Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What happened to "featured" So Cal Speed Shop thread?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corndog, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Just last week I spent about 45 minutes reading the featured post on the So Cal rear end housings that are not welded properly and read that So Cal was taking a rather casual stance on standing behind the product. Now I see that thread is no longer open for posts. Whats up with that!
    So I get up today and go out in the garage to work on my truck. To my surprise when I get in it to start it up my gas pedal is dangling from the throttle cable! I lean over to see what the heck is going on and to my surprise the firewall bracket was broken off from the pivot-boss that holds the bushings. It was obviously welded by someone who can't weld cause there was barely anything holding the two pieces together. I came in the house and looked up my paperwork to see who I bought it from and wa-la...it was So Cal Speed Shop. So I call So Cal and get a polite receptionist who refers me to Ebay policy on returns which has a 30 day warranty and requires I pay for the return shipping. I just took it off and welded it myself and painted it black over the chrome and have sworn to buy nothing from So Cal again.

Attached Files:

2. Drama threads get axed,that's probably what happened. HRP

3. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I rather drive a rat than piece together a "catalog" trad rod from their junk.....put them on the list with speedway CRAP....I'd feel really uneasy if I was rolling on one of their frames.....

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

5. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

It was a bit of a rant I guess lol, just hate it when business or people don't take ownership and hide behind "policys"

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. I think that thread had some political posts. They got deleted but apparently some got posted again so it was shut down.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  7. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Being a business owner, complaints from customers get top priority. We immediately stop everything to address a customer's complaint. Result: more business from satisfied customers.
    Another quick story. Many years ago I bought a new but garage worn clutch and pressure plate - Centerforce brand. Living here in Arizona and finding out that they had moved to the Prescott area, I took the pressure plate and clutch disc with me on an unrelated trip to Prescott. I dropped by Centerforce just to see if they might swap out the disc that had the wrong splines for one with the splines I needed. I'd be happy to pitch in a few bucks difference. When I explained my problem, they asked me for the pressure plate too. I told them it was just a shop worn swap meet piece and I would use it. They insisted, took it to the back and returned with a brand new clutch and pressure plate with a guarantee and would not take a cent for their troubles. Result: Every stick shift car I own has a Centerforce clutch and pressure plate in it. Second result: I've told everybody that would listen about the stellar treatment I got from Centerforce. They are a class act. If anybody from So-Cal reads this, well, you might rethink your policy toward your customers. They made you, and they can break you.

8. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

very well said amen

blackout78666 and volvobrynk like this.
  9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"So I call So Cal and get a polite receptionist who refers me to Ebay policy on returns which has a 30 day warranty and requires I pay for the return shipping." I fail to see the problem, unless you purchased it directly from SoCal.

And, is this another thread rehashing the same shit that got deleted?

shawnsauto1 likes this.
  10. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

" I fail to see the problem, unless you purchased it directly from SoCal"

So Cal was the seller, just using ebay as a venue. All seems the same to me...

pat59 likes this.
  11. Here's the deal changes in management and purchasing policy means changes in customer service.
    That is a sign of the times.

I see no reason to continue to badmouth vendors, it should be a once and done deal. If a company like say Beaver's Rod Parts and Junk is selling some stuff cheap then all it would take is a short search for anyone looking to find the bad post and not buy from them. easy peasy.;)

Edit damnit it:

No offense intended to @corndog or anyone else posting on the thread, just an opinion from someone who is very opinionated.

12. flashback

flashback

"Sign of the times" - Shitty business practices get talked about over and over and over! You can be done with it but some people think they ( SoCal ) suck for the way they handle there business now ("Customer Service") and want to talk about it.

13. prpmmp

prpmmp

How about those Cubs!!!! Pete

14. The Cavs won last night !
    And I need a old overflow tank
    image.jpeg

15. I got a mini keg from Super Bowl XXL, I've been savin it but you can have it if you want.

hey anyone seen any good cat videos lately?

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I know corndog and he doesn't post just to stir things up. I think he has a legitimate gripe.
    I know this, some companies that were iconic and known for quality and customer service are either sold to new owners who don't carry on the legacy and tradition, or they morph over time into companies that are nothing but a caricature of their former selves. It appears that might be the case with So Cal. It's a shame, but not the end of the world. There are vendors out there who sell quality and back it up with customer service. Word of mouth will let us know who they are.

17. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Pete & Jake's always comes through for me. Thought I'd add some positive to a negative post !
    Watched baseball last night

flatout51 and pat59 like this.
  18. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Talk to Roger at SoCal Sacramento. You'll probably get further

19. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Thanks Arkie! I rarely do post on here and was just voicing my personal frustration over the failure of a simple part that I would guess is used alot by HAMB guys. Makes me wonder what I would have done had it broken any where besides in my shop. Dont know how far I can drive my hot rod at idle! Anyhow, if I had it to do over, I would keep my opinion to myself.

20. Corndog
    Its not your post and trust me I understand your frustration. I have no affiliation with SoCal it is just that these posts always go the same way. We all know what good business practices are, we all understand fair play and we all become drama queens before all is said and done. These threads often get started with the best of intentions to inform the masses and then they become Hop on Pop. I am as guilty as the next guy so this is not Benno pointing a finger at anyone.

[​IMG]

21. bchctybob

bchctybob

What he said. I have had nothing but great experiences dealing with the guys from SoCal Sacramento.

22. 5window

5window

Ah, but isn't the root of the problem the So-Cal product? Great to know that one branch is better, but the policy and the defective merchandise are company wide. If you buy a product from So-Cal shop "A", will So-cal shop "B" be able to help with repair/replacement or refund? Isn't So-Cal an alliance vendor?

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm loving how all the guys, who probably don't even have SoCal products on their cars, are piling on. Fucking crazy, man. Have any of you called SoCal to get their side of all this? Probably not. You'd rather sit on your collective asses and join the internet parade of product/company bashing. What a bunch of Lemmings.

Sometimes, I wonder how some of you make it out of bed, without checking to see what the popular point of view is. So now you've got ANOTHER thread to be internet bad asses. Fucking hilarious. Good night.

lowrd likes this.
  24. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I just don't expect much ,then when I'm screwed over I figure I have it coming. It also pays to look things over very well before installing it. It doesn't always work but it don't hurt either.

firstinsteele likes this.
  25. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/rant-save-your-money.863086/
    Take a look there^
    There's a whole bunch of folks not happy with "est 1946 SoCal" for a variety of reasons. You see any one of those reasons is enough on its own but all the reasons collectively, and generated from the same source clearly points to a B I G problem.
    I did get some crappy parts but the biggest frosting of my ass came from the tech dept. you know the guys who are supposed to be knowledgable about the products. Such horrible misinformation and deadly dangerous.

And yes this thread will probably get locked too.

26. 5window

5window

So, there are now several different products, poorly made and not backed up by the supplier. If I recall, in the previously deleted thread, SoCal had numerous replies, and certainly opportunities to reply, that were dismissive.

I'm gathering your don't have much sympathy for either OP, so, as full disclosure, how much SoCal stuff are you running? I have none-no need to buy left coast stuff when there's lots of stuff closer on the right coast. Why don't you call SoCal and see what's up and ask them to comment?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  27. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

If I remember right the piece that was bought and broke was from so-cal -pomona which is " headquarters" sooo if they tell you to pound sand that would be so-cals bussiness model stance

Any franchise store that actually treats you right must be doing it on their own dime ... I'd be pretty pissed if I bought a franchise at 200k and was stuck dealing with no support from " headquarters"

Atwater Mike and roundvalley like this.
  28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"And I need a old overflow Tank"
    Put a hose on the fitting and run the upper tank 1" low. I have a #7 cap and a 160/170 thermostat and never had a problem, did with it full. The key is 1" low on the tank. Good Luck

29. Oldb

Oldb

So what is going on here is good networking. A company does not stand behind its product so you pass that along to save others the trouble. Saves the rest of us learning the hard way. And having learned quite a bit the hard way over the years, I appreciate the heads up.

B

roundvalley likes this.
  30. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

That throttle linkage looks like something you can make yourself. If it breaks, you can start a thread about how terrible your fabricating skills are.

Sent from my SM-G900V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

46international likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.