Register now to get rid of these ads!

What if gasoline was no longer available?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Methanol what else can I say.

I have an engine now that will not survive pump gas, I will have to carry fuel I suppose and plan on not driving it to oregon. :D

2. I'm no Geo physisist hell I can't even spell it.

But if you have a sphere ( earth) with a gravitational force at its center holding
    it together , and continue to remove the non -compressable hydraulic out of it, something
    bad is going to happen.

Anybody catch the 120 MPG Anglia in “hotrod delux“

3. carbking

carbking

Some can go back to horse and buggies; and others can make ethanol out of the waste :p

Seriously, electric is the long term answer; but it will probably wreck havoc with the carburetor shops. :(

Jon.

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I don't think gasoline will be rendered obsolete in our lifetimes, but it's already being changed/modified into something different that our old cars are going to struggle with. E10 is everywhere, E15 was recently approved for broad distribution, and E85 is out there in select markets.

I'm sure someone (maybe one of us) will cater to the modification of old cars to run on the new stuff. It's already happening with new hoses, seals, carb jets, etc.

As for a replacement "futuristic" fuels, I think plug-in electrics will be most popular in urban areas and liquid fueled vehicles will live on with some replacement fuel that some corporation can produce and deliver at a profit. The car companies will follow with vehicles that will burn the stuff.

I think hydrogen fuel cell technology will be crushed by the big corporations. Once you have a fuel cell you can run it for free. Who's going to allow that to happen?

5. mikemo

mikemo

What if Pluto smashes into Uranus?:eek:..........I'm just sayin', I ain't scared.

6. Law enforcement vehicles never turn off, and the BP Oil spill in 2010 lasted 86 days.

I believe we should be conscious (and try to limit excess waste) of our oil/gas usage, but I'm also not worrying about which junkyard has the best price on low mile Prius engines for my hotrod.

7. I'm going to rig mine up to run on hot air and bullshit so I can fuel it with political speeches.

8. What Uranus smashes into Pluto?:D

Attached Files:

9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

CNG (Compressed Natural Gas). I still can't understand WHY the govt would get behind methanol blends other than to prop up farm subsidies. Put a CNG compressor in every garage and drive virtually forever with the natural gas reserves just the US has available. Get our cash out of the middle east AND have reduced emissions. Hell, it would FORCE the govt to create US jobs.

10. belair

belair

BIG rubber bands.

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You can put a CNG compressor in your garage, but if the NG can't get to your house, what good is a compressor?

Natural Gas is great stuff. There's just no way to safely transport it in large quantities because it takes tremendous pressure to get alot into a small container (unlike propane). It has to be piped in, and I'm sure nobody wants to pay for a nationwide distribution network that could only be accomplished in a national project that would make the interstate highway system look like child's play. Out of respect for the forum I'll reserve my political rant.

12. carbking

carbking

I believe that if some of my neighbors had a cng compressor, I would just have to move! :p

13. At my parents house, their neighbours have Natural Gas. My parents looked into extending the piping roughly 500 feet from the neighbours house to theirs. The quotes were coming in around $12,000.

It's a great plan in theory, but as you mention, the logistics of implementing do not make it feasible.

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

Generators running on natural gas on down rated on power about 20 percent compared to a gasoline fired engine.
    Walking or a bicycle can replace a lot of the useless driving around.Be healthier and save the gasoline for important stuff like V-8's. Think Mad Max where they killed each other over gas but all drove supercharged big engines........

15. jimbousman

jimbousman

Poo-powered VW Beetle

GENeco
    There is a VW Beetle is roaming the streets of Bristol in the UK thanks to poo-power. That is to say, it runs on biogas, a fuel derived from the breakdown of organic matter like manure or sewage into methane. There is no doubt that this is a viable, sustainable source of energy (the waste from 70 homes in Bristol generates enough methane to power the car for a year) — but I shudder to think what filling stations might smell like in the future. Want a tank of high test? Eat beans and jalapeños.

16. You wouldn't need much battery pack for that commute. I think you could build it relatively inexpensively. Check this forum out, if you're interested:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/

17. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

A well thought out, provocative and amiable option indeed.... moonshine for me and my car.

18. Gromit

Gromit

Easy...

Attached Files:

19. Gromit

Gromit

That's why you should keep Ur dog and Uranus far apart as possible...:eek:

20. roughneck424

roughneck424

Me too!

21. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

:pI'll have to break out my dads still and hot rod it a bit only puts out 150 proof 1st time around.

22. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Would that make it a "Dung Beetle"?

Attached Files:

23. I think the original question was what if they blend the gas into something we can't use in our present day engines. Not too far off base. General Aviation piston fleet runs on 100 low lead fuel. At one time we had five different octanes to choose from, now only one. EPA is ordering that the lead be removed from aircraft fuels which maybe 90% of the engines are required to use. The race is on to find an alternate lead free fuel. This could result in piston powered engines, with a base line price of $35,000 obsolete in just a few years from now (It's being mandated by Congress). Sure, we got's lot's of oil, you just might not be able to use any of it.

24. al bundy

al bundy
    from bay area

I used to lay in bed late at night ,,when I was 12 ,,and worry that gas would be fased out that was 1982 ,,I needed it to run my gokart..and it wasnt fair that older people got enjoy gas driven things..I got problems

25. deto

deto

Your Prius is subsidized by federal funding. Thats why it's 30k. When Japan pulled their subsidy sales dropped sharply. Don't kid yourself. Without government interference your Prius wouldn't be such an awesome deal...

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

And you don't think oil is subsidized? Please, get back into reality and stop living in your own fantasy bubble. Yes, it is subsidized and has been heavily so for the at least the last 40 years and not only money (read taxes), but people's lives (read dead people). You want to keep going with it? Easy case in point, with oil companies pulling in record profits, they are still fighting to save their special tax breaks. Don't think so, look it up.

Also, without government 'interference', we wouldn't have a lot of things right now, including Chevy and Chrysler and all of the jobs that go along with them.

27. silversink

silversink

there was a way to get around the odd even thing---I carried two sets of lic. plates, never was without.:D

28. silversink

silversink

you bastards with 8 tracks made my 4 tracks hard to find

29. Muttley

Muttley

Contact this guy, he knows something about gasoline shortages.

[​IMG]

30. Deuces

Deuces

I could lose a few pounds myself... :D:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.