Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What frame can be used for a 1952 hudson wasp

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hudson52sam, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

The frame its got is ok right now except for the rear its got some bad spots, but would feel allot better having something better, so I haven't measured yet , but would Chevy, Ford or any of them work, and is it possible to have a full frame?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. Chevy S-10 should be an easy swap

Hudson52sam likes this.
  3. Maybe a 52 Hudson wasp frame???? Whats wrong with yours?

4. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

The rear has some bad spots

5. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

Is it a full frame?

6. Hudson was the first major user of perimeter-type frames (the outer frame rails are basically the rockers), plus it's actually a unibody design; the frame is a structural component of the body. The rest of Detroit didn't fully adopt this design until the 60s. Pretty much any frame you try to put under the car without major mods will raise it up significantly, it will be easier to repair any damage. Or look into a subframe; a lot of the chassis outfits offer 'back half' subframes, maybe somebody has something that can be modded to fit.

Hnstray and Hudson52sam like this.
  7. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

8. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

Thank you crazy Steve

9. triman62

triman62

52 Wasp has a perimeter frame that is hell for stout, these stock frames are easily capable of highway speeds and really handle well. The low center of gravity was largely responsible for the impressive record wins in early Nascar history. There are several areas prone to rust, which would be easier to repair, than to remove the body off of the frame. I have seen one done on an S-10 frame though, recently on ebay ( currently in completed listings) with some good pics of the work.

Hudson52sam likes this.
  10. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

Found this on another post on here , not saying I would do it , but this guy did some custom work

Here is an update, I decided to stub the front of the car with nova rear steer suspension mostly because of the aftermarket parts and the ability to fully tune the suspension with tubular control arms. The other reason is the disc brake availability, I will be installing 13" rotors with the tubular control arms. I installed a c4 corvette rear from a 1993 corvette and will add coilovers in the back again fully tunable, the hudson will not only stop now but out corner the rest of the hudson's. The brake booster is from a 1988 Thunderbird turbo coupe along with the pedal assembly, I will use a gm tilt column, this Hudson is a real Heinz 57.

11. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

52 Wasp has a perimeter frame that is hell for stout, these stock frames are easily capable of highway speeds and really handle well. The low center of gravity was largely responsible for the impressive record wins in early Nascar history. There are several areas prone to rust, which would be easier to repair, than to remove the body off of the frame. I have seen one done on an S-10 frame though, recently on ebay ( currently in completed listings) with some good pics of the work.

How would I go about on repair, cut out the bad spots and weld new frame in? I have no complaints frame wise , the car cruises nice

12. triman62

triman62

Yes, will probably have to make, or have a metal shop make patch pieces.