Register now to get rid of these ads!

What gives Mopar starters their sound ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Dec 24, 2010.

1. The Shocker

The Shocker

What gives a Mopar starter is distinct sound ? I have had many older Ford and Chevy products and they pretty much sound the same ,but every older Mopar i have encountered has that trade mark pitch .I actually kinda like the sound ...

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The reduction gears.

3. HobbyPoor

HobbyPoor
    from Cochran Ga

they are gear reduction starters......most others are direct drive. Gear reduction is much stronger and longer lasting.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yup

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I friend does a great impression of a MOPAR trying to start in cold weather, NO NO NO NO no no no---------------------click.

6. flyin-t

flyin-t

I can remember my dad and his buddies calling that starter sound " a canary in a lathe"

7. moefuzz

moefuzz

as others have stated, they are gear reduction starters.
    'Gear reduction' is the cheapest way to make a starter

8. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Man , I learn sumthin new here everyday , I woulda never guessed that , I just thought it was nature of the beast.....go figure:D

9. The Shocker

The Shocker

Me too.This question has been on my mind for 20 years .I started my Mopar dragcar yesterday (i start it weekly) in 40 degree weather after sitting for 7 days and it reminded me again ."chee ,chee ,chee, chee ,WUMPA ,CACKLE ,CACKLE " :D ...

10. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Have to be cus if a dog pisses on the tires, the ignition system is too wet to start it for a while.......:D

11. I've been wondering about this for 40 years and never thought to ask! Thanks, now I know!

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Geez, I remember from when I was a kid and grandpa started the Dodge: Vwa Vwa Vwa Broooom.

13. Inline

Inline
    from Ohio

I always thought that they sounded like they were laughing at you..

14. DrJ

DrJ

They sound like a laughing hyena playing a kazoo.:p;):cool:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  15. David Chandler

David Chandler

I always thought that they were made of recycled rock crusher parts. I guess I was wrong. But they do have a very distinct sound.

16. garyf

garyf

Most auto makes now use a gear reduction starter.The old saying chrysler was first in engineering,still holds true today!

17. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Ahhhhhhhh, the Highland Park hummingbird!

18. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

The mini starters will cure that for you if you want.

19. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

20. squirrel

squirrel

I get a kick out of watching 70s tv shows, like cop dramas, and they have the Dodge starter soundtrack playing when the Ford starts.....

21. If you listen to ZZ Top's "Manic Mechanic" from the "Deguello" album, they use the actual sound as a musical instrument several times in the song! Guess Billy and Dusty liked it too...

22. Easy Big Guy, tap the brakes a bit.

23. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

not necessarily, but they generate more torque and take less amperage to turn then a direct drive. probably why they sell gear reduction starters for high performance applications

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That sound is like automotive foreplay...

25. storm king

storm king

Mofuzz, if gear reduction was the cheapest way to make starters, GM's would have had them, not Mopar.
    I am a Mopar guy, and I am biased, but I've also looked at factory parts on cars since the early '60's, and GM stuff was always made cheaper and less durable than any Moapr parts I've seen, at any level. Starters and distributors at the top of the list.
    I'm just saying, if gear reduction was the cheapest way to manufacture it, GM would have done it that way, period. Mopar always had better engineering back then, always.

26. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

27. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I have had many older Ford and Chevy products and they pretty much sound the same.[/QUOTE]

I don't know,...... the Y-Block and Flathead starters have a pretty distinctive sound.

28. The Shocker

The Shocker

I don't know,...... the Y-Block and Flathead starters have a pretty distinctive sound.[/QUOTE]
    I was talking about 60's "Windsor" motors ,SBC and inline Chevy / Fords ...

29. Root66

Root66
    from Norcal

Ever notice how many old movies had the Mopar starter sound dubbed into scenes where Fords and GM's were starting up?

30. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Yep, the sound of the Mopar starter, in a class by itself back then.

Around here, it can get pretty cold on some of those winter nights. When we had a couple days below -25 or -30, most of the cars you see on the road early in the morning were Mopars, took that gear reduction to turn those cold motors.

I never had a problem starting my Chrysler products, but like anything, when its real cold, you better know what the car wants or needs to start. Most of mine took two shots of gas, then crank it. Usually fired after about the 2nd revolution over. Usually died after a few seconds, then you repeat the process, let it run for about 30 seconds and you were ready to go. Gene