Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shutt, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Shutt

Shutt

Pulled this out of my window distributor yesterday. Was lying under the breaker plate.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. A quarter?

Bird man, F-ONE, Montana1 and 4 others like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Adjusting cam of sort's (so either 2 dimes and 1 nickle or 5 nickles get distributed).

4. Fordors

Fordors

That looks like the nylon holder that was snapped into a slot in the breaker plate. It held a felt wick that was treated with distributor cam lube. The wicks were available but I don’t ever remember changing one.

saltracer219, loudbang, egads and 2 others like this.

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

What is a window distributor. Now that is the question. I have head of a window regulator. While I`m at it. What`s a breaker plate.

6. Shutt

Shutt

Could be; thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Shutt

Shutt

57-75 Chevrolet externally adjustable dwell distributor. You raise the metal window and adjust dwell.

loudbang likes this.
  8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

That makes perfect sense if I knew what dwell was. I work on cars everyday.

Shutt likes this.
  9. BJR

BJR

Obviously not OLD cars.:D

10. Obviously you don't work on shit made before you were born.

11. e z i

e z i

Dwell is where dwater is.

Murphy32, Montana1, alchemy and 21 others like this.
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Nope. I have items in the shop from a 45 Diamond T Truck. 65 Ford Mustang. 57 Chevy. 33 Dodge Pickup. 69 El Camino. 65 Satalite. 33 Plymouth convertible. 69 Chevy pickup. 69 Harley. 48 Plymouth Sedan. 51 Chrysler. And a 36 Chevy pickup. Plus a few others. Sorry I don`t know technical terms.

Texas Webb likes this.
  13. Glad I swallowed my scotch first:).

14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

How do you set the points in your list of projects? I use a dwell meter for accurate setting.:confused:

Frankie47 likes this.
  15. I have to remind myself that the newest thing with breaker point ignition is 44 years old and the newest thing with a carburetor is 30+ years old, which means that there is a whole generation of mechanics who have never seen either one. They are as far removed from that (actually further removed!) than I am from Model T's with magneto ignition and spark and throttle levers on the steering column.

16. Well, lets not "dwell" on it anymore.

Clay Belt, slack and hattrick150 like this.
  17. Canuck

Canuck

Coil saturation time measured in degrees of rotation

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  18. squirrel

squirrel

You can work on stuff, without understanding how it works.

F-ONE, the oil soup, The37Kid and 3 others like this.
  19. He lists his occupation, as Upholsterer .

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I am not a mechanic, and I do not claim to be one.

21. squirrel

squirrel

GM distributor with a window. You adjust the points by turning the screw, with an allen wrench. The way you tell when they're right, is you connect a dwell meter and see if it's 30 degrees. Basic stuff we learned in freshman auto shop 40 years ago.

window.jpg

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Dwell is another way of getting at point gap. The points must be closed for a certain period of time for coil saturation. This is called dwell. A typical dwell setting might be 30 degrees.

Or you can set the points with a feeler gauge to .019. It amounts to the same thing.

In other words, if your repair manual gives both dwell and points gap the result will be the same whichever method you use to set the points.

The GM distributors with a window, allowed you to reach in with an allen wrench and adjust the points with the engine running. You could look at a dwell gauge and fine tune the dwell.

23. BJR

BJR

The breaker plate is what the points are mounted on. It is rotated by the vacuum advance, to advance the ignition timing.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't tell you the name of it but at least I can show you where it goes. I'd think it's primary purpose is to keep the condenser lead away from the distributor cam.
    You can see it there in the middle where I lifted the condenser lead up. I see the usual bs artists are out in fine form throwing out all kinds of info you weren't looking for and then arguing DSCN6156.JPG about it

6 banger, Denns1989 and loudbang like this.
  25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

My dad wasn`t a mechanic, auto shop didn`t exist when I went to school. I was thinking of building an engine test stand so I could learn the basics. You either know this shit or you don`t. I bet there are a bunch more like me out there. I am a one man shop. Last year I worked on a car with a $200,000 dollar build. Have another one comin in later this year. I`ve worked on 10 million dollar jets in the past and prefer working on the old stuff. I read what you guys are saying but can`t comprehend. To me it`s like learning about atoms and neutrons. Goes over my head. I have months of work lined up and more coming weekly. As far as the BS artists, I`ll put them on my take it- some-where else list. I have a few on it already.

XXL__, loudbang, slack and 1 other person like this.
  26. 1930 A

1930 A

I think fordors is right a small wick fits in it with some lube on it. Rubs on the distributor shaft and keeps the contact on the points from wearing and throwing the dwell off.

27. Hombre

Hombre

stanlow69, listen man there is no such thing as a dumb question. If you don't know what something is you are supposed to ask the question as you did. Now there are dumb answers as are plainly displayed here. You ask away there is always some folks here who are willing to fill in with good answers.

6 banger, slim38, WTF really and 6 others like this.
  28. The man told me "Just eat the meat and throw away the bones."

Montana1 and Petejoe like this.
  29. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Echoes of FalconGeorge

Montana1 and slack like this.
  30. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

AMC used the Delco window distributors, too. If you reach in there with the allen wrench at the wrong angle you have to go look for another wrench because you will never find where you threw the other one.....

SPark

loudbang, 26Troadster and razoo lew like this.