Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What happened to the old "cruise ins"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56don, Aug 23, 2019.

?

Are cruise-ins and car shows different?

Poll closed Sep 2, 2019.
  1. They are different. Cruise ins are just a gathering, car shows are for raising money

87 vote(s)
    94.6%
  2. Car shows and cruise ins are the same

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. abe lugo

abe lugo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well in SoCal...in the heart of Los Angeles. There is the Coffee Cruisers every Wednesday off of Venice at the Coffee bean. It is More of a meet up. Mostly The Odd Squad CC. It’s pretty consistent. Most the people that show will do a short cruise to dinner to a local place.
    As far a Friday nights, in Burbank the Valley Cruise night seems to be getting bigger. They meet up at the Fosters Freeze until about 9pm. Then cruise down to Bob’s.
    In both cases the business are ok with the cruisers and we mostly all buy stuff and are mindful of the regular patrons.
    Not really a bring a chair to stand in front you cars type thing either. That would be Bob’s.

jnaki likes this.
  2. sunbeam

sunbeam

I use to be Draging (you put in the street name)

3. We still have the Church of the Holy Donut, Sunday AM in Burtonsville, MD, Rte 29 and 198. First and 3rd Sat. eve's at Jimmi Cone in Mt Airy, Md and 2nd and 4th Sat at Home Depot in Eldersburg, MD. Few old school stuff but still meet with friends and tell lies.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

We still have monthly cruise nights in this part of the country. Usually from March-October. No admission, no awards, but usually a 50/50 pot. They are just a time to visit.

5. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

In my area we have several "Cruise In's" or similar..
    However the once very popular Cruise Nights have all but disappeared..for Two reasons:
    * Morons showing up
    * Police being dick heads

6. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I fear that the idiots doing burnouts in traffic as they depart will kill ours.

41 GMC K-18 and 32Dan like this.
  7. wicarnut

wicarnut

I hear a lot of bitching here about what's not free. NEWS FLASH, There is No Free, all events have permits, manytimes insurance required and then you whine over a small service charge at a show/restaurant/custard stand, why would a business owner want his business to lose money when a cheap ass group shows up and does not buy anything. I have been involved in some shows and organized a cruise night, ran it 4 years and gave it up, guess what , Nobody stepped up to carry it forward, it's gone. The whining, crying, talking is typical of all events, hobbies, etc. everyone runs their mouth, as a rule, no one steps up to help, I have seen this as a business owner, participant in many different hobby type clubs all through the years. Everyone should make it a point to Thank show/cruise organizers for their efforts, keep on bitching and you will kill the deal, then what, sit here on the HAMB and Bitch ?

The37Kid likes this.
  8. quick85

quick85

So called "cruise ins" or "cruise nights" are bullshit. We didn't have cruise nights in
    the old days of the sixties. We came home from work, cleaned up and then hit the
    streets, either of our own towns or others. The majority of the time we dropped
    some dough where we went. Business owners made some cash off of us and we had
    places to congregate, a win-win for everybody. These days everyone sees dollar signs
    and those not really associated with cars want their piece of the action.

I'm not bemoaning the idea of making money, my bitch is that things have changed
    from actually cruising, in our everyday, extremely kool daily drivers, to sitting on
    a sidewalk in a lawn hair or at a folding picnic table while someone sells raffle tickets
    and someone else from a local restaurant caters burgers and sausage sandwiches.
    Sadly, that's the state of the "hobby".

LCN 1.JPG

The37Kid likes this.
  9. You don't suppose these two actions are related, do you?

lurker mick likes this.
  10. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy does this ring a bell for me. About 15 years ago here in the Ballard neighborhood, all of Ballard way was closed for a Saturday car show/gathering, I drove my car down early to park in front of Ballard Hardware, ( the old location, because I worked for them back then ) The entire day was great, till at the very end of the gathering, one person decided to do a burnout in the street, and it was on the section that had brick/cobblestones and the tire marks on the bricks, pissed off the local authority's, and that was the end of that type of gathering on Ballard way!
    47 dodge ballard hardware.JPG

11. RJP

RJP
    from PNW

if theres lawn chairs, bands, money, vendors, a set time, special parking, pylons or barricades it's not 'cruisin' anything. It's a show or a gathering. If you jump in your hotrod, drive it ten blocks, park it, grab the lawn chair and sit for the next two hours, you haven't been to a cruise night, you've been to a car show.

quick85 and 56don like this.
  12. Vernon2

Vernon2

A few years ago local ice cream joint started a cruse in but `was killed by the guys that burn out on a busy route.