Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what is it and what year do u think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynstone, Apr 1, 2014.

1. flynstone

flynstone

bought a 34 ford and this was in it, tucked car away for now but this is in it, speaker?

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      472.4 KB
      Views:
  2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, it's a header mounted radio speaker. Quite common on the mid- to late-30's cars. My '37 Chevy coupe has one, as does my '36 3w.

3. flynstone

flynstone

ok so that means i should have a radio? ha ha stupid question radios were common then? thanks ahead of time flyn

4. Radios are not that common before 1936 or 1937.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Radios were available as an accessory from Ford starting in 1932 but were far from common.

Aftermarket radios were also available.

Early car radios could be split into 2 or 3 parts. A control box on the dash board or steering column. The chassis with tubes under the dash or under the hood. And the speaker in a separate location, possibly with the amp attached.

You might see the speaker box as on your car. A control on the dash. And a square box full of tubes under the dash or under the hood. All connected with plug in wires.

The antenna could be the chicken wire in the roof, or a square of tin on the bottom of the running board.