Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What is going on with old car prices!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbo17, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Squablow

Squablow

I had a guy call me looking for a steel '32 coupe body and he gave me a whole story about how the prices of them were way down and he should be able to find a clean original for way less than the cost of a new repop one and he was serious. He's had a Craigslist ad for a few years asking for the same thing.

I didn't laugh at him but I wanted to, I told him if I knew where to find what he's looking for, I'd own it myself.

I've yet to see anyone post any examples of stuff that sold dirt cheap, or stuff cheap that hasn't sold yet but is advertised.

lucky ink and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean you're gonna beat me to it? No way, nobody wants em, don't do that to yourself...;)

pitman likes this.
  3. verde742

verde742

Consider my thoughts: If the E-Bay restructured and had seller start at the price that would be accepted , wouldn't people who REALLY want it have a bidding war, from the starting point , instead of $100.00 increments on a $50,000. car starting at $50.00?

my opinion: prices would bring on REAL buyers and prices would reflect real purchases.?

Whatta ya all think ?

lothiandon1940, Chucky and tofords like this.
  4. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A seller can do that now. The problem is that most folks want way more for their cars than what the cars will bring. You'll notice I did not mention "worth". Something is only "worth" what a buyer will give for an item. That determines the worth. Never mind what a person has "invested" in a car for sale.

So, a person decides he wants 50K for his car. The buying public, however, has a different idea and will not bid. Auction over-no sale.

The idea of starting at a dollar will get the goofs that think they might get a car for $21.00 but will get serious buyers, too. These folks get into a bidding war and off they go and, often, bid up a car that most folks would not buy. That's why auctions are the favored method-for the seller and the auction company.

5. verde742

verde742

okay. start at $50,000.or Best Offer, wouldn't THAT determine, the value..

then let the bidding "war" decide. If NOBODY bids, then wouldn't owner keep it, or lower price to get some action? Nobody bids, lower it again !!!! (nobody bids, lower it again ) now we'll get some action !!!!!

there's just gotta be a better way...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  6. 1964 Full size Oldsmobiles are my passion, so I keep a close eye on that general market. This morning in Hemmings, a 1963 Starfire popped up. Asking price $11,900. It's a fair looking all original driver. Guy went through ALL the mechanicals, after sleeping for over 30yrs. Sold my way nicer 1964 Starfire, 7 years ago, to guy in Switzerland, for $5k. Like so many others have already stated, when the check is written, the value is established.
    Problem with these early 60's GM's, is parts will kill you, if you don't buy a nice one. Hoping to sell my 98 for a fair price, when it is done, so I can buy a Hot Rod project, or nice driver quality Corvair.
    JT

7. Hyfire

Hyfire

The market is bad for most sellers. Plenty of deals to be had, but you need cash to have them. Tons of out of touch sellers, asking way too much. You just need to sort through the crap.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  8. 5window

5window

The crap tends to sort itself through no-sales or LONG times on the listing.

Chucky likes this.
  9. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

The market is the market, and ultimately it's supply and demand that determines value. Is it soft or is it crazy? Right now that depends on whether you are selling a running car or a pile of rust. On another thread there is a guy wondering the value of his 50 Plymouth 2 door and the debate is between $5k and $7.5k. At the same time I see guys advertising rusted out hulks of Model A coupes or 35 humpbacks at $3k to $5k and everyone is nodding their heads it's worth that much. The rat rod craze has driven up the price of rust, but lack of funds is cooling off the restored/original driver market... which is counter intuitive as that rat rod is going to have a lot more in it finished than the guy with the $7k driver.

10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, from what I've seen prices have NOT dropped off, not at all. There is the occasional good buy that pops up from time to time, but they don't last (like the 34 Ford coupe with an Olds overhead valve V8 that popped up on Craigslist a few weeks ago). This whole thread is really about guys that like to have something to fret about, and this time its car values. I call bullshit.

Squablow and DesertRat#1 like this.
  11. trollst

trollst

Lots of opinions here, but the younger set aren't like us, no matter how you slice it. My cars are basic, my roadster pickup will go around corners and stop so well you'd be impressed to drive it, but....no stereo, no top, no comforts and no comparison to the average mini car of today, hell, its no comparison to my duramax. Its not worth a whole lot to todays kids cause there aint much there....which is EXACTLY why we like our junkers. My 36 is cool, there's nothing like it, but again, isn't for the younger set, it has NO creature comforts or the economy the comparable modern car has. This has nothing to do with the price I set as the value, they aren't in my grandkids field of vision, period. When I croak, my daughter will get my 36, she wants it because it's mine, not because its a 36 ford, my boy is just a gearhead and will take my roadster and tools, and thats how it really is...... DSC06618.JPG

Attached Files:

Thor1 likes this.
  12. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Trollst, I'm envious of your location - out in the beautiful country with what I imagine are not heavily trafficked two lane highways.

And your old machines are very nice too!

trollst likes this.
  13. 62rebel

62rebel

Hopefully the market is leveling out now that the majority of barrett Jackson followers have discovered that rebuilding a car and making a profit on it are almost mutually exclusive. F##k 'em. They drove prices sky high for twenty years. Let 'em eat beans and weenies for a while.

chevyfordman, redoxide and RMR&C like this.
  14. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Eh.... Ride the waves of the Johnny come lately folks. People invested big into cars due to Ass Monkey and Rip off Jackson being on TV and getting prime time viewing. Now those folks who invested thinking their 80k car is worth 160k are selling, once they realize it wont ever get close to even 30k they get pissed and swear to never go down this path again and say they lost their retirement etc.
    Folks who do this for the sport, nostalgia, the art, etc are the ones who like it when prices tank and we can get a really nice car to start out with. The muscle car phase is edging out finally, seems people are doing what SEMA tells em, LIFTED with bolt ons and big rims with little tires.

It will all come around, the collector phases normally go, hotrods, muscle cars, jeeps, boats, planes, repeat.

redoxide likes this.
  15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

What I see all the time on any of the Facebook old car pages is this.
    Post a pic of a car you want to sell and get 509. ‘Likes’ and 50 comments that the price is a steal.
    And not one actual buyer.

16. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

We Have Another Roller Coaster Ride Coming Up With Olde Car Values So If You Are In The Hobby To Make A Profit Then Hold On Tight...If You Are In The Hobby To Enjoy The Autos Then Continue...I Do... CHANGE 2014 022.JPG

chevyfordman, jnaki and 1959Nomad like this.
  17. j3harleys

j3harleys

What's the price of gas there?:)

Jet96 and LOU WELLS like this.
  18. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

29.9 At This Time But I May Have To Raise It To 31.0 If The Economy Does Not Improve..Thanks...

Jet96, slv63 and wackdaddy like this.
  19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:D

20. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I the often see guys putting a lot of money into cars that aren't as desirable in the classic car market and expect to recoup every dollar spent. As has been stated many times on this post, it's only worth what someone's willing to pay for it. I guess it's kind of like buying a house in a bad part of your town or city, putting more money into it than you should only to find the location is going to dictate what the resale value of it is going to be.

Gman0046 and LOU WELLS like this.
  21. chopped

chopped

My wife always said "if you were a golfer we'd lose money every day. Don't worry, have fun".

slv63 and MO_JUNK like this.
  22. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

I've come to wonder if vintage car sales fall into two categories:
    1) you happen to advertise at the same time someone is looking specifically for your car and you get top dollar, or
    2) no one is specifically looking for your car so bidding activity and price stays low. In this case the car is sold for less than supposed value.

The buyer that is willing to own whatever pops up as a good deal will be satisfied, the seller looking to unload his emotionally prized car gets his value when the buyer has to have that specific car.

I've found myself at one point buying a parts car for the prized gem that I bought initially in better condition than the initial car purchased and in better condition. So what the hell is true value? Beats me most of the time.

23. verde742

verde742

I think I AGREE WITH YOU....
    I know the seller, if he is a serious seller, is ready to sell when he list it. He is ready "to move on" NOW , he wants the most he can get. The guy that says, I will "just keep it if I can't "get MY PRICE" Is not , in my opinion, ready to sell, he is "fishin."

do NOT tell my wife what it really cost, but let her SELL for whatever she wants......
    I had fun, let some body else have fun..

MONEY FITS ALL SIZE Don't store that stuff any longer, auction, give, trade,
    I don't care, if I was resourceful enuff to get it. Be resourceful enuff to liquidate..

Good Guys will get "good deals" Better that than paying storage, having flats, dead batteries.. critters, etc...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  24. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Prices are still up around here, most think old cars are still worth gold no matter what shape there in.

25. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I just got back in the hobby and this let me buy into my A roadster at a affordable price. Now building my fordor, a different story, but was able to get the donor car cheap. Buy low!!

26. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Right on brother! me too!

Zettle Bros. likes this.
  27. To get a deal, you have to be patient and have $$ in hand when the right car comes up. Chevelles, Camaros and Novas are out of sight for most of us. I can justify putting $30k into a build, but would balk at buying a finished car for that much. Must be the new math...

There are a lot of older guys I see at cruise nights, they are looking to head south and want to sell their cars. I don't even ask if I'm not interested in the car and have no intention of even looking close at it. But there is a great potential for some good cars coming up for grabs in the coming years.