Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is a willys gasser really worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruizznn, Mar 23, 2010.

1. [​IMG]

$62,500 on Gasser Madness, steel shell

[​IMG]
    This one is over $100, steel body

Here's a steel 38 for $60k
    [​IMG]

2. guffey

guffey

It seems like steel willys coupes of any year don't show up too often, and the likelyhood of sneaking up on one is about impossible. I wonder what the Old Cars price guide says.

And not to derail this thread, but how many Hamb guys have a steel Willys coupe, be it a gasser, resto gasser, street rod, stocker, or project.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  3. choke

choke

I don't know why everybody is against fiberglass Willys? When they came out with fiberglass racing bodies it was for light weight. Meaning lower ET's!. If your going to build a fast car don't you want it to be as light as possible. If your worried about having an original steel car I guess your more into what it's worth than enjoying it for what it is. Plus if your going to thrash it anyway why use an original rare peice that belongs in a museum. The only set-back I see is getting a fiberglass car registered. But you sure could have a cool car for a fraction of the cost. Just my thoughts I'm not trying to start an argument.

4. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Any estimates on a 41 willys pickup?

-original 60s Cal Automotive glass 4 piece front clip off an A/G car
    -original 41 willys frame and original shortened steel box
    -reproduction fiberglass cab and doors with stainless firewall and floor
    -old school built 396 big block chevy
    -m21 muncie 4 speed
    -olds rear
    -long traction bars
    -quarter elliptical rear suspension
    -roll bar
    -qualitiy built
    -period correct
    -metallic gold/green
    -street/strip

15,000-20,000

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  5. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

The blue one hotroddon posted for over 100 grand I think is a glass car from Harry Phillips old molds. Correct me if I am wrong. There is not anything against plastic repop cars but this thread is about real steel Willys coupes. Mike Guffy, put me down for one real 41 all steel Willys Coupe with all original trim.

6. benji2714

benji2714

I have been fortunate to have owned several Willys. Glass and Steel. I have enjoyed both. The steel ones you have it your mind to be more carefull with because there so hard to get parts for, allthough they are making steel parts. very expensive. I have a blown hemi gasser, and is a real crowed pleaser, even though its got its road rashes its hard to drive without burning gallons of fuel. So I generally trailer it close.
    My suggestion is build it for yourself the way YOU like it. But make it driveable. There are many glass ones. Fastimes sells A&C, great car. American Gasser 2nd choice for the inexpensive rout. But if you want one that you cant tell from a steel car. Hillside Streedtrods makes the most correct one. The Blue Car someone posted is a Hillside car, I saw it get built. We put up against my all steel hemi car. Could hardly tell the defrence. Don't through a huge motor in it because they are tough to cool in warm muggy weather. Most guys do that.
    The most fun one is small block chevy with a 4 speed or 350 turbo and run the dog out of it.
    I don't care if build a Willys or a 34 Ford its all cost the same. Only other suggestion is, keep the next guy in mind who going to want it . cost to build somewhere between 40 to 90k

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you tell me what it cost to build and what the market will bear...build cost is higher than market?

Can you find another ALL-STEEL, 528 Hemi powered, 10 second, street legal one for sale? At what price?

As mentioned, an all steel car in any condition, gasser or street car, big block or small block, project or finished is really hard to come upon.

Attached Files:

8. sloppy_J

sloppy_J

there was one 30 miles up the road from me several months ago for 45k. '41 all steel, blown bbc, street legal. suprisingly it took a while to sell.

9. Larry T

Larry T

Dougs car was fiberglass.
    Larry T

10. cruizznn

cruizznn
    from ohio

Half evil I agree with you..there is nothing steel under 20K any good..maybe in the eyes of the beholder, but not mine..even between 20 and 30 they are rough. I have spent countless hours searching willys on the net and probably know every single one that is a gasser type for sale..I waste no time on pro street or gold chain types. to each their own is fine but not to me. I know of a half dozen maybe, old school gasser cars for sale right now and not a one of them is worth what they want for them..2 are at 90 and 95K and need a lot done, that one at 60, 1 at 50, and 1 at 37 without an engine and trans..2 of them are half fiberglass. and all of them need a lot of work..now come on, I can see someone making a little profit on selling something..but none of them are sold so what does that say? 10 years ago it was a different story, there were some deals to be had. Not today..maybe I am wrong but I don't see it
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

11. ags41dave

ags41dave
    from midwest

Guffey,here's my 41 all steel with 40 center I know of at least 6 all steel coupes around my area ,Dave

Attached Files:

12. guffey

guffey

my 41 project was a street rod in the 70's and has been apart for 25 or 30 years

Attached Files:

13. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Mike-

Is that a power brake booster well on the firewall?

14. Jim Beam

Jim Beam
    from St. George

i just saw one for 10k on the HAMB classifieds! but it sold pretty quick!

15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I love Willys Coupes.... it's on my top 10 list of cars to own.

16. skullhat

skullhat

i got a steel one, with glass doors. i agree they are tough to find, as im always on the lookout for another one.

skull

17. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

The one that was listed in the HAMB classifieds for 10 grand did not sell. He was offered 20 grand and decided to relist it elsewhere for 20 grand after the offer didnt come thru. It was rough but a steel shell none the less.

18. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

The only problem with a glass 41 Willys, it is not a 1941 but a 2005, and it is not a Willys, but a kit car.

Not bashing, just that is how I feel when I have had an incredible kit car, and drove it around the block. I had high hopes the first block, but after that it just isn't the same.

Wil

www.sakowskimotors.com
    www.ridefree.com

19. What's it worth? Whatever the last bid is on eBay...

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

This thread is making me very sad. About ten years ago I sold a complete all steel (totally rust free) '40 with a full set of extra fiberglass fenders, doors, hood and trunk lid, and NOS grille in the origional packaging along with every piece of trim in multiples all NOS. It had a narrowed 9" with 12" NOS Cragers (NOS 4" Cragers on the front), New straight axle w/disc brakes on the front and a 350 SBC/4spd for the humble price of $17,000.
    I bought it from a friend who had collected the parts for over 20 years that was getting a divorce and needed the money desperately. I sold it to another friend who has just stuck it in his storage building and has done nothing with it. Not for sale for any price and I can confirm he has turned down over twice what I sold it for.

Frank

21. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I remember an all steel 40 that Chuck Lipka was trying to sell in e-bay, he listed it twice and had a hard time getting 25 grand and it was all steel. That was about 6 years ago. There was another local 41 that Terry Neer sold also all steel for 32 grand and that was maybe 5 years ago. Both were rollers and needed everything but all steel. A friend bought an all steel one that had never been cut on and was absolutely rust free and all factory born sheet metal, and it was the best I had ever seen. He bought it as a roller for close to 65 grand and that was 3 years ago. Getting back to what started this thread, a steel coupe with history, there are none for sale so what's it worth, whatever makes a handshake?

22. adams27

adams27

The guy who owns this truck told me 15K. It's a 40 though.

Attached Files:

23. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Damn, that beast looks fast just sitting there.

24. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Bad company was that far back. the cuoupe was purchased in 2007 for 10 k and casper (the steel coupe sold traded last year and my buddy's steel coupe was purchased in 07. my point was that reasonable prices can still be found. I from what I've seen Willy's are necessarily holding their value like they once were. just like 40 fords and 49 mercs--I think things cycle in popularity and thus value. just my .02

25. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I bought Terry Neer's car for $32k. My intent was to build the car in my avatar. Mistake. Nothing wrong with what I purchased, and it had tons of "trinkets" to go with. The problem is that it was already started as a prostreet car, tubbed, 9 inch, Mustang II. Was actually spent a day working on it when the phone rang and a fellow from the Rochester, NY area bought it from me. I delivered it to him for $35k and drove from his place right to Kevin in NH and bought the roller from him. It was not as nice as Terry's car, did not have many "trinkets", but it was better suited to be a gasser. All Steel, never cut, chrome straight axle tacked in place, 57 Olds rear end tacked in place. New glass in the box. That is what we started with and it worked out okay.

27. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Hey benji,
    How bout postin some pics of your willys? Are they steel or glass? Your profile has no info....

28. ro51_hemi

ro51_hemi
    from York,Pa

Guffey
    I own a steel bodied 1940 Willys coupe ex 1960's west coast gasser from Arizona I also have all steel body parts 4 piece front clip (1941 style) ,doors,rear fenders and deck lid I will be selling was going to put on my Willys coupe but since mine has documented race history we are leaving all its 1960's fiberglass on it.

29. guffey

guffey

How about posting a photo Thanks

30. This is ro51 hemi's car.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]