Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is a good vintage-type coil to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stude_trucks, Jan 18, 2011.

1. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Streetable mild 392 hemi with 4-71 blower with a vintage Mallory dual-point dist. What would be a good vintage appropriate coli to use for that. It is for my truck project and will be under hood, but I still want everything to be late 50's - early 60's looking as much as possible and reasonable. Will just a simple standard high spark coil be good enough?

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

With a chrome cover. Gary

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I like to take old finned coils, remove the top band, heat the aluminum housing until the guts fall out into a trash can. Then you can use a modern coil that works well with your ignition system. This is a coil for a Chrysler ignition system epoxied into the old housing.

[​IMG]

Here is one ready for a new coil. You can buy old style coil covers but these don't look like 1-800 parts.

4. flathead4d

flathead4d

I like the Mallory Magspark coil. The one with the two ceramic resistors on the top.

5. Mallory made a coil that looked like a transformer, a square black box. I don't recall what it was called but GMC Bubba has some of them in his stuff. You describe it and he'll know what you are talking about.

They make one that resembles it now called a promaster. I may have a pic of the older one let me take a look in my pics.

They are good hot coils and scream '60s go fast stuff.

No luck guess I wiped them off my computer.

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

7. RAY With

RAY With

X-2 flathead 4 d and back in the days I had 3 of these wicked looking units. talk about nostalgia looks it has it.

8. Tommy thanks. I had two of those for sale last year. But I guess when they left the stable I dumped the pics.

That's what I was talking about. When I was still running points that is what I always ran.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I bought this one for 10 bucks last year. It looks like new. I plan to use it on my 56 with Chrysler electronic ignition. It fits the time period. I need to make a new mount for it to look right on my FE Ford engine. It bolts to the front of the head. I checked the resistance and I believe it will be correct. It's certainly a classic.

10. I called mallory about the ones I had. They said they would work with the unilite but still suggested the newer Pro Master. I think they wanted to sell new parts to stay in business. ;)
    If it don't knock a unilite out you should be fine with that Chrysler unit, they're tough. Be sure and run the MOPAR resister.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

In the past I used a universal ceramic resistor but this time I found an NOS 57 Ford resistor that mounted on the engine with it's metal heat shield. I think it looks cool with it's cooling holes. I'm more into looks than ultimate performance. The Chrysler system has worked well for me. I'm not racing anybody.

12. Ricci32

Ricci32

Judson if you can find one.

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can maybe locate one of those cool matching Mallory units. Anybody have a good one to sell? I'll also check with GMCBubba and see if he has any. I was planning to get him to refurb. the dist. as well. Thanks!