Register now to get rid of these ads!

what got me started

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by disastron13, Nov 21, 2003.

1. disastron13

disastron13

Up in Minnesota visiting family, impulse took me to drive to the bad side of town, down by the Crow river to a junkyard I played in as a kid...old farm equipment, road graders turned over, dump trucks full of bullet holes...saw something back in the trees and just stared.
    It was "Eight Ball".
    Used to ride my bicycle out to this remote farm. Farmer had graded a quarter mile short-track in a field. I'd stand by the fence and watch the old cars run. This was about 65, cars were prewar coupes, late 30s Fords and Chevs with no fenders. Mostly stock motors with two carbs, headers. Once in a while a Buick 8 or Hudson 6 motor stuck in.
    Eight Ball was a 38 Chev coupe with a GMC 6 banger. Differed from the other cars only in...I couldn't have defined it at the time...COOLNESS.
    Black with white doors and the 8 on each door.
    Well now it's sittin with no motor or hood (can't remember if it ran with a hood) and trees growin through it.
    Perfect.
    Can't describe how I felt, seein it.
    And realizing that it was the machine that started me off, cars and bikes, forty years ago.
    Who built it? Are they still alive? Man if they knew what that car meant to me...
    Pretty bueno feelin, seeing it again.
    What started YOU off?

2. TINGLER

TINGLER

Go get that car....

3. D Picasso

D Picasso

ZZ,

how about you and me and Modernbeat go and snatch that '48 while he's here? don't that sound like fun? you bet it does.