Register now to get rid of these ads!

What goes on round Austin Tx? shall i move there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim G, Aug 31, 2010.

1. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

I got through there some years ago when I was driving trucks. I liked it a lot, and would consider moving there or Texas in general. California is getting ##$%^&*(*(*^%$#@%&*(y (politically incorrect hate speech!) by the minute. I always felt welcome in Texas, but Central California has more in common with Texas than it does with the rest of California. I think last year more people moved out of Cali than moved to it for the first time. I used to love it but those days are gone and the legislature favors the bay area and socal over the Valley every time. We get the bay area's bad breath blowing over Altamont pass, while they enjoy all the fresh ocean breezes and penalize us for bad air quality.

2. Tim G

Tim G

Sweet :)

3. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

Caution Caution: There is a lot of traffic in Austin.......and they ALL drive on the right side of the road......even on IH35!

4. Tim G

Tim G

Traffic = bad, right side of the road, not a problem...

I'd actually like to live just outside Austin, maybe in a smaller town. i'm a country boy at heart :)

Actually my gf was looking at some houses for sale when she was out there on the internet, i might be wrong but i think one of them was in Bastrop.

5. BLAKE

BLAKE

We also have scorpions, snakes, and pudgy, spikey lizards that spit blood out of their eyes... and bats... how do you feel about swarms of bats?

6. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Bats aren't so bad, they just need a little extra BBQ sauce!

7. aaggie

aaggie

Leave your umbrella in England, you won't need it in Austin.

8. Tommy R

Tommy R

Good point about the heat and lack of rain. I honestly don't find the heat all that bad, but I'm used to much worse humidity. Don't get me wrong, it's friggin' hot here and with no breeze it can really suck, but overall I think it's tolerable. Just be sure to have a lot of air flow in your garage or, better yet, get a garage with A/C. You'll be drinking a LOT of water down here, for sure. ;)

You'll likely find scorpions and snakes about, especially in the country. I live in a typical suburban area and I find one or two dead scorpions in my house each year, usually in overhead light fixtures! Rattlers and copperheads are a very real possibility in the country, too, so it's best to learn where snakes like to hang out (so you can avoid them) if you don't already know.

Austin is a very unique part of Texas and, IMO, a pretty unique part of the US. I know several people for whom Austin is the only place in Texas they'll live. Many people believe it's that different from the rest of the state. To an extent I agree, but it's still got all the good aspects of Texas living: friendly people, fun atmosphere, great BBQ, beautiful scenary, etc. It's also home to one of the largest universities in the US....the University of Texas Cows or something. :D So it's got a pretty young vibe.

Oh, and generally speaking it's a pretty low crime rate, too. As a result, it's amazing what kind of stuff the local channels will air as "news worthy" around here. :)

9. Tim G

Tim G

Are you trying to put me off? :D

luckily non of the above bother me... i lived in Africa for a couple of years when i was a kid.

10. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Here's the deal... Everybody IN Austin wants to be the last person to MOVE to Austin, so they will tell you all the worst. Yeah, it's not the laid back vibe of the "old" days - lots of young over-acheivers and such. It is very hot in summer. And we think the housing prices are outrageous (much better in Bastrop and surrounding villages). But the food, music, rivers&lakes, culture and people are unmatched. And you can still find the old vibe here and there (south of the river mostly).

So - first gather up a boatload of old BSA, Triumph and Norton bits as you can find over there. Ship it all to Austin. And live well off the sales of that gold til you get discovered as a new rock star at South x Southwest. Right.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Picking a place to live around the Austin area may have more to do with what kind of work you do and how willing you are to drive a distance to get to work. My sisterinlaw and her hubby live out about ten miles past Ryan and her drive into downtown Austin takes about 45 minutes. Their place is great though, no noise except what nature provides and the closest neighbor is a quarter mile away.

12. Lord Purple

Lord Purple

I visited Austin for the first time this year for the Round Up, only there for a couple of days but loved it.

Have sent you a PM.

L.P.

13. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Try the SPICEWOOD area west of Austin lower taxes and you might get to see Willie he plays at the Hill top bar when off the road

14. Ed Zackley

Ed Zackley
    from Hokeyhomey

I lived in Austin Tx. for about 13 years. Shortly after I moved there, I expressed my opinion in a series of letters to the editor of the Austin American Statesman about various political and religious subjects (i.e., the proper way). Shortly after that, the editorial page editor of the American Statesman, Arnold Garcia, showed up at my apartment door and harrassed me for having attempted to speak some Spanish (which I cannot do no matter how hard I try :D), and shortly after that the real harrassment started.

I was harrassed at work, mostly by a guy named David "Fritz" Schuetzeberg, but some others were involved as well, people threw things at me as I walked down the street, I was also poisoned many times (not to kill - just to cause pain; "...and when you feel the pain, hey Jude, refrain...") My sojourn in Austin was a decade-plus long nightmare.

Other than that, it was great! I got to see Johnny Cash at Emo's, The Stray Cats, Leon Russel, The Fabulous Thunderbirds and others at concerts in Zilker Park.

Austin is a beautiful place if you can ignore the 2/3rds of it that is a getto, the homeless children wandering the streets, etc., - oh, and for God's sake, don't publicly criticize the Church, or the idea of homosexuality! Just hang with the beautiful people and refrain from saying anything of substance, and you might escape being ostracized by intolerant people who can't allow different opinions to be expressed ('cause they are, in reality, a bunch of chickenshits).

Have a nice day!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  15. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Wow, Ed don't hold back tell us how you truely fill!

16. Hal_396

Hal_396

Add me to the list. I'm trying to transfer with work to Austin. Should know by this week-end if I am awarded the job there. To top it off, I don't care what other people think about there politics.

18. BLAKE

BLAKE

This is an important decision... so best to simply disregard anything LORD PURPLE has to say on the matter.

:D

19. Lord Purple

Lord Purple

On reflection, Blake is right. The Yay-hoos fed me beer and talked crap all night so what do I know? I definitely would have come away with a warped view.....

20. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Beer, yes, but don't blame the "warped" part on us. You were like that when we found you!:p

21. Lord Purple

Lord Purple

:D Guilty as charged.

22. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

I travel all over the country for work and I find myself in Texas a lot. Austin is a very unique place. For what's it worth they have live music in the F'ing airport AND you can buy a bottle of beer and walk to your gate with it. I hate traveling as much as I do but I have made the special effort to get to know some of my customers personally in Austin cause I love it that much.

Texans are unique people, they have a special pride about being from Texas. I'm from the Midwest and I was raised with Midwestern values. Folks from Texas are that way too and proud of it. Young men say "Maam" and "Please" and "Thank You".

I don't know how true it is but someone from Austin once told me that on any given day there are over 167 acts of live music being performed in Austin. I don't know if that's true but it ain't hard to find a GOOD band playing Texas Red Dirt music that's for sure. Hell Willy Nelson is from Austin and so are the Vaughn brothers for you blues fans. The guys from Austin Speed Shop invite the Paladins to play for cryin' out loud.

I'm not kissing ass but if my parents weren't still alive I'd have moved to Austin years ago. My favorite city in this Country by a very large margin.

One last thing, their summers are hot, F'ing Hot but they catch a break in the winter. If lows in the 50s are your thing you'll love Austin and never look back.

You're wife has family Austin...you lucky bastard.

Andy from STL

23. Tim G

Tim G

Sounds perfect, out in the sticks just enough but not too far to be cut off from civilisation. I'm in the motor trade, painter, mechanic, fabricator but not planning on getting a job in any modern crash repair shop, i'd like to keep my import/export business going in the UK, that's the beauty of the internet :)

FritzTownFord, the bike parts thing may not be a bad idea actually!

24. cac646

cac646

Does anyone have a comment on what the job market and job security is like in Austin (or Texas in general)? Specifically for a young professional engineer??

25. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

If I ever move back to Texas, it'll be to Austin! Tons of fun, family safe stuff to do. I think you'd be happy there.

26. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

Willie is from Abbott, Texas. The Vaughns are from Big D, rockin' Oak Cliff.

I still like Austin though.

dka

27. BLAKE

BLAKE

What the hell is "Texas Red Dirt music"...?

28. Austin is in the heart of Texas, and everyone knows that Texas is GOD's country!:)

29. Ed Zackley

Ed Zackley
    from Hokeyhomey

What, no perma-ban? Dang! I guess I'm just not trying hard enough.:D

When someone who hates the place can only say bad things about it 50% of the time, maybe it's not so bad.

30. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Honky Tonk songs by Texans about Oklahoma?
    Transplanted Okies singin' Texas music?