Register now to get rid of these ads!

What famous car made the biggest impression on you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gassercrazy41, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Being a child of the 70's all the "Graffiti" cars were the ones along with various others mentioned here. But being in an English family I had other influences from "over home". My granny sent me these cool playing cards from England that had various sets of cars on them. Weird commuter cars, Movie cars, sports cars and land speed cars. There were 4 of each type of cars ( almost like playing cars had 4 suites) One of them was this one.

Attached Files:

2. JimSibley

JimSibley

Im gonna say the red baron, or the beatnick bandit. Man I like some jacked up cars.

3. Tony LaMesa Deuce

4. 87notch

87notch
    from kentucky

Milners coupe, California kid, James Dean's Merc.

5. MRK

MRK

My neighbors '55 Ranch Wagon and his brothers '56 Chevy with the fender well headers that could pull the front wheels!
    The Batmobile, The Munsters Coach, Dragula and the Monkee Mobile.
    Monogram models like the "Uncertain T", Boothill Express and the Red Baron. Revell's "big" funny car models in the '70's and the '56 F100. I once built that '56 F100 5 different ways for the Coconino County Fair! I think I even won a ribbon! Slot cars, go kats and mini bikes. All that stuff had an impression on me but the biggest had to Ross Jenkin's '63 Galaxie 500 lowrider that had "Tears of a Clown" written on the 1/4 windows and organ pipe speakers on the rear shelf. That car was bad a$$.

6. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

7. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Now Iam high and hard

8. cigarcaptain

cigarcaptain

Arnie "The Farmer" Beswick, used to watch him at the Cordova Drag Strip,his cars gave me the fever.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      77.2 KB
      Views:
  9. ottos

ottos

when i was young im embarrest now to say i loved this car...now i love falfas 55 chevy...

Attached Files:

10. Growing up in Sun Valley, CA in the 50s and 60s, seeing Norm in the Kookie Car, the red tub (Porter) and the later Corvair bikes is something I'll never forget

11. FOOFZ

FOOFZ
    from houston

All the fast and furious cars are pretty cool...

12. Hambone64

Hambone64

I loved watching a half hour's worth of comparison propaganda films! They speed, brake, slalom, and road course test 57 Fords, Buicks, Oldsmobiles, Lincolns, Dodges, Chryslers, and a Cadillac. Putting 3 up against each other at a time usually. Proving every time that the MOPAR products are better in every way. I emplore everyone to watch the old commercials on Youtube. Very entertaining

13. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

The late Tom McMullens Roadster did it for me also. R.I.P. Tom

14. MalibuKasey

MalibuKasey

hmmm well.... being a bit younger... Id have to say the General Lee.... then as I got older... the Twolane 55.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Hope I don't get flamed for this one...
    Yes, I still love these cars..
    It seems we're always chatting about the motor that could...... ;)

Attached Files:

16. Special Ed

Special Ed

17. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

18. Deuces

Deuces

I have that^^^ issue somewhere.... :)

19. patina33

patina33

When I as a kid growing up in Cincinnati Ohio, there was a car show at Music Hall. As kids, we would always go on set-up night. Don't ask me why, but I got to help push the "Little Deuce Coupe" to it's spot in the hall. I was on cloud 9. At that moment I said I was going to do this some day. No car show car, but a couple of old hot rods.

20. Because my '40 was set aside for me when I was around 5 years old, I had PLENTY of time to scheme and dream about it, but specific '40's that were highly influential on me:

Gene Sonnen's coupe (number 1 entry of the 1970 Peoria Nats)
    Frank Oddo's coupe
    Gary Opitz '40 coupe (ok...not so famous, but a picture that I took of that car back in the late '70's hung in my high school locker, dorm room in college, and desk at work)

Non '40 influences:
    Pete, Jake and Jim's coupes
    Gray's roadster
    Jake's Panel and pickup
    Eastwood & Barakat sedan
    Dick Carroll's '32 5 window and his '34 roadster (again, not famous to most, but they are in my world!)

21. 5w32

5w32

i know its not a real car ( even though there is one on the cover of the lp) but the Beach Boys song about the "little deuce coupe" must have really drilled it into my brain. i'm pretty sure i wore that record out!

as for real cars Gary Coe's "the gunfighter" had a big impression

22. 5w32

5w32

my little deuce coupe and the gunfighter

Attached Files:

23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I always found it a little odd that the Chili Catallo coupe was chosen for the cover when the lyrics are pretty specific that the car in the song has a flathead. It always made me wonder if a whole generation of kids grew up thinking flatheads looked like the Olds Rocket.

I recall reading once that the song was based on a poem written in about 1949. Perhaps by Roger Christian? So maybe there really was a Little Deuce Coupe back then.

-Dave

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  24. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I will throw myself under the bus here. When I was a little kid (1985) I saw a movie called "the Heavenly Kid" it was about this greaser who died in a rebel without a cause style race and gets sent upstairs. The boss decides he needs to do some good before he can go to heaven. So he sends him back down to earth to help this nerdy kid become cool. What makes a nerd cooler than a red drop top 57 with fuzzy dice?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 57 was my first "dream car"

25. realkustom51

realkustom51

This is how my brother and I experienced the 60's. Everything made an impression.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  26. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Tons of cars have made an impression since the seventh grade, the one that came to mind just now is Ivo's Showboat...

27. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

Pierson coupe (when my uncle owned it).

My dad has told me, countless times, about seeing Tommy Ivo's 4 engine car.

28. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That's one I would love to have seen run.

29. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Dick Patterson's Model A Coupe did it for me.

Attached Files: