Register now to get rid of these ads!

What exactly is "Off Topic" around here, anyway...

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by DirtyThirty, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Hey, I edited a publication for 10 years, so I understand that any informational forum must have a general (or narrow, for that matter) format and SOMEbody who has to make a call on what fits and what just isn't going in. It may not be democratic, nor even fair always. Just the way it is.

Myself, I've had a few threads deleted, and I didn't gripe because they were deemed beyond peripheral. I've also been permitted to post some threads I had thought might not make it, but they were allowed and proved very stimulating conversation fodder for some enthusiastic HAMBers.

I will stick with the HAMB, perfect or not. Neither Ryan or anybody else is going to please everybody all the time.

(And, yeah, I enjoyed the Pretty Girls With Tools thread until some guys got away from the theme and forgot to put tools with girls in the same shot. LOL My 2 cents.)

2. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Just what it sounded like to me...after all, I couldn't SEE the thread, now could I?:p

Anyway, if the drama was the problem, I fully understand...of course, I would think you could delete the drama, and keep the pix eh?:confused:

But, then...its not exactly a high dollar car, is it? Or from any particularly important shop...
    It's ashame so many folks can't learn to speak their mind with some grace, and good form...
    Or, maybe just keep their mouths shut in the first place...
    Now I don't want any girls draped over my cars at a show, either, in fact, I don't really even like car shows...I'd much rather go to a race, brother, let me tell you...the social aspect means jack to me, too...I like CARS, not nessecarily "car" guys, or "car" music, or whatever.

But, it was just me, and a buddy having fun...damn, I feel sorry for the folks out there who live in such negativity as to have shit to sell on some backyard pics...but, hey...I thought that this was a "GRASS ROOTS" thing;)

Well...times change, I suppose...

I guess next time I'll post some pix of Vida, for everyone, with a Mazerati...since 7 figure models, and 7 figure cars are so Traditional...Christ...the herd has lost its way so bad, its sad...

I imagine it ain't an easy job, running this show, and I "get it"...Probably better than you think, but....Damn, as for the general population on here...A LOT of folks on here certainly could use to lighten up, and keep their opinions to themselves...

Thing is Ryan, I was just having some fun...Remember that? Fun?

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So your point is that I focus on high dollar cars and high dollar women, eh? And I don't have any fun?

I drive an old car every single day. I don't own a new car. I have more passion for this stuff than I think I even realize sometimes. You know why? Because I have so much damn fun with these things. I live for it. I have more fun every day than anyone know. I'm one blessed/lucky dude.

This site is based on the little guy. Guys like Aaron Grote, Brian Bass, and many others were first exposed here... when they were the little guy. My bias is not based on money. It's based on craftsmanship.

I don't know how else to to tell you. Your post wasn't deleted because your car sucked. It was deleted because I have very little tolerance for childish horseshit. It's just easier for me to delete the thread than deal with the vanity.

Now, it sounds like you don't agree with the direction I have taken the joint. That's not a point of contention... It's just a difference of opinion. And you can do something about it by not using the forum. I mean, it's not really that big of a deal. It's just a message board.

4. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Thank you, for a reasonable assessment...It's nice to know that some people still have communication skills!:)

Anyway...I STILL want to know:
    are we simply deleting ALL threads with girls on/with cars now???
    Or just ones that turn ugly...like 80% of the threads on here anymore...

If we ARE NOT, I'll post up some of the less "controversial" ones...
    And, I'm sure some 40 year old virgin with a bag of Dorito's and an overfull ashtray in front of his monitor, and no car of his own will still probably have crap to sling...I, personally, can take all the insults anyone can hurl, In fact, I'm always curious to hear new ones!

However, I DO understand needeing to...well, "moderate"....I DO "get" damage control...

5. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Is THAT how you took that? Really?
    Not at all what I meant, Ryan...not YOUR focus, but, it DOES seem to be increasingly others focus...I assume EVERYONE can read this...I'm not just talking to, or about you...Don't take it that way.

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

You are asking us to change some thing that is not a written rule, into one that is.

I really hope that is not going to happen...

I personally think that sharply defining a set of detailed rules would make the HAMB loose a dimension.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here's an idea... Why don't you just post a little feature on the Ranchero sans the chick?

Focus on the car.

8. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

this is propper hamb atire buddy ! my opinion mang !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  9. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

holy shit. whoever doesn't like the way the HAMB is run, leave.

its that simple.

10. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

"I'm one blessed/lucky dude.
    I live for it. I have more fun every day than anyone know."

You are! Which is why the first above comment came off as fairly ungrateful , which, in turn, prompted my reminder about fun...

As far as The "high dollar/famous" shop comment...well, that was more directed at those 40 year old virgins...crap...now I've offended virgins...

Anyway, I agree that we disagree...And, I STILL agree that this is a wealth of knowledge, and a great archives, even if it is also full of.....

THAT'S why I post...
    You take the good with the bad, right?

11. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Will do...
    THAT'S what I was after.
    I just wanted a little better explaination other than "Off Topic"...
    I kinda didn't get that one.

12. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Ahhhh Jesus...never mind
    Man...I'm the LAST guy who wants rules...

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

why not start a social group for cars like yours? it's like having a club within the hamb. off topic stuff is ok there because it's off the main board and you moderate it yourself. that would get the guys with the same type of projects together in one place. I try not to post anything of my car because it's WAY off topic,even though it;s getting up there in age, I do sometimes post a technical idea or comment because there are some things that are the same no matter what you drive. I make all my own stuff etc. so occasionally i post something I feel could be useful to someone else. custom upholstery,wiring,machine work,custom homemade parts, paint and body work, it transcends all makes and models if you do it yourself.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You suck at communication. No one understands you.

I think you should grow a beard, wear one of those stupid biltwell helmets, and ride motorcycles. As a bonus, bikers love chicks all over their shit... And they hate virgins.

Joke man... Joke. :)

15. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Huh???

My car is a '58 Ranchero...:confused:
    It's QUITE on topic, I assure you...
    But, I get what happened, anyway, and its all good...I will not bait the hook for drama queens any further....well, unless they just feel like ripping on my car, or whatever, but, hey...mine drives...;)

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I know that and of course it's welcome on the board but i was just suggesting you set one up too on the hamb.

17. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

:D

How do you know I don't already have one?
    And what's a "Biltwell helmet"? Is that like a Roman helmet?:eek:

18. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Oh, o.k....gotcha....Its very hard to know who knows what about who, and what who is knowing, and...., ya know????:confused::rolleyes: Christ....I'm getting off this damn computer.

No single box of this size has ever before caused so much miscommunication...

19. Mark, start a build thread on the car. Remember, not everyone knows how far the Ranchero has come since you sold the coupe....Just getting it here was months of bullshit...

I love Italian cars, English motorcycles, have a beard and maybe one of the stupid helmets...I'll admit it, I even gave a Skyline a second look the other day...but, I still drive my truck everyday.

The BOTTOM LINE is, there is more knowledge about more weird shit compiled in these pages than anywhere else in the world....:D

20. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Unless, of course, your kidding...
    This is another asinine comment, un-related to the actual content/question...

I can't have a question, or debate with Ryan, the general population, or another mod???

21. flatblackstude

flatblackstude
    from carver, ma

REALLY?! This is that big of a deal? I have see tons of posts on here with good lookin women posing without cars, and pics of midget wrestlers. That has to do with traditional hot rods? No one said anything about those, hell I enjoyed them but then again I'm just in this for a good time and to share some experiences. I guess a few people have forgotten............

My 2 cents

22. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I think that comment was perfectly valid...many people spoke up and told you that Ryan determines what is OT....thats it end of story. Its his site to do as he pleases with, we are all guests here...if he doesnt like something or doesnt want to deal with the shit something might cause its his option to delete it as he sees fit. I dont understand how that is so hard to grasp. This place is not a democracy, deal with it. He deleted your thread, its not the end of the world, take your lumps and move on.

23. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I did, and I CAN take 'em... AND it's also my right, as a free man to ask "what was off topic"...hell, he didn't even have to give me an answer, and he did, so that I appreciate, sure...it's HIS gig, but, I'm an adult, and cyberspace is everyones domain...If you can't ask a question around here, or have a difference of opinion, thats absurd.

Too many folks, just run around parroting whatever "good pupil" B.S. they think Ryan wants to hear, or just adding to the drama, with no real reason other than being internet tough guys...THAT'S what wastes space...Ryan is just a man, just like the rest of us ( well...maybe some of us, anyway...) and If I wanna ask a question, I'll damn well ask it.

If the answer isn't what I like, I'll deal with it, from the boss, but, when someone just comes on here all Billy-bad-ass with one kiss-ass, "yeah, what he said" comment, frankly, it only adds fuel to the fire, which we never had to have in the first place, if no one wanted it...

24. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Let it go... your not helping yourself.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.