Register now to get rid of these ads!

What happened to the car when you met your wife post?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by pnevells, Feb 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnevells

pnevells

I thought this was a fun post and it disappeared

2. squirrel

squirrel

Probably too many guys posting off topic stuff.

Moriarity and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. pnevells

pnevells

It was a great idea Jim

5window likes this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, I got real tired of deleting the off topic pictures, at the end there was a 66 chevelle and a 68 roadrunner posted, I bet I deleted a couple of dozen off topic car pics and even made a post on the thread that the cut off is 1965 but people ignored it....

5. squirrel

squirrel

Well, it was fun while it lasted, and now I can say I got a thread deleted, so it's win-win

Sorry Mark

Paul, wicarnut, Lil32 and 18 others like this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

surely not your fault man..... people simply mistook this place for facebook... maybe if the title read something like "what 65 and older car were you driving when you met your wife?" I don't know

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Some women you try to forget.

8. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

Didn't have a car, we met in the second grade!!!

VANDENPLAS and slim38 like this.
  9. 5th grade for us!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. Really? First time after all this time? I think my first thread was deleted 4 seconds after joining. I guess there were rules posted somewhere I didn't read?

VANDENPLAS, Thor1 and slim38 like this.
  11. dwollam

dwollam

When we 1st met I was driving a '62 Pontiac Bonneville convertible and a date was arranged. The actual first date a couple days later was in my '51 Ford Club Coupe on March 9th 1979. We currently own the '51 today! The Bonneville went away the following year.

Dave

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm guilty too even I showed a tiny photo. Mrt my wife while driving a 69 Cutlass that I had special ordered while I was in Vietnam. My 51 Merc was still sitting behind .my grandfather's corral where we had put it when I got drafted. It didn't run until a buddy gave me a 350 Buick in the late 70's.

alanp561 likes this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I worded mine so as not to piss off Mark and Cob. When you read it, you knew what car I was talking about, without naming it. No pic, either.

J. A. Miller and Tman like this.
  14. You guys know better than to post pics if they are off topic. So why do it?

15. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Because they don't like being told what to do or not do.

VANDENPLAS and Tman like this.
  16. Because it was a light hearted post. And, the walking on eggshells has been driving folks away from here for quite some time. There is a reason many of the names from the boards early years can now only be found on IG.

17. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I did the same thing.

18. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

A few idiots did the same thing in the 'what do you do for a living' thread, which is too bad. That was a good thread and I was actually interested in hearing about how some of you guys here made your bones. On well, now I got a notch in the belt too I guess.... I'm in good company around here...

Thor1, Guy Patterson, 5window and 2 others like this.
  19. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

brilliant-guiness.gif

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

really? so we should abandon the rules here so more people can stay and post off topic stuff?

SS327, 6inarow, Guy Patterson and 2 others like this.
  21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, one guy posted a nude and got banned, truth be told the antiquated forum is for 1965 and older collectables, so the whole thread was off topic

22. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Of course not. I see the off topic postings as being central to who the individual poster is, where they come from and their life relatable experiences. I think most posters appreciate this site for what it is but sometimes find it difficult to remain in such a well defined box without committing some kind of infraction. I'm in my 70s now and cars built after 1965 were just as much a part of my car culture exposure as pre 1965 were. But rules are rules and I think most of us try to be mindful of them even if there is an occasional slip. That's where you come in...keep up the good work, it's appreciated!

Thor1 and Moriarity like this.
  23. Don't shoot the messenger. Just pointing out the reality of it. Lots of backchannel discussions happening thru other social media. There are a lot of great fabricators that simply don't post here anymore and the place is lesser because of their absence.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any thread that asks for only HAMB-appropriate vehicles that one might have been driving when they met their future spouse in necessarily limits this almost exclusively to people who are in their 70's, or older, with limited exceptions.

The OT postings were proof of that.

25. 5window

5window

A lot of us wanted to be part of things but had either a muscle car type vehicle or our mom's car. I liked hot rods,but my mom's car fit my budget. I'm 73, hot rods fit my budget about 2003 when I could pay off the mortgage and the kids were out of college.

VANDENPLAS and Thor1 like this.
  26. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Good point... posted a picture of a ridiculous example of the "stinkbug stance" in response to a guy that was unfamiliar with the term. Boom-gone-couple years too new.

"No, I'm just trying to have me some fun."
    John Prine

Boneyard51 and Tman like this.
  27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

reality or not, they left because their interests were outside of the rules here so I don't see how them being gone from here is a negative, we surely don't need how to camaro subframe swap threads when it is off topic here...

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was not eligible to get a drivers license until 20-years after the last HAMB-friendly car was built. I lived in a place where road salt took cars down in as little as 10-years.

By then, gas prices were a had a greater leverage over prevailing wages than in any other time in history.

I never even knew what a pre-tri-five Chevy looked like until I saw one in a magazine. I did not see one in-person until I moved to the West Coast.

SS327 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  29. squirrel

squirrel

hmmm....60s maybe? I'm only 60, and when I met my wife most of the cars on our block were 65 or older.

But if you lived up north, yeah, things would be different.

I sure should have put "pre-65" in the thread title, sorry about that.

30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the people here should not have to be constantly reminded of the 1965 cut off, but it sure seems necessary for some reason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.