Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Galaxie are you from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

What Galaxie are you from?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I got married in 1969 in McGregor Tx the lady across the street who was one of my mother in law's best friends had a 64 Galaxie 500 XL that was torquoise with a white interior and every bell and whistle that came on one. To this day it's the best looking mid 60's Ford I have ever scene.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. I think the '63 Fastback is one of the best cars. I had the opportunity to buy a red on red 390 powered one for $500 some years ago. I was young and dumb and wanted a pony car, so I passed it up. So much regret.

4. Well I have always been a fan of the 63 and 1/2s and the '64s. But a good solid Starliner always has been and always will be a contender in my book. Probably given a choice I would lean heavily toward the '64 Sport Coupe. They just had it in spades, and can go any number of ways when being built, custom, street brawler, high banks cruiser. Hmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnn

[​IMG]

I wish you had extended it out a bit, I really like the restyle for '65 I know that it is out of scope for the blog and for that I apologize but I still really like them.

5. flamingokid

flamingokid

Mid 60s Galaxies beat the competition all to heck.There isn't a generation I don't like,but I'll always like my 64 the best.They were just more refined than the competition.My second favorite was my 68 fastback,the "Green Machine".Best full size rat racer ever ;)

6. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  7. gatz

gatz

The 63 1/2 two-door hdtps were such beautiful cars; a vast improvement over the '62 IMO
    My parents bought a new 64 Ford Custom, and even tho' it was a 4dr, I sure liked it.

Owned a red/red 1960 Starliner back in 68 or so. At the time it was just another car. Slipped a 3-speed manual into it.

8. Always wanted a '62 Starlifter.:D;) the \'62 Starlifter.jpg

seatex, flamingokid and hansboomer like this.
  9. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

I had a 65 XL convertible with a 390 FE. That was a sweet ride with the best seats in any car I've ever had.
    But to the original question, 60 is still the best looking post war big Ford, then 63 and 65. The 64 and especially the 59 are the least attractive to my eye. The 61 and 62 are right in the middle.

hans

jesse maxwell and ynottayblock like this.
  10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Makes me think of Nascar's glory days.
    Can you say Dan Gurney, Riverside?
    Dan-Gurney-1963-Riverside-500-.jpg

How about Fastback Freddie Lorenzen? (Racing vs. the Wood's Bros. Galaxie):
    nascar-cup-daytona-500-1963-tiny-lund-and-fred-lorenzen-race-side-by-side.jpg

11. hansboomer

hansboomer
    from new york

Me too. One of my buddies had a 64 drag car with a big FE and those shocks that would hold the front end up. Not exactly a Galaxy, but still way cool. He used to break 3 speed junk yard transmissions every week.

hans

12. jroberts

jroberts

Looks like I am the only one in the '61 camp. I think they are great looking no matter what model. Naturally the Starliners and Sunliners of that year are on the top of the list,but '61 wagons are also very cool. If not a '61 then a '60 would still do just fine.

czuch likes this.
  13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

All of my favorite Fords come from the 'Total Performance' era.

Put me down for a '63 or '64 lightweight R-code Galaxie. Even better if it got an SOHC swap. These cars look good from any angle, drive great, and work well on the drag strip or ovals. Everyone that owned one (or knew someone that did) remembers these cars fondly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. I like the 61's. As mentioned earlier the grille and the tail lights are cool but what caught my eye was the trim being used as the door handles. I of course own a 61 Ranch Wagon so I'm bias.

czuch and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Having owned a couple of them from different years, it's hard for me to pick a favorite. The '61 Starliner ranks high in my book, as well as the '63-1/2, but I'm particularly fond of the '64.

I was a junior in high school in 1995 and bought a running/driving '64 XL 2dr 390/auto for $600. My dad and I did body/paint on it and I drove it year-round for a couple years. I will eventually have another done in a mild custom style.

16. jroberts

jroberts

Back in those days those days LaFayette Ford was right across the street from where the junior high school I attended was. On day I looked out the window of my Algebra class and there was Fred Lorenzen was walking around the car lot. Didn't learn much that day.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

63 1/2 fastback here too. Back in the early eighties, there was a guy a couple years younger than us that bought this cherry black on red 390 4 speed '64 for like $800. we all just shit a brick when he showed up with that car. Damn it was nice. I love all those fords from that '63/'64'/65 time frame.

18. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Since I own one I might be biased but give me a 63 1/2. I really dig 60 Starliners though. IMG_7315.JPG

19. Glad to see this thread. Love me some Galaxie. Make mine a 63 1/2 or a later Starliner.

20. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I lucked out on my 61. The 223 L-6 is untouched. The bearings look fantastic and are standard as are the slugs.
    I'm just gonna hone and re-ring and run. Mostly grocery getter stock two door post base model.
    There is a nicely massaged 351c and a BandM C-6 for it, but there will other projects for that.

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

22. eddie1

eddie1

You aren't the only one in the 61 camp jroberts! My favorite followed closely by the 59. I love the stubby little fin on the 61 & "rocket" taillights.

23. Damn I wasn't aware that they were still around in '62. I thought that they were '60/'61 thing only. Cool.

24. ..........No production cars, Beaner, it was an attempt by Ford to put the "slicker" Starliner roof on the boxy roof of the '62 and slip it past NASCAR tech. It didn't work. Don't know just how many they did up like this, maybe only one.

25. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I've always wanted a 61 Starliner, swap out to the 63 dash, buckets and console. One of my late uncles had a one of every full size 63 Fords, including a 427 and 406 car, along with numerous other cars. I think my cousin sold them all off to settle his estate.

26. Every year has it's own charm...

The '59 reflects the 'Rocket Age' with it's 'jet pod' rear fenders and the clever use of 'stars' in the grill. Still very much '50s styling, being the final restyle of the '57 shell. One of my favorites.

The '60 was an anomaly; a total break with past styling, it's extremely clean design set it apart from all it's competitors and the only Ford product to NOT have round taillights since '51 (and until '65, when Ford finally abandoned round taillights as a signature). Still a timeless look, but not well received at the time. Another reason for it's one-year-only design is it was over-width in some states, exceeding the maximum allowable width for passenger cars (something Ford failed to check before green-lighting the design). If I could have my choice of any of these, this would be the one...

The '61 is the least-successful design IMO. A bit of a hurry-up design to replace the '60, notable for being the last year the Starliner was available and the last year for fins on a full-size Ford.

The '62 was just a refinement of the '61, the fins were gone for good. First year for bucket seats and four-speeds. Lacking a aerodynamic body for NASCAR, Ford tried the 'Starlifter' option. This was a lift-off Starliner-style roof for the convertible but NASCAR didn't allow it for the full season. A handful were built. I'm still kicking myself for not a buying a 406/tripower/4-speed hardtop 'back in the day' but just couldn't swing the $800 (!!!) price at the time...

The '63 was another heavy restyle. Another clean design (although 'goopier' than the '60), the mid-year addition of the SportsRoof was the answer for NASCAR. Introduction of the legendary 427. The last year for the T-bird-styled 'formal' roof. My second choice... with either roof.

The '64 is one I have mixed feelings about. A bit more 'integrated' design compared to the '63, the one design feature I've never cared for was the 'headlight pods' that extend down the sides into the doors.

Now, I'm with Beaner. I think the '65-67 Galaxies were very good looking cars. Rather formal in '65, but a return to a 'clean' design. The '66 and '67 got swoopier styling and by '67 Ford got pretty heavy-handed with the trim but even so, still pretty clean designs.

27. silverdome

silverdome

28. They made enough to satisfy NASCAR production requirements, but they submitted it late in the year. They tried to run it at Charlotte in May and that is where the decision was made by NASCAR not to allow it. I have the clipping from the Charlotte paper with an interview with Holman Moody about being turned down somewhere. I saw it not long ago.

29. flamingokid

flamingokid

Heck,if Andy Taylor drove one,they're good enough for me. 64ford.jpg