Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What heater is in YOUR hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4 pedals, Sep 26, 2012.

1. ratrod72

ratrod72

Old early 40s heater out of Master Deluxe .. Put in a 12v motor from autozone for 12$ an hooked it up with old factory rheostat switch.. Nice an toasty on those winter cruises...The pic was before the sandblasting an painting...ATTACH=full]2911069[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

2. I never had a heater in the roadster and froze my arse off..I've never had a heater in the sedan and froze my arse off this past winter when The Queen of Visa blue up the engine in my daily driver pickup.

I'll admit I'm getting old and hate being cold but it hurt to spend the money on a heater.

Now that the weather is hot I will probably put off installing the heater until it's freezing again! ...HRP

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  3. Makes me wonder when we say that we don't have heaters because hot rods don't have heaters if we are really just fooling ourselves. I mean lets face it they are certainly easier to build without and that is a cost that we could spend somewhere else right?

4. I think so Beeno,,You can still look cool and be warm at the same time! :D HRP

5. Yeeeepers. ;)

6. 2935ford

2935ford

Heaters are definitely a good add here. Out summers are short and fall gets cool pretty quick.......a heater would make for a longer driving season here. That said......do I have any.....no! :)

7. vwdave30

vwdave30

My nos heater for my 50 ford

Attached Files:

hotdamn and LOU WELLS like this.
  8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, here goes nothin'. In fear of being off topic, off subject, off color, and any other "off" to come down the pike, I will confess to having a Vintage Air heat/AC unit in my ROADSTER. Yes, that is what I said. In South Texas, even a hotrod/streetrod needs cool and warm air. I've been persecuted by my own club members as well as other ragtop owners, but my wife and I made a very successful 4000+ trip to California and returned, AND remained cool or warm depending on the weather for the entire journey. The NUMBER ONE requirement for both our rides is to be as close as possible to the ride in our Chrysler 300, within reason. There is nothing like cruising in old tin with modern conveniences. I am too old to care what anyone says, and besides, these are MY cars. Hope to see you in June at LARS. I'll be one of 49 red Highboy roadsters in attendance. It will be displaying '32 Texas tags. I am guilty of being non-traditional, but at 68 years, my wife and I cruise as comfortable as possible and don't worry about much.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"...kind of like my daughter's mother"? You, my friend, are either balsy, or your wife doesn't know about HAMB. A comet? O M G.

Revived 265 likes this.
  10. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are cool-looking units, no pun intended. HOWEVER, I don't see any controls for A/C ! ! With 59 days of 100%+ temp a few years ago in San Antonio,
    cruising during the day was out of the question without A/C. So, I was not KOOL, but I surely as Hell was "cool".

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I've had vintage heaters in all my cars and with a decent 12v fan they work brilliantly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. 36 Vick

36 Vick
    from Kerman, Ca

Don't know what make or model it may be, but found it mounted in the 34 I just bough ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432757877.349389.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1432757895.240007.jpg

13. touring20

touring20

An article I read a while back suggested buying a heater core new and fitting it to the
    Heater housing using high density black foam ( easy to form ) and a 12 volt two speed semi truck dash fan motor . Then use hammerite type paint ( lay it on heavy or you won't get the correct effect )

14. socal34

socal34

this is my heater in my 32 roadster seat & heater 004.JPG

15. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have a Vintage Air heat/air conditioner unit in my convertible

16. blackanblue

blackanblue

No heat in coupe [other than my wife]but to be fair when it gets close to freezing it doesn't see the road.My 52 gmc on the otherhand has a stock heater with new guts and also installed electric wipers, still gotta were snuggys when its real cold..bring on el nino.

17. blackanblue

blackanblue

Lucky you got dollar bills we only got looneys and tooneys.

18. blackanblue

blackanblue

The guts for my heater in the gmc came from brassworks fit perfect in the stock housing,not cheap but will make my feet sweat.

19. blackanblue

blackanblue

Years ago had a beetle with a gas heater worked good when it worked then somebody figured out if you shut it off for a second and back on you could get flames under the front fender from the exhaust.

20. blackanblue

blackanblue

I here ya stimpy same as here,we live on a corner, from our living room it like watching Canada's worst drivers..

21. blackanblue

blackanblue

Queen of visa...I love that.

seb fontana likes this.
  22. chargin03

chargin03

None live in south Florida use ac all year.

23. donno

donno

It sometimes gets cold here in ''Lost Wages'' and to keep the chill off I use one similar to the one Turbo26T uses. Pretty quiet, looks good,cost wasn't bad. Readily available.

24. touring20

touring20

This is the Art Deco heater going in my roadster. image.jpg

MO_JUNK, lostone, juan motime and 5 others like this.
  25. CayoRV

CayoRV

I'm sitting right over the top of 502 cu. in. so a heater isn't really a concern for me.

26. hotdamn

hotdamn

hey guys I know this is a really old thread buuuuuut I was curious if anyone knows of any threads on here where someone has either restored and or installed one of these vintage heaters?

Im looking for some ideas as to how I can put one in my 32 and it not clutter up my engine bay :)

Im also looking to hear if when you restored the heater did you put a new core in? if so whered ya find it?

did you put a new 12v motor or did you use a resister and the stock one?

any info is mucho appreciated :)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Elcohaulic likes this.
  27. Someone years ago told me real hot rods don't have heaters , so still don't have one in my 37 Ford.

Lil32 likes this.
  28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Old Air Products. . . AC/ Heater/Defroster. Freeze you out and heat you out on low fan…. The glove box has been adjusted.. C3AD23C6-D976-46BA-88FA-E9F1D105969B.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    Lil32 likes this.
  29. [​IMG]
    Harrison box from 37 Olds adapted to Vintage Air heater
    [​IMG]