Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. I've been meaning to reply @gtokid70. Dig the Ranchero--looks like a fun ride. Neat to own something with some custom history, huh? Good luck with it! E

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here is the only a pic I have,from the rear. Looks like he was at Scan0738.jpg one of the Holland Michigan KKOA shows. You can tell by the very dry grass.

3. Impressive @Moriarity
    See? I told you it was easy. ;)

4. John B

John B

After a couple years Ed has us trained well. I was sitting in a board meeting at the Community Center checking my phone every couple minutes to see how long it would take for for a HAMBer to start posting clues.

Sent from my LGL158VL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Cool pic Jim (@stanlow69)! Would this pic have been from
    Holland in '90? I don't have a video for that year, but I have the '92 video but didn't see the car. Maybe I'll watch it again.
    Notice there are no flames in the area between the side trim and the rockers. E

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I don`t know, I was at both of them. Also, it is not overly chopped or slammed on the ground. I think about 20 percent of the Merc`s back then had Buick side chrome. Maybe more.

7. 'Mo

'Mo

Did you say "...bored meeting"? :D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  8. Interesting chop too. I don't know if it's the angle of the photo (maybe optical illusion?) but in both the posted photos the door window appears taller at the rear than at the front.

9. I noticed that too @Sancho. It really stands out in Jim's (@stanlow69) picture. For a minute I thought that maybe it had a "slant chop". That's the chop you see on a lot of VW Bugs. I know you've seen them. Its when someone only chops the front to avoid the tough job of chopping the back of the VW and getting it to flow and look right. From the front it looks cool but then when you see it from the side it looks like a toy car that got stepped on. The front got smashed but the back still looks like its supposed to.
    Angelo's Merc isn't slant chopped. I've been studying the picture trying to figure out what happened. It looks like maybe the back wasn't chopped enough to compensate for the amount the front was chopped and it left a "bubble" in the center of the roof. This caused the "stretched" look with the door frames. Maybe not--I'm just thinking out loud here. I'm by no means knocking anyone's work though as a chopped top is a huge job that I've never done. I wouldn't know where to begin.
    That being said, I'd still roll Mr. Pupillo's Merc with pride! E

10. Wow, two weeks in a row with almost instant, "here it is." Can't stump a group of HAMB'ers too easy I guess. Haha!

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Are the lake pipes bent in the center?

12. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

Was way behind , haven't been on. Caught up now. I have to say as soon as I saw weldon' s name, i saw John's reply coming. Great people , all 3 of them

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it Jim. Sharp eye! After studying the picture, it looks like the capped end of the lake does bend downward a little. If you look close, it looks like the pipe got pinched some in the middle. I highlighted the spot that looks "flattened".

Scan0738.jpg

Does the frame of a Merc hang down lower than where the lake would be mounted? I guess not if the car was channeled, but there's no way of knowing. Maybe Angelo had a run in with a tall speed bump or someone jacked the car up wrong and that bent the pipe. It would be interesting to find out how it happened. E

14. What Ever Happened To..........? number 136.

1959 Ford Galaxie Convertible
    Owner: Will Sank
    Glen Burnie, Maryland

This week's custom is one that was very well travelled within the KKOA. I saw this great Galaxie on many of my videos. I think it was on more videos than any other car we've covered so far!
    The changes this car went through from the first video to the last were minimal. The car appeared on the scene and was stunning right out of the gate. About the only real change I found was that in the later videos the car had awesome Lee lenses that were painted white with a star design showing through the red lens.
    The first few sightings I found of this car were from pictures. The first was in a background shot of another car at Sled Scene East in 1988. The first full picture was when there was a shot of it in Holland, Michigan at the 1990 KKOA Leadsled Spectacular show coverage. It was in the December 1990 Rod & Custom on page 47. It was a nice picture, but unfortunately in black and white.
    I also spotted it on the 1991 Leadsled video shot in Hamilton, Ohio. That was all the Leadsled Spectacular videos I found it on, but Will was a regular at Sled Scene East making the trek to Gettysburg in 1991, 1992 and 1993! His car was captured on the video all three years! 1991 was an especially busy time for him as he made the trip to both the Spectacular and Sled Scene East that year. That is a lot of driving! After 1993 I didn't find any more video of the car.
    I didn't have a whole lot of luck finding the car in magazines other than the black and white photo in the December '90 R&C, but I did manage to find some great pictures on the internet. The pictures I found were from Rikster's site taken by Scott Pavey. I can't say which show they were taken at or when. They may have been before 1990 as I'm not certain that Scott went to the Spectacular much after the mid to late 80s.

Will Sank 59 Galaxie Rag a SPC.jpg

Will Sank 59 Galaxie Rag b SPC.jpg

A '59 Ford convertible custom is a rare find, and I hope that this fine jewel is still cruising around on warm days with the top down turning heads. I know I would be! E

What Ever Happened To..........? number 137.

1956 Ford Thunderbird
    Owner: Harold Fawthrop
    Glen Burnie, Maryland

By now everyone is wondering why I'm featuring two sleds this week. Well, there are three reasons. The first being is that I have to go to safety meetings for work in the late afternoons and early evenings next week and I wasn't certain if I'd have enough time to make my usual Tuesday night post. The second reason is that we haven't had a "two-fer" Tuesday in a while, and the third is that Mr. Fawthrop and Mr. Sank were running buddies to the KKOA shows. It was rare to see one without the other, so I decided that featuring them together would be the best way to feature them.
    Harold Fawthrop made many trips to the KKOA shows just like Will. My first sighting of this car was in photographs from Rikster's site that were taken by Hot Rod Willie at Sled Scene East back in 1988. You can see by the pictures that the car was very mild as far as body mods go. You'll notice the door handles were never shaved, but really, how many true custom tri-five T-Birds have we seen since the days of the little books? The hood was louvered, the engine was detailed to the nines, and the triangular back window in the convertible top is soooo trick!
    By the way, in pictures Will's '59 Galaxie always seemed to have the top down, but in the videos there are a few shots of the car with the top up. As one would guess, it had the same cool triangular back window in the 'vert top too!

H. Fawthrop 56 T-Bird a HRW 88 SSE.jpg

H. Fawthrop 56 T-Bird b HRW 88 SSE.jpg

You'll notice Will's '59 in background of the first picture--like I said, these two guys were road warrior buddies! It also helped that they lived in the same town in Maryland!
    The next sighting was the black and white picture in the December 1990 Rod & Custom (p.47) I mentioned above. The '59 and the '56 were captured sitting pretty side by side taking in the show. I might be mistaken, but on the opposite side of Fawthrop's T-Bird it looks like Wayne LaPuglia's '57 Ford four door (W.E.H.T. #12) known as "Wanderer" snuck into the shot. I think this was before it was covered with the wild flames it had later.

Will Sank 59 Gal g H. Fawthrop 56 T-Bird Rnc Dec 90 p47.jpg

Wanderer a SPC Wayne LaPuglia.jpg

The T-Bird was also captured on the 1991 Leadsled Spectacular video (Hamilton, Ohio) cruising around with Will's '59.
    Just like Will, Mr. Fawthrop was also at Sled Scene East in '91', '92 and '93. The T-Bird was seen on the same videos. The only real difference is that Harold made the trip to Sled Scene East in 1994--this time solo as Mr. Sank and his Galaxie were nowhere to be found. In 1994 there were a few changes to the 'Bird. Pearl blue flames were added to the nose, and "H's Thunderbird" was air brushed on the Connie kit. After '94, I didn't see the car on any of my later videos.
    I did find a few more pictures courtesy of Rikster, again taken by Scott Pavey. I'm unsure of the show and year. I do know that it was before 1994 as there are no flames on the nose or air brushing on the Connie. Note the cool little white plexi diamonds on the Lee lenses, and the super clean and detailed engine. Pure art!

H. Fawthrop 56 T-Bird c SPC.jpg

H. Fawthrop 56 T-Bird d SPC.jpg

After '94 its hard to say what happened to Will and Harold. They both just seemed to fade out of the "Scene". You could tell they were the best of friends as most of the pictures of their cars had one or the other in the background! Let's hope these great friends are still at it having a great time!

Will Sank 59 Galaxie Rag c SPC.jpg

Well, that does it for this week. Since I'll be in meetings (or "bored meetings" as @'Mo calls them lol) I won't be doing a feature next Tuesday. Sorry everybody. I hope that a double dip this week makes up for no feature next week. I'll be sure to have another forgotten sled on Tuesday, October 23. Until then my friends, take care! E

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

beautiful cars.. I remember both of them but have no info or pics.....

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here are both cars in the same location. I don`t think the other car is Wayne`s. You have good taste in cars, ED. And I have never told him what car to feature. He does it on his own. Both cars have the same hubcaps. Scan0742.jpg

17. I am pretty sure H is Harold.

18. I believe they both are (were?) members of the Lost in the 50's Custom Car Club of Maryland. Went through the club website and came up empty. Found this one on their facebook page from Sept. 18 2016.
    Screenshot_20181009-224325_Samsung Internet.jpg
    https://m.facebook.com/lostn50s/

19. I think you're probably right, Jim. In the picture you posted you can see the '57 next to Harold's T-Bird has different side trim. Or........the trim was changed prior to the paint work. I'd be curious to find out for sure! E

Sounds good to me Bill. I'll update the post. Nice to finally have a first name associated with this fine little 'Bird!
    By the way, if you look close in the picture that @Sancho posted from the Lost in the 50s Custom Car Club's Facebook page, you can see the car has the pearl flames on the nose. They are very subtle in photographs, but on the videos when the sun hit them they lit up like a neon sign! E

20. Pretty sure the lake pipes on my Merc are lower than the frame, and mine isn't channeled. I don't hit the pipes too much on the Merc but I hit the pipes on the Chevy all the time. Funny thing is I'm pretty sure they weren't marked up when I got it, but they are pretty flat now. I don't know how Myron got 100k miles on it without hitting them and I have them flat nearly the whole length with having put about 10k miles on it. Maybe there were new pipes on it when I got it or the roads and parking lot entrances are flatter in Detroit Lakes, MN than Conway, AR. LOL

21. @OG lil E The upper spear on the '57 Ford is a "separate" piece (meaning the two strips of trim don't really connect, just butt up). They could have taken the upper trim off.

22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You can see the progression of Wayne`s Ford from brown to white with flames. I don`t think it is the same car. Scan0003.jpg

23. I don't either. The biggest clue is the stainless door window frames that make Wayne's look like a hardtop. A trick I am using myself on my own car.
    The other 4 door doesn't have them.

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

By the way, those of you with a sharp eye, the T-Bird next to the Merc is a different car. Or is it. It`s gonna be a long 2 weeks. Scan0743.jpg

25. Definitely different car. That T-bird is a '57. The fins are different.

And yes, it will be a LONG 2 weeks. Half of a month.....

26. I'm sure not gonna disagree with two custom guys with some of the sharpest eyes around (lol)! The changes needed to make the car in the photo in fact be Wayne's would be a lot of work for little effect. You have to admit though, there weren't a whole lot of four door '57 Fords built as customs even in the carefree days of the 80s.
    On a side note, according to the first KKOA book, Wayne had a pair of '57 Ford customs--one four door (KKOA #1 p.62) and one two door hardtop (KKOA #1 p.72). I think there was a mix-up though as the pictures in the book seem to be swapped with the captions. It seems the two door picture is on the four door caption and the four door is on the two door caption.
    I never scanned and posted these before as way back when I featured Wayne's four door (W.E.H.T. #12), I hadn't received my two KKOA books yet. Sorry about the scan "runs" from the center of the book--scanning thick books is tricky if not impossible.
    In all the video watching I've done I can't say that I've ever seen the two door, but I've seen the four door plenty. I know I've said it a hundred times, I'm a weirdo. I love four door sleds and Wayne's white four door will always be one of my favorites. E

Wanderer Wayne LaPuglia e KKOA1 p.62.jpg

Wanderer Wayne LaPuglia f KKOA1 p.72.jpg

27. Almost forgot, thanks for the two week comments guys. It makes me feel good to know that everyone looks forward to the posts. It helps me realize that all the research work is worthwhile!
    And two weeks isn't that long, unless you're a kid waiting for Christmas (lol)! E

28. Sorry I believe the brown (?) 57 and the white/flamed 57 are both Wayne's.
    The headlight treatment, front license plate, spotlight placement, rear antennas and the decals in the windshield all look the same.
    The window treatment could have come later.

Mick

loudbang likes this.
  29. @lurker mick They are indeed the same car. The white one we are talking about is the one in this photo:
    upload_2018-10-10_14-12-39.png
    Also can be seen in this one:
    upload_2018-10-10_14-13-40.png