Register now to get rid of these ads!

What famous car made the biggest impression on you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassercrazy41, Jun 17, 2011.

1. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

When I was 14 I loved the T buckets. I even went as far as getting plans to build one. Then a few years latter the California Kid came out I was hooked!

2. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

3. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

When i was a kid The Munsters was my show to watch
    when they pulled this out i knew one day id build one ,,so i did ,we,ll Munster inspired anyway or should i say Barris inspired lol .LSR 09 .

Attached Files:

4. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

It wasn't a famous car but my uncle's Y-block powered 49 Ford 2 door made a big impression on me. I remember it running pretty good! The funny thing is I remember my Mom going on about how cruel her brother was for putting seat belts in that car and making his kids buckle them. She thought it was mean since the kids couldn't see out. Back then I our family car was a 56 Ford 2 door post, I remember riding in it, standing up in the back seat watching the speedometer needle hovering at 120 mph. How times change!

5. Hot Rod Dan

Hot Rod Dan
    from Texas

6. sixty-fouronthefloor

sixty-fouronthefloor
    from Wyoming

The '58 Impala from American Graffiti

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. best2923

best2923
    from north Id

my dads 66 lemans dirt track stock car.

8. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

Dukes of Hazzard's "General Lee" for me.
    Finally built my own Charger a few years ago...just couldn't help myself. Not a General Lee clone but exactly what I wanted.

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. The Jack Calori '36 three window has always been my favorite! I saw that car when I was just a kid in the '50's and have never gotten over it...I have a '36 3w now that I am working on....finally!

10. My favorite has always been the Doug Rice Coupe...."The Bonneville Boomer" in the December 1954 HRM....made me fall in love with 39-40 Fords. I first saw the article when I was 13 in 1957. Doug competed at Bonneville from 1952 to 1954 in the coupe. I finally met up with the Boomer......COOP to COUPE at the Salt last year. Thanks, Don Richardson for restoring the Doug Rice Coupe!
    Bonneville Boomer HRM Dec 1954.jpg
    COOP to COUPE at Salt Sign.JPG
    COOP to COUPE.jpg
    WOW! I'M REALLY GETTING OLD! JUST FOUND OUT I HAD ALREADY POSTED ABOUT THIS A WHILE BACK!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  11. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

12. tfarrell

tfarrell

Bandit's 1976 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am "Special Edition" (made to look like a '77)
    Also, anything that Ed "Big Daddy" Roth or Barris Kustoms made...what kid growing up in the '70's didn't want the "Beatnik Bandit" or their own "Batmobile"?
    Honorable mention though they didn't really exist: Speed Racer's Mach 5 or Racer X's Shooting Star! Bam!

13. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

After going through this whole post, I find it interesting that the vast majority of examples given are of cars that are rather freakish visually.
    Most people seem to be drawn more to the absurd, rather than giving examples of understated, graceful shapes.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  14. Rocket88

Rocket88

Lee Pratt's 41 Buick, I still have the magazine.

Attached Files:

15. eddie1

eddie1

Bear in mind I grew up in the 70's. It has to be Ralph's RPU on Happy Days & The Bandits black Trans Am.

16. The light blue/ice blue Stone Woods & Cook. And this pic/memory is why

[​IMG]

17. Beach Boy 'surfin safari' and 'little deuce coupe' album covers (model a and '32 ford). When they came out in '62-'63 I was a snot nosed 12 year old surfer just starting to dig hot rods.

50 years later and I still drive around in a souped up model a. Mercy.

18. Buzznut

Buzznut

The Bullitt Charger:

[​IMG]

The Snake Cuda:

[​IMG]

The Stone, Woods and Cook Willys gasser:

[​IMG]

19. Buzznut

Buzznut

20. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Mazzolini's '64 Ply sedan, 400 inches n/a - 9-teens @ Palmdale (late eighties)

21. hotrod0317

hotrod0317

For me it was some cartoons like Suzie the little blue coupe, jhonny jet, motorama, car of tomorrow, and cabs family I can remember watching them since I was about 5. Heck seeing suzie get taken to the junkyard still makes me sad. As for real cars I would have to say the ala kart, monkeemobile, hirihota merc, anything with one of gene windfields paintjobs on it, most of the cars designed by ed roth, the Cobra merc with sylvester stallone.

Cars like these made the biggest impact on me. if there is anything with a story it makes it that much better.

22. bcr466

bcr466

I guess it would be the one I saw when I was very young. It was on tour and my uncle took us to see it at a local drive in theatre, time was in the 50s.The car was on the back of a truck with open sides so you could view it from the side only. It was a 1934 Ford 4 door known as the Warren car because it was bought new by Ruth Warren. It was stolen shortly there after with the driver putting some 2500 or so miles before they were caught up with. The young couple in their early twenties that met their death in this car was Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker. Now some 60 years later the impression that car made on a young boy is still there. I hope to see it again before my final ride.

23. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

This one made a bit of an impression on me back in the day.

Attached Files:

24. Don't know if this has been posted or not but back in the 60's , maybe 65 Chrysler had their turbine on display at the outside mall. They put a nickle on edge on the block and started it up and revvedit . Nickle did not fall over.
    Turbine was very impressive at the time. There was also a hotrod turbine in HR.:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IF0VbUb_Ug

25. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car is at Whiskey Petes at Primm, Nevada. Good place to visit in the winter.

26. TJ Muroc

TJ Muroc
    from Norway

There are several cars that changed my life. I am born in 1969.

The Eastwood and Baracat for my love of 32 tudors, primer, Halibrands and Firestone dirt track tires.

Barry Lobeck roadster for halibrands, dirt tracktires and 59 buick drums.

Limefire for spindlemounts and dirttracks. Bought my first sets of halibrands as a teen in 1988. I have lots of buickdrums and dirttracks now. and a 32 Ford.

ZZ top 33 coupe. ( I have 33 coupe with halibrands )

Kitte perssons 32 roadster with duvall windshield and whitewalls ( 1985)

Rob Kittillas black primer hemi 32 roadster (1987?) it was in the film Pat Ganahl made in 1992? ( Ive had 4 early hemis and lots of primer cars)

The rake and stance of Larry Bragas orange halibrand equipped 29 roadster ( I have a 29fendred roadster)

But the car that changed me most is the Ian Dawes black 1941 Willys coupe called Badrat 2 from England. That was bithin. I think it was published in US too.
    That car got me hooked on willys. Ive owned 13 willys (mostly sedans) . Built a hemi steel coupe with Halibrands of course.
    I met Ian Dawes in England and I introduced myself with the words: Are you Ian Dawes? You changed my life.
    TJ

27. 27troadster

27troadster

John Milner's Coupe will always be "the fastest car in the valley" then, Big Al (V12 allison type), Stone Woods and Cook's Willies, Wild Willie Borsh driving the Winged Express, TV Tommy Ivo's 4-engine, 4-wheel drive dragster, Norm Grabowski's T, Edlebrock's T with the Essex frame.....

I can't pick just one!!!!

28. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Living on the ranch with one channel, I'd have to say Bud's tub on Father Knows best, then the Munster car and the Beverly Hillbilly car. I never got to see real cars but I remember coming out of the movies and there was a Black nose high 63 1/2 427 Galaxy with the well pipe dumps open and "Bad News" on the lower front fender.
    Jump ahead a year or so and we moved to town, Dad bought a filling station. I got to gas up an Auburn boat tail speedster. Dude was driving it coast to coast. It had a 413 Chrysler engine.

29. stimpy

stimpy

all the funny cars and gassers of the 60's and 70's , when you could identify the brand and models , but loved the willys cars with the blower out the hood

30. What famous car made the biggest impression on you?

There were 2 actually......and neither was a drag car or hot rod
    Maybe not nationally famous but famous in the North East.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]