Register now to get rid of these ads!

What got you into old cars ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Hyena, Mar 19, 2008.

1. The Hyena

The Hyena

Lets get a picture post of exactly what got you into old cars.....

mines the 50 from the movie Cobra..

[​IMG]

And Bryans 53 merc (post me a pic Bryyyyyyyan)

2. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I think this is what got myself and alot of other people into "old cars" :)

Attached Files:

3. I like old cars.

Nothing produced today will outlast the cars produced in the 60's on down.

and, since nobody wants them, the cheap factor helped. I don't like car payments..

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dad dated my mom in a 41 Ford Ragtop that is supposed to have had the loudest pipes in the county and it went from there. Definetly a heavy influence from my dad in my case. That and he had some nifty cars along the way like the 41, a 41 Buick fastback, a 57 Olds J-2. The Olds wasn't old then though.
    In the 5th grade I discovered Hot Rod on the Bookmobile and I was a total gonner from that time on.

5. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

My grandfather. God bless that man. When I was a kid he had a '36 Ford rumble seat roadster (he added the rumble seat) and a '36 Ford pick up. He's just turned 90 and I'm 31 and I still hang out with him at least once a week, picking his brain. The hotrod gene continues.

6. Drive in a Cadillac and you'll know!!!

7. AD

AD

ever since i was a kid the dad wuld buy me johnny lighnings and matchbox's and hot wheels.. he's a ranchero so he'd get me lil john deer tracktors and semi's .. so yea everything i saw on the streets was bullshit compared to these awesome creations my dad would tell me about. i still member the 57 he show'd me a picture of.. blue w/ the bubble scoop. straight up seventies.. so many stories.. the cute teacher that married the white guy that ended up buying hera 65 nova ss,, the impala the neighbors had.. the roadrunner he had. the 49 chevy truck he built up when he met my ma'..w/ a 454!,, its legit he's got pics.. car shows and friday nite cruises too.. badass childhood

8. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

My dad always had 60's cars and trucks(bout 15 of them)...not because he was an enthusiast but because that's all a beaner could afford in the late 70's early 80's. He did like beer and racing people so he crunched his cars alot. That's where I first saw bodywork. He was always fixing up his cars. As I got older he bought newer cars but old car styling was stuck in my head. I grew up building lowrider model cars and bikes and buried my nose in Custom Rodder Magazine.

9. Nailhead

Nailhead

Just being a kid.....never grew up, just got better toys !:D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remember when these things were made of metal ??

[​IMG]

10. GlenC

GlenC

The October 1963 copy of Car Craft I found in a doctor's waiting rooms when I was about 15 years old. I'd never seen anythibng like it in my life, so I pinched the mag, and have been an old car nut ever since.

Cheers, Glen.

11. speed-kings

speed-kings

The first car I remember my dad owning, as a kid. 1968 442, wish we still had that one.

Attached Files:

12. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

My grandpa. He's 80, I'm 13. He always had Corvairs around, and nobody in the family really paid much attention to his hobby, but he was always offering them to my brother and sister, sending down those die-cast, 1/12 scale models of old cars. I wasn't much into them until about 6 months ago, I remember telling Guns 'N Roses guitarist Gilby Clark that his 64 mustang sounded like, "A fucking washing machine filled with bolts.", and my neighbor who owned a '55 Packard what "That freakin' boat was doing miles from the ocean.". Then I picked up a rod and custom and realized rods kicked ass.

13. Marty McFly

Marty McFly

It was 1975 and I was about 5 years old. My oldest brother (I have 5 of those bastards) was 18 and was firing up his '68 Mustang fastback for the first time after the motor rebuild. The sound of that 289 with open headers in the garage was the virus that infected me!
    I can still hear it. There is nothing like the sound of a fresh motor firing up for the first time with open headers, nothing like it!

McFly

14. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

my uncle and his mates all had old cars, i spent alot of time growing up around there, i inherited the odd custom magazine with stuff like barris and bailon cars, cut out the pictures and blue tacked them to my bedroom walls, when i was 13 i went on a 700 mile trip in my uncles 58 holden i helped build, after that my mind was set to get one one day.
    when i got my liscense i bought my mums 80 datsun and put all hot gear on the motor but after a short while i decided it wasnt me and bought a 57 holden project that was once a pretty serious hotty, i had no welder and had a panel beater do repairs on it but he turned out to be a bad junkie and i lost the car but in the mean time i had bought a cheap 59 (FC) wagon for parts and ended up doing that instead using the motor and other parts from the 57 (FE)
    13 years later i am still playing with it.
    good thing about these things is you can go all out on the engine with the best everything for 10k but were i work, a dealer of new european cars, people spend 20k on a mechanical repair.
    i also love the styling of almost anything from the 50's, especailly futuristic stuff like spacey appliances, i think this is from spending alot of time growing up at my grandmothers amongst all the old junk.
    being poor probably contributed, my fc was about 1/6 the price of what my mates were driving @ $900 with 9 months regestration, but these days i have probably spent the money of two brand new cars in the current rebuild.

15. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

American grafitti, what else?? Been around cars or more exact, love mechanical stuff since I was a kid. First real experience was dismounting and mounting dad's old radio (one of those big fuckers) AND it worked!! Cars has occupied my life since I turned 16, now I'm 51.

16. wvenfield

wvenfield

I couldn't begin to tell you. I always liked old cars. I recall as a little kid driving through the country always being fascinated with the old cars sitting out in the fields. There was one on the way to an aunts house that was wrecked. I always thought it was so cool. LOL

My neighbor had an early 50's Desoto. I always loved the emblems on it as a kid. The guy across the street had a Willy's Gasser that I would lay in bed at night and hear him working on it. (When you are in 2-3 grade and have to go to bed at 8:30 the rest of the world is still up).

I had no concept at the time of what he had but it was just a cool car. To him back then it was just a drag car also.

We had a rear engine riding mower that I learned to pull the front end off the ground like he did with the Willy's.

17. working with my granfather lat age 8 was cleaning tools,holding the drop light,always had hot wheel and anything car related since i was born,got my first car at age 13

18. Rusty

Rusty

19. zzford

zzford

generally, I got into old cars thru the door.

20. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Mom wouldn't let me buy a Duster in high school, forced me to buy her 70 Nova 350 so she could buy a new car. Ran like a scalded cat. Spent many a night on the old country road drag "strip". Then, A motorcycle accident. Totalled my bike had to have transportation. Being poor and in college, bought a 59 Chev truck and the rest is history. I've never had a new car and never drove anything newer than 15 years old.

21. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

My dad and grandpa. Both loved to drag race. It is in my blood!

22. Katula

Katula
    from Austin, TX

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Two bowling shirts ........ My Dad traded two bowling shirts for my first car

24. Seeing these guys

Attached Files:

25. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

drivin around as a little kid with my dad in his 1963 studebaker lark with custom wood dashboard and impala tail lights listening to k-earth 101:D

26. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

I'm not sure how I got into old cars. My first love since I was 2 has been airplanes, my grandpa had got one in 1976 and had flown since for about 20 years. I had a 3-wheeler and a couple dirt bikes in my teens. My senior year I started getting into WW2 stuff pretty good. Bought my first old car in ~95, a 1940 Plymouth P10 4 door sedan. I had plans to fix it up an take it to the WW2 displays that I did. Well that never did happen... didn't have enough time with college and WW2 stuff to work on it. I ended up selling it to someone Granite City / Alton IL area in ~96. I used that money to put a nice stereo in my new 95 Jeep Wrangler at the time. I was a big Jeep nut, going Jeeping in Potosi MO almost every weekend. I didn't get back to old cars till 2001, bought my red/white 56 two weeks before my first son was born, as I sold a lot of my WW2 stuff and bought my first two 56 chevys (one being a parts car). In 2002 I traded my beloved Jeep for the 56 Chevy I have now (3rd since 2001). I am in the process of learning how to do my own body work and eventually paint my car.

27. dgang26

dgang26

My Dad -- he did not really get into racing -- but he did enjoy a good cruise in the ole rod

28. George

George

Want to say American Graffitti, but I remember looking at car magazines before AG came out.

29. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

My white trash neighbors! and the movie "Christine", which my dad let me watch when I was 6 years old..... Warped for life!

30. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

I really can't say for sure nobody in my family or my friends were into cars, When I was 12 I began building model cars and I slowly gained interest from there.