Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What external clutch slave

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model A hooligan, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Okay so a 3/4 wilwood master should work with say a 62 Chevy slave cylinder right? I think it's 1" bore.

I have a reverse mount under dash hanging pedal for the clutch and a 90 degree for the brake. Will be a big task fitting all that in this really small dash but I think it can be done.

Ordered a 10 1/2 clutch and I will use my bellhousing just with the fork moved to the passenger side. Just need to find a 13/16 tap

2. I wish I could use a ansen pedal unit but 1: the master in the firewall would look not so good. And 2: I don't like the idea of single master for front and rear brakes. My fronts are disc (hidden behind drum backing plates)

Being this car a hotrod, I don't think ansen pedals and firewall master would look THAT bad but it's not the best looking. Though it would give me the most room inside and easier to install. Would it work with disc/drum?

My firewall is pulled back 4 inches,maybe it would help hide it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  3. ace5043

ace5043
    from Florida

4. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

ace5043 likes this.
  5. A 3/4" master is too small for the Chev slave; it would not have enough volume.

That small bore Novak slave cylinder looks like it may work with the Wilwood.

Come-on a firewall mount dual master says hot rod. Nothing wrong with a single master cylinder in a well set-up brake system; including an operational mechanical E-brake.

What calipers are you running?

6. Don't have a ebrake.struggled with that for a while. Ripped that out and have not had it for 7 years

Using Chevy metric small calipers. Like 80's Monte Carlo type.rears are small mustang fox body drums

So would a 3/4 slave be good with a 3/4 master then?

Also if I used ansen style,isn't the international harvester the master to run because the internals don't need to be swapped from side to side? I can return my pedals and go that route,just not sure what is the best route to go

7. So a 3/4 and 3/4 isn't as good as a 7/8 slave? I'm asking because I don't know and want to get parts sorted out to work.

I really don't care for firewall mounted stuff but if it gives me the most room and works good I'd do it. I guess I'm pretty Leary of the single brake master.

8. Was trying to fit this and then a seperate clutch pedal but it's gunna be really tight in there

Attached Files:

9. I've decided I'll return the pedal units I have and go with a ansen style on the firewall.

It comes to a point of function over form. I guess i can live with it on the firewall if it means my car works. Just need to figure out what master to get

Fordors likes this.
  10. low down A

low down A

wow guy your more undecided than any women.and that big ole hassle swapping that chevy internals took me about 2 whole minutes.

11. Wow cool,I take offense to that. Just talking about hotrod stuff with other fellas'. Didn't know that was grounds for being called a woman. Thanks for that....eh whatever. Not sure why you'd comment something like that.

And I never said it was a big hassle,more like asking if it's true that it needs to be done.or to use a international unit. I've been talking to rich and more or less was saying I'm taking his advice on the pedal setup.at least he has been offering advice.