Register now to get rid of these ads!

What if a crotch rocket & modified collided???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skipstitch, Sep 10, 2004.

1. DrJ

DrJ

Back to the perimiter frame.
    On a bike, it's functionally the same part as an 8 or 10 point rollcage is on a race car, in that it provides a very rigid superstructure to mount the engine and drive train within andthe suspension to. Then instead of hiding it, it is flaunted, by not covering it completely with body panels, sometimes to the extent that the body is run inside the frame instead of outside.
    Of course, this is pretty much an opposite idea to channeling bodies over frames, isn't it?
    I'm picture program illiterate, so I' can't draw it up but picture a model A with the body channeled 8" but with a Deuce frame (or an aluminum bike-like structure) wrapped sculpturally around the outside of the body instead of taking up space where the people are supposed to go!!
    [​IMG]

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Probably technically impossible for several reasons, but wouldn't it be cool to build a Engine out of 4 Jap Bike Engines.
    Build the Block out of sheet metal ( like the early Crosleys ) and connect the cranks or have one made from billet.
    I think a V16 with 4 valves per cylinder and 400 or 500 Horsepower out of about 4.5 Litre would be a pretty cool engine for a Hot Rod...
    Rev that puppy to 11000 RPM... What would that sound like with straight pipes?? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Phil1934

Phil1934

Sorry Dr J. I was thinking of an old RRT post, but it must have been the other Doc on that board. Since we're concentrating on the bike part, how about 2 1000CC Yamaha cases making 320 HP with a transaxle behind?

Attached Files:

4. brewsir

brewsir

I'm thinkin big daddy roth...get ya a lightweight body..T-bucket maybe...track nose closed hood....put ya a nice inline 4 behind the cab with a very short shaft goin to an old datsun independent rear....simple dropped chrome axle up front.....blow some minds! Should pull wheelies too!

5. james

james

6. bike powered mods have been on my mind for a long time. V-Max power, aluminum tub chassis, formula Forde suspension pieces and a Mazda diff. Give it paddle shifting like WRC cars use. Form aluminum panels for the body. A guy could even paint it flat black if he felt the urge.

7. james

james

8. Scotch

Scotch

I think you could look to the narrowed-bodied T-based modifieds for more inspiration...There's one in particular I'm thinking of that I've seen at Goodguys Columbus for the last 3 yrs. It's got a flattie but it's a narrow 1-seater with plenty of track flavor. Being so small and narrow, it'd be a natural to recieve a Legends/Dwarf car style motorcycle engine-based driveline. Because the T I've seen is a modified, it's got the fuel tank and rear suspension totally exposed behind the cockpit, which doesn't sound right for a later (30s-type) body, at least not until you dream it up.

Little Lakes-modified Ts have become popular, and work great with four bangers (seen all the stuff Shelton has been doing in Street Rodder with regards to the Quad Four Olds and other 'banger mills?). This could be a modern version of that angle, and I dig the idea. Expose it all - Engine, suspension, everything...with a minimalist 34-esque body and lots of cycle-flavored trickery (I'm seeing coil-overs and creative side exhaust dumps like a cycle).

Maybe even more radical with a pickup cab (no bed or anything) and maybe even a narrowed RPU cab (33-34?) to define the body more clearly and justify gas tank placement aft of the cab and over the rear suspension.

I'd love to have a couple beers and sketch alongside you on this. Look to '60s-era Indy cars for exposed suspension inspiration (they always looked cycle-like to me) and also for tips on cool-looking exhuast. The last few front-engine Indy cars could provide more ideas.

You HAVE to build this now...or at least develop front, rear, side, and both front adn rear 3/4-veiw sketches. There's definiately something to this, and I love your headlight packaging on the original sketch. I think this would look proportionally perfect on a narrowed body.

Scotch~!

9. I'd recommend a V8 Sesko Suzuki from Ron Hoettells...!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. I'm pretty sure they quit making V8 Sesco motors many years ago.
    USAC wanted to save everyone money. [​IMG]

But I just found this:
    [ QUOTE ]
    FOR SALE: SESCO/SUZUKI V8 ENGINE PARTS. I have two new engine blocks and two billet cranks. One block is machined to accept the Suzuki 2 valve top-end while the other block is machined to accept the 4 valve top-end. Both cranks are BILLET (2 of 6 made!). These are spare parts for the Kenyon Suzuki I owned and recently sold to a collector in Australia. I also have a repairable 4 valve block that sustained damage from a broken rod. Easy fix. Additional parts include magneto bodies, Hilborn pump, mounting plates, cam drive gears, 32 NEW 4 valve pistons, jugs, heads and more. WILL PART. Hank Nelson, [email protected]

[/ QUOTE ]

11. Saw a couple for sale on the Midget racing sites recently and I know that Ron has a few left over plus a couple of the Banned V8 Kawasaki's...! [​IMG]

He's always the consumate "Mad Scientist" of the midwest...! [​IMG]

His basement is a couple of thousand square feet of high tech machines! [​IMG]

It would be fun in a car like that...! [​IMG]

Mark

12. Phil1934

Phil1934

13. Phil1934

Phil1934

The first engine pic I posted came from this Formula SAE racer site. There's a ton of information on the engine, transaxle, and frame http://dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae
    The way to a bike/modified might be to drape your body on a used racer.