Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A Coupe Build Thread: I bought the "What Is a Fair Price For This Car"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by GreaserJosh13, Feb 8, 2018.

1. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Hey guys. I'm looking for a model A Coupe to buy & I came across this one. What is a fair price to offer for this car? What are Midel A 2 door Coupes going for?
    Thanks
    (Note: Getting the car running & my build thread starts on post #117)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    kiwijeff and mgtstumpy like this.
  2. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I really don't even know at what price I'm getting ripped off or at what price model A coupes in good condition are selling for.
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  3. 2 big factors, (1) Does it run? (2) Does it have a clean title?

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. You find nice ones from as little as 6K up to 18K. Depends on the mechanic side of it but if you can drive it I'd say it's on the North side of 10K. Maybe not if it has a lot of covered up body issues. Never pay more for anything than you feel it's worth to you.
    The Wizzard

5. 63Compact

63Compact

Cant help with a price but I'd love to get hold of one like that.

6. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Yes clean title. Not sure on the running part. They say it just needs a battery.

7. Did the owner not put a price on it? Did they demand you make an offer?

lothiandon1940 and X38 like this.
  8. RMONTY

RMONTY

Larry Clare likes this.
  9. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Asking price is $10,500.00.

Cyclone Kevin and mike bowling like this.
  10. For that kind of money invest in a good 6-v Batt and start it up. If you can drive it around the block just Pay the guy. You Win!!!
    The Wizzard

11. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Offer $8,000, if they can't show you running and driving.
    They're simple cars not that hard to make one run, unless there is major problems.
    KK

12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

What are you planning on doing with it?
    Leave as is and "running is important?"
    Hot rod, V8 something?
    Chop?
    Suspension mods?
    I will assume since this is a traditional hot rod site you are going to modify it in some way?
    Offer a little less BUT carry a little more cash just in case. In that condition they are drying up fast.......................................

13. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I'd like to do something like this with a flathead, I already had a flathead & started disassembling, & just found out today it's junk. Ughhhhh!!!! Oh well. You can see the bad block on another thread I started today a few hours ago. It sucks. I literally spent 3 hours today removing all the studs with only one breaking off & then I pulled the water pumps & that's when I found bad news.

14. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Oops. Forgot the pic of what I'd like to get to one day. Here you go.

[​IMG]

norms30a, tofords, Dirty Dug and 9 others like this.
  15. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

$9k-$16k. Big range & may depend on wether you want a nice driving parade car or hot rod. If you only want body & title b/c you plan to put it on another frame, it may be worth less to you, but you may need frame#'s & motor#'s to get & maintain your VIN/title/paperwork. I keep seeing these fluctuate all across the board. But if you pour $20k+ into a hot rod, you better make sure you can prove VIN & title to your DMV before the end of a lot if hard work.
    Even if you get a "great deal", consider it a hobby & fun-money b/c most aren't gonna get their true costs of labor & materials back after they build their personal hot rod.

. . .

16. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Looks like a good example, . if they cant get it running ,use that to lower the price 8500.00.Calif so how rusty can it be?

GreaserJosh13 likes this.
  17. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

I like the pic of what you'd like to get to, one day.
    So shop for those, & work backwards to count the $$: motor tranny, suspension, interior, fuel, wheels,tire,paint,32 grill,radiator, bodywork, labor,labor,& more blood,sweat, time & labor. Then see if it's worth it. Many HAMBers on here can start with a pile of rust upside down in a river bed & build that (not me)but time,shop,skills & labor are invaluable. Many would like to start with a really clean,straight body, because that's all you'll be using from original post to last picture (& Title).
    I guess it's about the journey, and in the end, most of our cars are built for love of the hobby, ourselves & unless your a pro, nfs,or barely resale to a small niche market.

. . .

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    czuch and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  18. wvenfield

wvenfield

I never understood this. Let's say it's a 10K vehicle with a battery. To me, it's 7K without a battery so I could then drive the car.

19. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If you want to end up with something like that blue coupe, spending $8 to $10K on a complete car is a waste of money in my opinion. All you are going to use is the body and title. You can find less complete cars for less money. And for those that say you can sell off the leftover chassis and fenders havent tried selling original A stuff lately. There is practically no demand for it anymore. Find a $5K or cheaper body and go from there.

czuch, joel, 5window and 15 others like this.
  20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take a look at craigslist for your area - good asking price - low ball without a "just a battery" - the example that you posted shows that you want a modified ride - maybe it will start, maybe not -

21. Doesn't look like it's been licensed for awhile and if they didn't non-op it you will most likely need to have the engine number verified. If you buy it, make sure the engine number matches the pink slip or else you will have DMV heartburn.

22. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

23. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

So would most of you guys say that buying a complete titled car is the wrong way to go & that I would be better off buying a frame & body ? If so can you guys point me in the right direction for a titled model A frame & body.
    Thanks.

24. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Lack of rust will save you years and dollars. If it is rust free-buy it.

kaspar and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  25. VonWegener

VonWegener

Why would you buy a nice complete car when all you need is a body. Model A bodies are for sale all the time stock or chopped.

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'm in agreement with Corn Fed. There's been several posts lately relating to buying a complete/stock Model A Coupe to use just the body. Look for a body then order a set of Deuce frame rails and build a chassis.
    $10500 is way high. I'd offer $5000, unless they can start and drive it for you. It shouldn't be your job as a buyer to bring a battery and get it running. Chances are you'll get it started and they'll hold firm on the price.
    Model A's are still plentiful and affordable.

Here's a couple of running 30's in Socal, in better shape, listed at $9000;

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/1930-ford-model-coupe/6478313135.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/1930-ford-model-coupe/6477448430.html

27. With rare cars like these it's hard to say, they don't often come on the market so price comparisons are difficult.

RMR&C and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  28. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I've actually contacted the lady about the links you posted. I believe both are the same car. I think those 2 links might be a scam. The lady send me 2 different stories regarding the same car. Kind of weird. Said her husband died. Her & her son moved out of state. Wouldn't give me a city where the car is located. ‍♂️

29. I was told once, Fun costs Money. How much Fun can you afford? Is it more fun to be building a Hot Rod for years or spend a little more and move to the front of the class? Know your Skill level and how much your Wallet can do in place of your Hands. Always start with the Best piece you can find, those that save the Good stuff for latter never get back around to it. A perfect Old car is the Perfect place to start. Cast off's are cast off's for a reason. Do you want to go to a Car event in it this Year or Ten Years from now? It's never as easy as you think. Minimize your opportunity's to let yourself down.
    The Wizzard

30. You are correct. Look at the fence and sidewalk in the back ground of both add's