Register now to get rid of these ads!

What famous car made the biggest impression on you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassercrazy41, Jun 17, 2011.

1. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

My second issue of Hot Rod Magazine had an article on Hugh Tucker's killer AA/SR. The first time I ever got to go to the drags, I saw him match race Stone-Woods-Cook at Lions. I wasn't very old, but the images are still clear over forty five years later.

2. CANS01

CANS01
    from Illinois

3. Tony

Tony

I'm boring, but being at a young age when i first saw American Graffiti and Hollywood Knights there were two car's (both typical) that left a heavy impression on me.
    Milners coupe, and Project X.
    And because of them i've owned a 57 Chevy for 22 years, and a steel 32 5 window for 10.
    HUGE impression on me :)
    For customs (mild anyway), i loved the Merc from Rebel Without a Cause too, but for some odd reason havn't built one like it.....yet anyway! haha

Tony

4. I have to vote on the "JADE IDOL", modern car with the most dramatic customising of that era.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Bummer...but i bet that kit could be found

Mine was lost to a house fire..what a drag

On the Mopar subject..O/T that is..my next project is to get my 440 aztec gold 68 charger back on the road....3rd one ive owned:cool:.

think i may have to sell my 53 chevy to get it done after sinking time and money into this A

6. 296ardun

296ardun

Yes, the Baskerville roadster...I built my second fuel dragster in a shop on North Lake in Pasadena, next to a gas station...Paul Hornung, who built it, worked there and I saw the car every weekend when I worked on my car (garage was right next to Gil Hayword's "Monkey Motion" altered shop)....Paul died in a motorcycle accident and the roadster went to Gray...

7. 296ardun

296ardun

I got a very close look at Tucker's roadster from the back, when he beat me at San Gabriel, '62...sad thing was that it was for little eliminator and I was driving a dragster, and he a "street" car...my plug wires blew off during the run so at least I had an excuse!...great car, glad it has been found and restored

8. Easy! The Greer-Black -Prudomme yellow car! That's a race car!!

9. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

that is a very cool car!:cool:

10. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

I know it's gay, but i was young... without a doubt... Batmobile.. original 1960's Batmobile. Blew my mind and helped me to spend a ton of money every year since on car goodies.

[​IMG]

11. Well here's my famous ones. Including the El Matador at the top, which I eventually owned, and the Beatnic Bandit that I featured in a show in 1961.

Attached Files:

12. 500LBGorilla

500LBGorilla
    from Austin Tx

I'm right there with ya..
    That and the Black beauty, and after my old man took me to see American Graffiti Falfa's 55

13. The yellow '57 chevy in the movie Macon County.

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I have no idea. maybe some old primer gray Willys in the movie Hot Rod?

15. These are some of my favorites as a kid growing up in the 60's that I still like to this day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

there's a guy in Connecticut by the name of Mike Zimmerman who is building a replica of the 60's Batmobile. spot on too!

17. Without a doubt.....
    James Deans Merc
    Ed Roth's Beatnik Bandit

18. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

beatnik bandit did it for me as well....

19. TerrorSwain

TerrorSwain

I'm a young'n. So The Monster Garage 54 Chevy, introduced me to the world of sectioning, and the great builders! I am still convinced I will never have the balls to section a car....lol. And the cars from Happy Daze and American Graffiti really got me started along with my dad's car (23 t-bucket)

20. 48bill

48bill

There a a lot that made an impression from customs to hot rods. Bo Jone's modified is probably the current largest as I am building my version of this..

Attached Files:

21. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

22. froghawk

froghawk

Not an individual car, but it was the '57 Dodge line that created a life-long obsession with the cars of that era, later to include customs and hot rods.

I was not quite four years old when they were introduced on TV during the Lawrence Welk show (staple viewing in our house at the time.) The redeeming feature for me was that show with all its horrible music was sponsored by Dodge. When those ads came on I got as close to the screen as I could without getting yelled at. Those cars were so much more modern than our '54 Ford Customline Ranch Wagon!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cm05NKd1GhM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="425"></iframe>

23. davidh73750

davidh73750

I have to say most of the cars on American Graffiti as well. I wonder how much cheaper tri 5's would be today without that movie. LOL I can remember seeing that movie first around 79' and I was 7. I should've bought one of these back in the 80's when they were cheaper instead of a disco 79 camaro??:eek:

24. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

What did it for me was a flamed black 40 Ford coupe I saw in Hot Rod magazine around '73 or '74.

25. Easy choices...a good start, but there's always more...:D

Attached Files:

26. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

thanks for posting the pics..very cool

27. dmikulec

dmikulec

Going way back, the first one's would be the Barris Munster Coach and Dragula. :cool:

28. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

He has built quite a number of cars that have made impressions on me as well....

29. Normbc9

Normbc9

For me it was in 1956 at the Paradise Mesa Drag strip east of San Diego and the car that stunned the crowd was the roadster from Tucson called the Speed Spot Special. It was a beauty and also the top time of the day for three weeks in a row. That was very clean, nicely built and very fast Chrysler 331.

30. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here is the Speed Sport Roadster which is now in the NHRA Wally Parks Museum in Pomona, CA.
    Normbc9

Attached Files: