Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is a good cam for a 351-w

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Oct 22, 2013.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The nimrod I had build my 351 did not install the rv grind cam I ordered but stuck in one with a 302 firing order that starts making power above 2000 rpm range so I want one to make power right off idle and the motor will probably not see more then 3500 so what would be a good cam to install in it. I was going to put a Y block back in it but this car does see 1000 mile road trips so gas mileage is getting to be more of a concern right now so I think the 351 will stay,right now it has 3.00 gears and a C-4 but thinking about a AOD and 3.25 or 3.55 gears after I get my motor making more torque where I want it.

2. Before doing anything to the engine, be sure and tell the Nimrod, thanks a f---g lot ass--le. I put the rv cam in my 351W and it is a real work horse. You will like it.

3. I also have a RV cam in my 351W and it works great. Go for it..

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think he is out of business and suprised it lasted this long after all the complaints I read after buying the motor,it made 3 trips to Florida so the bottom end must be good so its time to get the motor to make the power where I want it and see if it improves the gas mileage some before making any more changes. I originally built the car with 2.79 gears and told the builder what gears I was using and wanted the power on the low end of the rpm range but that is not what I got and too late to complain,after the first trip to Florida I had to step up the gears a little to get the motor closer to its sweet spot which did get me one more mile to the gallon on the next trip. It was a dog going through the mountains of southern KY and TN if I was going under 70 and did do much better with the 3.00 gears but the motor was spinning a bit more,the motor is in my 55 Ford convertible.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Since I took off work today I am heading out to what speed shops are left and see what they recommend.

6. comp cams extreme energy 35-238-3 >>>>.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

I'd do a compression check If you don't know what the compression ratio is. If cranking compression is 170 or higher I would not go to a milder cam.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its supposed to be 8.5 but since it does not have the cam I ordered who knows,I went and talked to George Montgomery and he set me straight on what to do.

9. I have a copy of the split duration Edelbrock Performer 351W in my 47, running 3.0 gears, and it's great on the highway, and real drivable around town.

10. indyjps

indyjps

Cam duration will affect cylinder pressure / cranking compression. I agree a compression check is a good idea.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think I have checked the compression and I do not think its over 170 but will check it again.

12. rickl

rickl

I have this in my 2900 pound OT car. 1993 non-roller 351W, 4bbl, T5 and 373's.

this is a 262 grind. Seems pretty mild. I would like to try the next step up from this. I can't tell what mileage it gets. Someday I'll hook up the speedo.

13. What do you mean by mild? What does it idle at? Does it sound lumpy, or smooth?