Register now to get rid of these ads!

What in your opinion is the best sounding powerplant?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

During the dark ages of the early 70s, I had that Sheeet, (minus the Weber carb) on a 510.
    Got a ticket for excessive noise in Carmel-By-The-Sea in '73. Went to a junkyard, and found
    a stock exhaust system to satisfy the Authorities.

2. Bullshit, Nitromethane contains it's own oxogen molecules, that would be the O in CH3NO2., and yes I've tipped it straight outta the barrel, all it needs is some compression..:eek:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  3. I agree with you George, but then again crewing for Dave Ohara's Top Fuel Harley, put me real close to that action for six years.:D

4. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Jesus! I watched it three times already! I want some more of this roadster!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

DAMN! That was insane..

6. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

Nope

7. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

its hard to beat a split chevy six with the right mufflers

8. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

We have run 100% nitro a bunch of times in cars and bikes. It is not very flammable so you pour in a little something to light it quicker, once it is lit,,,,, look the hell out. Alcohol is the most popular cut. It has 2 molecules of oxygen. JC

9. Deuces

Deuces

How about my 5 hp Briggs & Stratton lawn mower with a "tuned" header on it????... :D:D:D

10. RUSTY2

RUSTY2
    from Canada

Hard to beat the sound of old school, my Flathead now is tri power, the wife's tbird also sound's great

Attached Files:

11. 55chevr

55chevr

Old style Chrysler Hemi with a supercharger ... often called "A Cackler"

12. brady1929

brady1929

13. ravedodger

ravedodger

Hopefully, it will be my 8BA.

14. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

The Wright/Cyclone R1820 mounted on a B-17. On the ground would be a 59A with mellotones or smithies.

Thats piston power, but J79GE-17 or the F100-PW-229 sound great in the F-4E & F-15E

15. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D On the ground.A flatty.In the air.Pw or Wright radial or RR Merlin,or Allison.
    Now if you want something to raise the goose bumps and make your hair stand up.I remember when they sprayer for mosquitos at appx 150ft with 4 yeah 4 WW2 B24 with about 300 ft separating the wing tips and running 200 mph.At 0600.Now THAT would definetley wake you up.Run outside and wait about 10 minutes and you could catch them on the return trip.What a sound.This was mid to late 50`s.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

16. quite a few votes going for the flathead. Should run a poll. Might be interesting.

17. I'd bet that Flatties and Cammers would be the final two were it a playoff. P-dubs and Merlins for the airborne crowd. Yoiu know;I don't that there IS a "bad"-sounding performance mill.

Mention was made of King Kenny's TZ flat tracker. In-freaking-credible sound. I've got a couple to almost match it. First;any 2-stroke triple,as used in numerous racing snowmobiles,with expansion chamber exhaust pipes and long stingers. Hear them often and they never fail to tighten the jeans. However...in 1971,Arctic Cat debuted the "King Kat",with three engine configurations;a 650cc JLO triple,a 793cc Hirth triple,and a 797cc Kawasaki 4-cylinder. These are extremely rare,and a running version is like a sign from above. Wish I had some sound/video of one of these beasts.

[​IMG]

18. Gunrack

Gunrack

Harley Shovelhead with drag pipes, Chevy Inline six with split manifold.

19. 71nova

71nova

My list:
    Flathaed Ford
    Stage 3 Hemi
    273 hipo Valient with thru the fenderwell headers
    427 Cobra side oiler
    My brothers 69 Charger R/T 440 Magnum with 3/4/ cam

20. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Good idea.. The Flathead and Hemi seem to be the most popular

21. sunbeam

sunbeam

Small block with 180 readers.

22. 64T-bolt

64T-bolt
    from Kansas

Pratt & Whitney J-79 in max afterburner.

23. Depends!!! :D

Rocky, Gene,
    I really apreciate it, ther is just something about an engine pulling as opposed to just idleing and being revved that makes all the difference in the world, at least for me.

I have a friend that has a '64 Galaxie 427 car one of the 1000 ( I think it was) that NASCAR required to be sold to the public in order to make them a legal race car. h ordered it when he first heard about them, it now sits enginless, but he took me for a ride just before he pulled the engine to sell it in the '70s. What a beautiful sounding engine when it was working.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  24. Larry T

Larry T

Just thought of another engine that I can still hear in my head. Dale Armstrong's knee high BB/FC from the early 70's sounded like a banshee that was about to unleash havoc on the world when it was at full song.

25. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

My buddy has a pretty rare one, as '64 was the Thunderbolt year, but they still made 50 Lightweight High Riser Galaxies in '64- he was the A/Stock National Record Holder and Division 7 Champion with this one. A few months ago I let him have one of my correct-casting center-oiler blocks, and swapped him a set of correct rods for his, and swapped him a very rare C4AE $ steel crank that would be correct for his race High Riser for his C5 $ crank. Engine is back together and running again, and we'll probably be at Bakersfield with it

Back then- note the date of the issue, and the name on the mailing tag

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same car as it is today

[​IMG]

26. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

Maybe I'm a little weird here, but there aren't many engines that I can't appreciate the sound of in one form or another. But nothing lights my fire like the sound and smell of a blown hemi AA/F dragster. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

27. I have a friend over here across the state line that has a factory bolt. he got it new, and has the original engine as he raced it. It is currently running as 460 because they were driving it around but the 427 is gouing back in with a good freshening.

I loved thos old drag race galaxies. They were just too fast for the kind of car that they represented. I wonder how many kids got mom's old grocery getter back then and could't figure out what it wouldn't go any faster that 15. :D

28. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Quite a few mentions for blown fuelers- those who were lucky enough to be at the races back than will probably agree, the baddest-sounding MF in the valley of its time- the Blue Max. Always in the hunt for a win, always one of the best looking, but THE noisemaker- always just a bit louder than the rest, and always on the edge

http://www.bluemaxracing.net/site/history.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.