Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is It? Front End

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HH Derrick, Sep 5, 2008.

1. HH Derrick

HH Derrick

I have this front end that came on the truck I bought. I was told it was a 37 Chevy front end but have no way to tell. Ignore the spring brackets as they were built and put on.

Attached Files:

2. 62rebel

62rebel

IMHO that is scary.

3. HH Derrick

HH Derrick

What is scary? The fact that i do not know what it is or did you see somthing scary.

4. Yeah, that looks like a Chevy axle, but it does look scary how those spring perches are "welded" onto the axle; they need to be built stronger than that, maybe make a plate that welds over the orig. spring area and incorporate the spring hanger there.

If the rear u-bolt holes weren't cut off you could've made a plate bolt on to use as a spring perch.

How many lugs on your wheels?..if six it's most likely a Chevy axle from the mid-late 30's.

5. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Mine has that same set up. I bought it that way. It's either International truck or 37 Chevy truck.

Attached Files:

• 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      70.8 KB
      Views:
  6. thads31

thads31

I agree. I would not try to build a suicide front end unless you've had some professional welding courses (there's a reason for the suicide name). I would also not weld anything to that axle. looks like it would be easy to bolt some brackets onto that axle, I've seen that done safely.

7. It is called suicide because the spring is in front of the frame. If the spring breaks your frame falls all the way til terra-firma.

But, the welded mounts do look like something I would not trust!

8. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

100_0997.jpg looks like one i got in trade, I cut it off and junked it . Just shows you that theres a lot of people that dont have a clue out there

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  9. rottenrod

rottenrod

"looks like one i got in trade and i cut it off and junked it . Just shows you that theres a lot of people that dont have a clue out there"

wow that is a scary one

10. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

The Axel itself is a 37 or 40 Chevy truck
    BUT
    The way its Set-up is very scary

11. Yup, early Chevy axle. The forward dip in the axle and the smooth backing plates are the giveaway.

Looks like some old junk someone tried to make work for a rat rod. Not real cool looking and those bat wings may hold up if the welding is primo. The stock brakes are nothing too special so if you plan on driving it much you may want to replace this system with some good old FORD parts.

12. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

its frightening ! Doh

13. adamabomb76

adamabomb76
    from York, Pa

I've seen a few versions of that. Never saw it on an open wheeled car though. It's a parallel spring front end cut down. I wouldn't use it unless you knew who welded it and their reputation. I'd also go w/the Chevy theory w/ some earlier crap welded to the ends. Looks alot like the early gasser crap. I'd throw it up on the wall as garage art, and never sell it to anyone that intended to use it, or get the scrap weight value for it and be done w/it.

14. ten thumb

ten thumb
    from texas

Its chevy. I had one taking up space in my shop for about a year. You could make it safe. But it will NEVER look good. I junked mine.