooked up

8. chubbie

chubbie

I have the 3.50 sagi in my A. I like it a lot. i have 308 gears in it so the 3.50 works out. there is a big drop in RPM'S in the 3 to 4 shift. I rebuilt the Vega shifter so its on the trans and in the middle of the floor for more room. I bought a new hurst set up for it and didn't use it after the vega shifter worked so well. Yes i would sell it yes it's never been on a car!