Register now to get rid of these ads!

what flathead oil to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captain j, Mar 6, 2011.

1. captain j

captain j

I have researched on here trying to find out what type and weight oil to us in my 53 stock flathead. I don't know what is currently in there now but it runs normal. I'd like to keep it running for a long time if possible.
    I have ready about using something high in zinc, but you read so many diff things on here.
    Should I buy regular oil and just add a can of zinc additive?
    What brand and weights do you all use?

thanks josh

2. barry wny

barry wny

Rotella T I used in my 855 cummins supposed to have all the detergent zinc & such needed & understand it's best for flatheads or any Tappet motor. I use 15-40 new motor plan to go 10-40 open car not a lot of cold driving.

3. StrickV8

StrickV8

i use Castrol 20W50 year-round down here in GA. ZDDP zinc oil additive is also something you might want to consider.

4. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Brad Penn - has all the zinc you need

5. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

side valve is correct brad penn is the shit hands down.No screwing around with zinc additive or anything esle.I use it and love the stuff

6. captain j

captain j

what weight brad penn would you use, I live in NJ so the car would be driven all seasons but winter.
    Also are there different types of brad penn?

7. Once again!
    Zinc additive is not needed in a stock flathead. ZDDP was only intended for the OHV engines that came out late 40s, early 50s with higher valve spring pressures. In fact, oil refined in the 30s had none.
    However, a modified flattie with strong valve springs and a replacement cam which may have been ground on a chinese billet should have ZDDP added.
    Shell Rotella no longer has high enough levels of ZDDP. Kendall, Penn and some others do. Be careful with adding ZDDP, there is a school of thought that considers too much is harmful, due to the additive displacing cushioning agents in the oil. Best to use oil that already has it mixed, I guess.

8. big bad john

big bad john

.....Right on the money.....use in my two flatheads with no problem

9. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I was thinking of changing to Schaeffer synthetic in my flathead, any of you guy's got a pro and con on that thought, just curious as to traditional oil is so $tinking high and the syn's go longer between oil drops.

10. RAY With

RAY With

I use valvoline Racing oil in my flatty and 4 banger and never problems and it has all the zinc needed and it keeps all the moving parts clean.

11. Ford Guy

Ford Guy

x2 on the Valvoline VR1 racing oil in my flathead. 20-50 wt off the shelf at Autozone. Or 10w30 if you can find it.

12. FityFive

FityFive

Valvoline VR1.

13. thesupersized

thesupersized

i just use non detergent straight 30...

14. Paul2748

Paul2748

Wrong on Shell Rotella. 1100PPM of zddp.

Any 20/50 dino oil has enough zddp, don't know about synthetic. I use both Rotella and Casstrol 20/50 in my yBlocks and 302 with no problems.

15. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

When it comes to oil for flatheads, about the only thing everyone seems to agree on is that they do need it. Personally, I use Mobil Delvac 15w-40.

16. HD74

HD74

Since your trying to keep the flatty going and not a re-build. I think you have to be careful with detergent oils you don't want X-amount of years of slug to start circulating. I had the same issue when I got my flathead. Everything I've read say just ran non detergent 30w.
    When I broke the french FH in I used valvoline VR1.