Register now to get rid of these ads!

What happened to all the dragster builds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragsled, Dec 19, 2012.

1. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  2. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Just came in from working on my Mid Engine car...It is a dragster of some sort........Dragster killer..ha ha ha..........Almost have the steering figured out......Real close to satisfying the Tech guy........pics were sent to the top NHRA tech guy for a peek.........My heart sank after the local tech guy told me he was sending the pics to bounce this off of two other techs after he viewed the pics.....Then my heart went into the shitter when he told me they wanted to send this up to their boss the NHRA head tech,,,I figured I was toast...So far I am in line to get my sticker...wanted to get the local Tech into the loop since he will be the one looking at it to cert..I am lucky...he seems to be a great guy and it made sense he would want input from his fellow techs....just did not think it would go to the top.......I will be building a 112'' FED next...........Just need a few more sticks of moly to get since we just ordered some tubing but they were out of 1-1/2'' x .058'' I needed...This car will be built as light as possible just to pass tech..and should be a total riot at the strip..........Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

That thing is lookin BAD ASS , Glad to hear the tech deal is working out, Tim Jones

4. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I'm lovin the look of this!

5. Dave, if you can get that thing from A to B in a straight line, you'll be the HERO of the meet. If you can't ...they will crown you KING! ;-)

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Here's us at the local strip having some FUN!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

That thing is really cool sir:)
    Are you building to meet some of the SFI specs? I know that your chassis is NOT in their book!:) your gona have one or two hoops over your legs?

Taildragger&fenderless

8. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Great looking Car , Who buildt it? Tim Jones

9. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Thanks, I did.
    Took a minute or two.
    It'd be tough to build one cheaper - I scoured Ebay, Swap meets even had a friend or two help with some tremendous deals - rear rims came from Ian here on the HAMB.
    It ain't the fastest on the planet, but it puts a smile on your face every time!

Most guys that dig the car usually like the homemade trailer I built as well. You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhQYK8JaoAc

10. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

That trailer is auwsome!! you are one hell of a fabricator, I also watched the vid of your car running ,Ran nice and straight, BTW here's what I'm going to do with my dragster hauler,I think you'll like the cab I'm going to use

Attached Files:

11. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Love your choice in cabs!! Looks like it will be a killer hauler to say the least!!

I just found your build thread - very nice. Fun figuring all this stuff out - isn't it?

12. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

all my old dragsters were rolling chassis, just stick your motor and trans in and Go, I'm havein a blast building this car ,Didn't know anything about Flatheads and 50's type dragsters And STILL DON'T but havein fun learning, Tim Jones

13. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Tim, I know what you mean. I didn't know anything about FED's when I started mine either. Fun part is definitely the learning!!!

14. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

fenderless, yes I will have tubes going across the top of the chassis above my legs, just started working on this. I just added the latest pic to my build thread here..

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=657324

As far as SFI spec.....I bought both the 7.50 and slower for both the front engine and rearengine dragster........I followed the rearengine spec...for it was the closest to what I was building........NHRA Tech is working with me....I just sent them another batch of pics to look over last night, waiting on the green light to finish weld what I just fit and tacted into place if they like what they see...Tech actually said I could probably tech to 6.0 based on the original pics I sent them...I over built this chassis chromoly dia. size and tube thickness everywhere...This car will have enough power to spare and some..not too worried about its overall weight.......Littleman

15. blender

blender

Hello everyone today I restarted a new Front Engine Dragster build and pics will be following. I want to make a good record of what I am doing and home it helps others.
    I had started it several months ago and between work and aggravation I stop and gave it a little rest. I was using a 6" I-beam with a cross arm system I made and to tell the truth I spent more time leveling the jig than working on the chassis.. So I did some research and looked at a ton of jig pictures and cut the I-beam into 2 - 8' sections and made some bars to go on the inside and bolted them together. It made it strong and I do not see any twisting in the I-beam. I am welding 3 legs across the bottom of the jig with the center one being under the center of the engine. I am also getting on the milling machine once I cool off (In Louisiana and its hot today) and putting adjusters on the legs so I can level much easier and hopefully spend less time with that in the future. Then I am going to give it a quick sand blasting in the morning and powder coat it (my main business) Some people have ask about it being so short how am I going to build a 160" car on it. My answer is that I am going to build the back half first and I am using a Mark Williams front axle on it so building the front part SHOULD be fairly simple. I am also building the jig a little closer to the ground about 28" that give me a little more comfort when welding and I work alone a lot so picking up and moving the block is easier for me to handle, and yes I have a engine hoist but as my wife reminds me I need to use it more, but I can move it so much faster. I'm stupid like that! I love all the builds I have seen on here but I just haven't seen any real detailed post about Jigs so that is one of the things I am trying to give some ideas on and hope it helps.
    Thanks and input is always welcome!:D new jig.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  16. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Want to see more front engine cars this Monday night there will be a gathering in Wallingford. Time for some Crackle and fuel oders good times. Should bring tears to your eyes.

17. We Bad

We Bad
    from Tucker, GA

I always liked the headers on this car. . .
    IMG_7140.jpg

so I made some for my digger.
    RR Send.jpg

18. Been working on the trailer more than the car :D

[​IMG]

19. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

thats a good looking setup tudor!

20. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Thought I'd bump this to see if anything is new, So Post your builds progress,,,, Mine turned into a Comp coupe , Plus I started the cab swap on the ramp truck,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

21. Me I got sidetracked on mine.
    #1 I am having so much fun with the blue /6 car I may be a bit too content.
    #2 Someone an old friend gave me an old VW bug crapped out body shell and I decided to pretend it is a 40s 2 dr sedan and have a gasser project well underway. Also /6 power.

22. Glad to see ya at it again Don..........