Register now to get rid of these ads!

what flattie in 40's ford pu ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by briggs&strattonChev, Dec 2, 2003.

1. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Hey guys/gals. I found this truck on ebay and it says "40's pickup." The seller doesnt know the year, but im wondering what flathead would be in it. Were they all V8's or could you get a 6 cylinder too? If you know about these help me out please. Heres the ebay item: Ford pickup

Thanks
    Briggs

2. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

his ad says "headS" so i'd assume he meant plural,as in two heads,,,looks like a good buy

3. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

yeah its a V8, I didnt read it at first but in the title it even says V8 lol. Which one is it?

4. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

haha,i missed that part too [​IMG],pretty sure a 59A

48-52

5. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

where there any other V8 options in the 48-52 pickups other than the 59A?

6. cadlights

cadlights
    from Hooper, Ut

8BA was in the 49 to 52's, I'm not to sure about the 48.

7. mtflat

mtflat

59AB's technically began in 1945 (notice the '5') after the war and continued in the cars thru 1948. Cars rec'd the 8BA in '49

That truck is most likely a 49 or early '50 o/b several small details. Wing window divider appears black, I'm guessing the wheels were body color, small rear window, etc.
    And it should be an 8RT/8BA engine.

Trucks rec'd the 8BA/8RT in Jan 1948 one full model year ahead of the cars. Ford used the flathead V8 thru '53 in the US and '54 in Canada.

8. Here's a photo of my '47-59A. It's a BEAUTY, completely fresh and it looks good to. Came with a NICE A bone tudor I bought in sept, has a fresh 39-3speed to get bolted up also...

Attached Files:

9. LIMEY

LIMEY

A pic!

Attached Files:

10. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

11. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

[ QUOTE ]
    referred to as the "8BA" type for Ford and "8CM" for Mercury. The truck version was identified as an "8RT".

[/ QUOTE ]

if this is the 8RT truck engine, are all 8BA parts interchangable?

12. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Yep.

Don't get too caught up in what the engines are called or what they are stamped.

13. raven

raven

I have one simple question,
    is the flathead a full oiler engine?
    r

14. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

[ QUOTE ]
    I have one simple question,
    is the flathead a full oiler engine?
    r

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly is a full oiler engine?

Ford flatheads only had (minimal) factory oil filtration from 49 to 53.

15. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

the seller email me and said that he removed the heads (you know what I mean!) and intake and carb a year ago. It wasnt stuck then, but one of the lifters were and the pushrod went through it. How does that happen, would it have been rusted out or what? IDK anything about flatties really. Im interested in learning though. Would it be tough to find a set of lifters for an 8BA (I asked him to look at the heads and they said 8BA, so maybe it was a car engine originally if trucks only came with 8RT's)? Are parts hard to find for an 8BA? Does anyone make a rebuild kit (rings, mains etc)? Help if you know please.

Thanks
    Briggs

16. mtflat

mtflat

Briggs, you're in luck. There are flathead parts available in abundance from tons of suppliers. I'd recommend you get hold of Red's Headers or Patrick's for your engine supplies. Both are super to deal with, don't mind newcomer questions and are reasonable.

Yes, lifters are available new. No, the guy didn't have a pushrod go thru one. In a flatty, the lifter sits directly on the cam lobe. On top of the lifter is the valve stem and guide assembly. NO pushrods - those are for OHV engines.

Fortunately any 49-53 flathead parts will interchange. Fords or Mercs are all the same. Bolt on accessories were specific to application, so some units need to be kept together, but they'll all work. Ask when you have specific questions - and have fun. These are simple engines!

17. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

Yeah, what mtflat said.

You can find all kinds of flathead parts in all kinds of places. There's been a renewed interest in flatheads recently, and there's all kinds of speed goodies available.

Check out:
    Kanter Auto Parts
    Flathead Jack
    Speedway Motors
    Mac's Auto Parts
    ...to name a few.

If you want to buy an engine by itself, or a different vehicle, I'd suggest looking at the Fordbarn classifieds:
    Stuff for sale: http://www.fordbarn.com/v8swap/
    Or, general info: http://www.fordbarn.com/earlyv8/forum03/

Double check this webpage too:
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm
    You'll learn almost everything there is to know about a flathead Ford.

Finally, try to find someone near you who has some flathead blocks in various states of tear-down and build-up. When I got a chance to see these things up close and personal, I understood how simple and understandable they were. Just like mtflat said.

18. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

haha shit, I feel like a jackass asking about the pushrod lol, I KNEW that lol. At least I havnt asked about valve covers yet lol

Briggs

19. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

the guy said if I offered him $75 he'd end the auction. I think I just bought my FIRST BOAT ANCHOR!!!!! Im so psyched!! Thanks for the help!

Damn im excited
    Briggs

20. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Annoying factoid from the past: Ford catalogs referred to flathead part basic number 6500, what I would call a lifter, as "rod (push)". Also, the manifold was listed as "cover (valve chamber)".Sooo, next time you're out buying parts, DEMAND to see those pushrods and valve cover gaskets for your flatty!!

21. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

You can still buy just about anything you need for those engines. Aside from some minor differences, the 8BA and 8RT were essentially the same. If you want to learn about flathead V8's let me make a couple suggestions:

1) Check out the flathead related forums and post questions there as well. There are several (Fordbarn, MSN, Yahoo Groups, the Early Ford V8 Club forum).

2) There are several good books available from authors who have a lot of experience with Ford flathead engines. You can usually buy these from online bookstores. A simple search will pop them up.

3) The website below is a good starter for flathead education, plus it's full of parts drawings, wiring diagrams, tuneup specs, and more. Perhaps the best thing is to check out the Related Links page for lots of sources for parts and services, as well as the various forums.

The Ford Flathead V8 Engine site

22. Paul2748

Paul2748

The picture is of a 48 if I'm not mistaken. Probably a 59A but who knows what may have been changed over the years

23. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

[ QUOTE ]
    The picture is of a 48 if I'm not mistaken. Probably a 59A but who knows what may have been changed over the years

[/ QUOTE ]

I emailed him and asked him what the heads said and he told me 8BA. I Sent the money order today!!

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Congratulations. We love to have another flatheadder here.
    Warning: You will be in love for the rest of your life.
    you go boy!