Register now to get rid of these ads!

What famous car made the biggest impression on you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassercrazy41, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Mine isn't even a "real" car but a lot of you are familiar with it, the '40 Ford Coupe on the original AMT 3 In 1 kit's box art. That's the one that lit the fire for me way back in 1961. Also the first model I ever built, I found an original box in good condition awhile back in an "antique" (junk) store for $3. It was the find of a lifetime for me.

2. dirty4

dirty4

77 sunset strip!...that was the show that got it started for me....

3. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

I think it was 78 or 79 but i was 12 and i still remember riding my bicycle to the stationary store with enough money for a coke and a snickers as well as the latest Rod n custom mag with lil johns t on the cover.
    I couldent put it down,I followed his car and bike prodjects all throughout the 80s and 90s.I loved the clean cleverness of his stuff.
    A true craftsmen to say the least.
    One great i wished i would have met.

4. White graffiti 58

5. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

PURE HELL by a mile . most awesome AA/FA ever .............. steve

[​IMG]

6. Harms Way

Harms Way

You mean "quarter mile" don't you ???:D

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I was 14 when this thing hit the magazines. I sent away for my fist annual magazine because it was on the cover. And then I walked out of my front door in Maryland and it drove up my street! I had to pinch myself. Yes it was the real thing. I finally got to see it in person again at the Gettysburg show after it was restored.

I always wanted to build a custom but I like my old hotrods.

8. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

The '55 was featured in Popular Hotrod during that time and also appeared in Car Craft in the November '78 issue.[/QUOTE]

I've been looking for these magazines for years....I thought it was "Hot Rod". If you still have the magazine is there a story in there about a '55 with a Hemi in it? What a '55!!!

Thanks,
    Larry

9. yekoms

yekoms

Can't name just one. Lots of them on this thread. It's like "best friend". Many very good ones but for different reasons...

I have no pics of Jersey Suede. Lance please send me a pic.
    Smokey

Attached Files:

10. [[​IMG]ooks

I was 14 when this thing hit the magazines. I sent away for my fist annual magazine because it was on the cover. And then I walked out of my front door in Maryland and it drove up my street! I had to pinch myself. Yes it was the real thing. I finally got to see it in person again at the Gettysburg show after it was restored.

Same here Tommy, I was 14 and in Love with all those California Kustoms in the Little books. Ons summer day, I walked over to Our local Shopping Center (Hillcrest Heights) and Wow! There sat the Aztec and several other Kool Kustons including John Pomeroys "Misty Pearl" ! I was in Heaven...I stayed until they all drove away! They were there to promote the Ram Rods show the upcoming weekend. I remember it like it was yesterday, glad Barry found it and restored it !

11. hotrod fozzie

hotrod fozzie

HOTRODS = Pete & Jakes- "Limefire" 32 roadster

PROSTREET = Trot Trepanier - 60 impalia "PROBOX"

CUSTOM = Billy Gibbons - "CADZILLA"

posters of all three graced my bedroom walls back in H.S :cool:

Attached Files:

12. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

hirotaha, cadzilla, but more than anyting my dad's 35 ford coupe. spent my formative years rolling around the back floorboard of that car and learning to love hot rods.

13. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

I had two cars that made the biggest impression on me.

The 15 OZ. fuel coupe, Les Hawkins lived up the street from me.
    The other one was Dean Lowes 29 Ford Roadster Pick up, Deans brother Jack and me used to dream about the day we could have something like that roadster to drive

14. Ricky B

Ricky B

Sam Hollingsworth '57 Nomad !!!!!!
    I just had to put the clone photo on here.........:cool:

I'd have to say the Bellflower style influenced me......& my Dad's '59 Pontiac Star Chief, we used to do a lot of "boating" in that beast.

Attached Files:

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't pick just 1. The R&C Dream Truck was a good one (1st version, hate the fins), Moonglow, of course most all of the Barris Mercs. Just about any Tom Hanna-bodied dragster, early altered WB fuel cpes, early floppers. The inimitable Ford GT-40 and several Deusenbergs play a part, but the 34 Packard Dietrich Stationary Cpe is right at the top of my list. I've seen 2 up close and personal and I can't explain what it does to me. Something on a 147" WB that looks low and sporty (!) as well as a dominating presence over anything it's near.

16. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

awesome thanks guys!!

17. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

Ron Aguirre's X-Sonic. I love all of the versions of the car but I think I like this one the best.

Attached Files:

18. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

when did that model come out??

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Ohio George Montgomery's '33 Willys immediately came to mind. I've wanted a Cammer ever since. The Gassers and fuel altereds were my favorite cars while growing up.

20. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Custom cars it would have to be the "Uncertain T". Drag cars, anything 48 Anglia or 33 Willys.

21. delaware1930

delaware1930
    from Delaware

Hands down for me it was scrape as a young man i watched this car being built not far from my home and now it inspired me to do what i love and build cars for a living and not a hobby. That car has also let me make a great friend in ram mosher of rams rod shop the orginal builder of scrape.

22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For me, it was Bill Block's '36 Ford 3 Window coupe, "Brandy's Chariot". When I first saw it in it's original iteration in the late '50's, I fell in love with '36 3 Windows because of the inherent classic beauty of the factory design. I loved that car. About 1960, he completely redid it as a show custom with such things as quad headlights and a kitchen drawer pull grille, which for me at least, just ruined the car. I thought it was hideous, and could not believe that anyone would do that to such a inherently beautiful design.:eek:

23. skreemin

skreemin
    from Salem Or

Dude, we should hang out some time.

24. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

these are all so cool...

25. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

I do not know who owned the car and I can not remember if it was in street rodder magizine or hot rod or rod and custom but it was a red flamed 1940 ford deluxe coupe with halibrand wheels.

If anyone knows who owns it or has picture feel free to let me know

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  26. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

impression hell , made me hungry.
    "and the bowtie rolls on"

Attached Files:

27. Ricky B

Ricky B

Not sure ?!?! I have an '85 reissue different box.
    The R & C was a '67 mag....

28. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

This one. When Norm Grabowski's T was featured in a 1957 issue of Life Magazine ... my head hasn't been the same since. :p

Attached Files:

29. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

I've been looking for these magazines for years....I thought it was "Hot Rod". If you still have the magazine is there a story in there about a '55 with a Hemi in it? What a '55!!!

Thanks,
    Larry[/QUOTE]

You are correct, sir! The '55 also was pictured in the Oct. '78 issue of Hot Rod. Also, it was Popular Hot Rodding, not Popular Hotrod. I have the issue ... just don't remember where I put it!

30. harley rider

harley rider

KKOA shows are the best .if you get a chance to make to the show in salina take it .the coolest car show ever. especialy with the friday night drag racing and kakkle fest at the old air strip its just like goin back in time.