Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Great stories guys! I knew you would know something about this car, Jim (@stanlow69).
    Glad to find out that Mr. Spear still had the car as of 2012 or so. I would love to see this car at a show and look it over. From the pics you can tell its a quality sled. E

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here is a picture of Larry when he attended the Lincoln Land Kustoms show in Illinois in 84 or 85 as it appeared in the KKOA Leadsledder. Over 200 cars attended that show. Scan0676.jpg

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here is a pic my dad took, possibly at the Kansas City KKOA show in 83 or 84. Not for sure thou. Larry`s car is more than likely on his list of 10 best customs of all time. More pic` to come later. Scan0685.jpg

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here`s a side profile pic I took in about 1990 at the Des Moines KKOA Last Pass show. That`s him on the right. It is rare to see a custom live threw the 80`s and not get pinstripes. Scan0686.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  5. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry I have been reading the thread since it started and amazed the information that you guys dig up. I'm not sure how to start one or if it had already been started but I know how to post pics. I saw this Merc Ranchero at the Merc Deuce Reunion is Wichita. I guess its time to ask the question is "where is it today"?

kkoa010.jpg

6. @Mudslinger is this the one that belonged to a friend of yours?
    Can you or him add anything?

7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought this needed to be finished has a kool profile.

8. sideswipe

sideswipe

mercury truck.jpg First off, Mudslinger is an idiot. HAHA. That merc was built in Oklahoma city. My Dad bought it after seeing it at a leadsled and took it to Ohio then Virginia. We removed the buick nailhead, (engine knock) and installed a 351 Cleveland. We just pulled it out and took this pic, 25 plus years ago. The car was finished and I seen it in the back of Rod & Custom magazine several years ago. It wound up being painted a raspberry color I think. The back window is a 53 ford pickup and it had a LaSalle dash. I want to say it went back to Ohio.

OG lil E, 54delray, drdave and 6 others like this.
  9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@sideswipe thanks for the info. Wow, it was built in Oklahoma. Cant believe I had seen finished pictures of the Merc. Too kool not to show it off.... If I had it I would sure do a lot more yard work. Well, it would look like I was working. No I would look kooler rolling into the hardware store. Yah that's it.....

chryslerfan55, OG lil E and drdave like this.
  10. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

It was in Pennsylvania when it was finished. I think it had an article in Hot Rod magazine.

11. Never seen that one, I love it, that would be awesome to cruise the beach in.

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Had to run to the store and get the pic`s off the memory card. These pic`s are from 2012 taken at a show in Ft Dodge after the car had been out of public view in 19 or so years. I love the pic of the guy giving Larry the thumbs up sign. Scan0692.jpg Darlene is in red sitting in the chair. Larry is sitting next to her. Larry made all the aluminum pieces under the hood. Scan0693.jpg He talked all about the car as I listened and asked questions. He opened up the hood and trunk so I could take pictures. He said after it was painted the first time in the early 80`s. He took the car for a drive in 20 degree weather before he had a convertible top. He just couldn`t wait to take it for a spin. Scan0694.jpg Scan0695.jpg

Hombre, John B, drdave and 5 others like this.
  13. Great information and super pics, Jim (@stanlow69)! Thanks for posting! E

14. That was the first time I saw that car, loved it then and still do.

15. The stainless work looks great.

chryslerfan55 and OG lil E like this.
  16. What Ever Happened To..........? number 125.

1952 Chevy
    Owner: Lee Pratt
    Des Moines, Iowa

Anybody that has been into customs for any amount of time usually knows who Lee Pratt is. He has been in the custom game for many years, and it never ceases to amaze me what beautiful sleds he creates.
    Now, he is a pretty famous customizer these days, and normally the W.E.H.T. thread is for the little guys, but when this car was built, Lee was still making a name for himself. Besides, this car was at the Leadsled Spectacular many years before it left Lee's caring hands. I also thought it was important to include this car and give kudos to Mr. Pratt as he was a regular at the Leadsled Spectacular from the beginning and for many years after.
    Lee attended the first Spectacular in Wichita, Kansas in 1981. He took his '41 Buick, and someone snapped this amazing photo that @lurker mick posted here on the HAMB. The legendary sleds in this picture are truly amazing!

692740-wichita81 lurker mick.jpg

In 1982, the Spectacular made the trip to Lee's hometown of Des Moines, Iowa. It was at the show that year that Lee not only had the '41 there, but his under construction '52 Chevy. You could see upcoming greatness for this car, especially if Lee built it in the same mind set as his Buick. In the next picture, you can see the '41 just sneaking into the shot with the Chevy.

Lee Pratt 52 Chevy a LSS 82 PhilWatersC.jpg

I'm sure the colored primer and the perfect modifications, stance, grille choice and so on had to cause a commotion. The car was just as clean as a whistle, staying true to 50s style customizing.
    In 1983, the Spectacular was in Springfield, Ohio. From what I've read, Lee had been working on a chopped 1965 Buick LeSabre and he decided to take it to the show that year, so the Chevy stayed home.

Lee Pratt 65 LeSabre.jpg

In 1984, the Spectacular went back to Des Moines, and Lee took the '52 Chevy that year, complete with its beautiful dark purple and gold paint job. It was a perfect compliment to the gorgeous white tuck'n'roll interior. The car had arrived and had truly become a real stunner.
    To top off the car being completed and wowing the custom folks in Des Moines, Lee was voted into the Kustom Kemps of America Hall of Fame that year. I'm sure that is a time that Mr. Pratt will never forget!

Lee Pratt 52 Chevy c LSS84.jpg

Lee Pratt 52 Chevy d LSS84 SPC.jpg

Lee Pratt 52 Chevy e.jpg

In 1985, the Spectacular went back to Springfield, Ohio for the second time. On the video there is a great shot of the car coming into the fairgrounds with Lee behind the wheel. From what I've read, not too long after that, the Chevy was sold and has been scarce ever since.
    Researching this car wasn't too hard. There are tons of pictures of it online--mostly here on the HAMB. A lot of the photos I'm not certain who took them, so thanks to whoever posted them. There are also a few from Rikster's site from the Scott Pavey collection.
    Video searching went smooth as well, as I saw the car on the '83, '84 and '85 video. Magazine research was minimal as I found so many online pictures I didn't have to really dig in. I think that Lee's Chevy was featured in Classic and Custom magazine, but if it was, I don't have the issue. I wish I did as I recall some great interior shots. I hope someone has some pictures of the interior to share. It was incredible!
    For additional information on this sweet Chevy, you should take a look at the great write up that @Ryan did on "The Jalopy Journal". I'm including a link to check it out. I figured for this week's post I'd give a quick history on the progress of the car year to year in the early 80s during its run to the KKOA shows. I'll let you guys read Ryan's great write up on the car's modifications and build up.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=29008

As far as the car's whereabouts today, I'm not real certain where its at. According to Ryan's Jalopy Journal write up and the thread on the HAMB about that write up, the '52 ended up on the west coast and the top was cut off and the car has slid into bad disrepair. Does anyone have recent pictures of the car today? I'd like to see some.
    Hopefully, if it is still around, it is saveable as this car should be rescued and put back into the dark purple and gold version Lee built.
    In any case, if you're reading this Lee, thank you for all you've done for the custom car movement, and keep putting out sweet customs for all of us to enjoy!
    Well gang, that's all for this week. Gotta get hopping as I'm leaving for the Leadsled Spectacular tomorrow and I still have a ton of things to do to get ready. If any of you kustom faithful are going to be there, look for the Metalflake Misfits banner and a pair of different customs that are too new for the HAMB. Stop in and say hi, have a cold drink and we can talk customs. I'd love to put more names and faces together. Until next week, take care and keep cruisin'! E

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Oh man... what a wonderful car. I have often wondered what happened to it. Hopefully it is not ruined. Here is a couple of shots I took at one of the Holland Kkoa shows[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[​IMG]

18. alchemy

alchemy

Being a Central Iowan I remember Lee Pratt's cars well. It's always sad to see what subsequent owners change on them. The "improvements" never seem to truly be improvements.

drdave, OG lil E, stanlow69 and 4 others like this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The add as it appeared in The Leadsledder when he listed all his cars for sale in 86. Scan0696.jpg Living in the corner of the state. The only times I saw Lee`s cars were at the KKOA shows. Didn`t get to central Iowa much back then.

20. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

Just went through all of Rob's Classic and Custom. Didn't see any pics of Pratts chevy.
    But man what a trip down Memory Lane

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I wasn`t gonna post a pic, but I found one of the pictures I have is of Scan0698.jpg a different angle. Taken at a KKOA event called Last Pass in Des Moines.

22. 1940merc

1940merc
    from colorado

What ever happened to the kustoms at the kkoa lead slead ? There where more Gasser's,rat Rod's and street Rod's than kustoms ! You travel all across the states to see kustoms .its i becoming a disappointing . I hear that the stratycat 500 is only kustoms maybe we should start going there I believe that Jerry has lost his vision and just seeing money

23. There were a lot of "other" cars but there were a good number of kustoms.
    As @straykatkustoms will tell you, the SK500 is NOT all kustoms, but it is a good show.

We need more people to show up with kustoms and crowd the other cars out. Be nice to see the Spectacular return to what it once was.....

drdave, stanlow69, 54delray and 4 others like this.
  24. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems like every year at the Spectacular it keeps getting better. I had a blast this year talking and hanging out with my Kustom family. Yes its not like the 80's but the kustoms that were there blew me away. I heard some one say it felt like 40% of the kustoms hadn't been there before. That's too kool!

Not going isn't the fix. What I'd like to do is reserve a place to park (nice grass shady area) where its noting but Kustoms. That would be kool if they were all parked in one spot and would be a kool photo op..... Like to see you at the Stray Kat 500 but its not all just for kustoms. That would be kool but I'm blessed to have a lot of Hot Rod friends that I like to see there.

drdave, stanlow69, 62hotcat and 5 others like this.
  25. What Ever Happened To..........? number 126.

1951 Mercury
    Owners: DeWitt and Caroline Powell
    Hagerstown, Maryland

This week's custom is one that should be pretty easy to identify if its still out there. It has a unique chop that converted the car to a three window. Not too many of these have been done. To top it off the car was painted a kandy orange or red. Hard to tell on my ancient TV, but to me the car looked like the rarely used Kandy Persimmon. Whatever the color the car looked awesome!
    DeWitt and Caroline lived on the east coast, so it seems like they pretty much stayed away from KKOA events in the mid west. In my research I was only able to find their car on the video for the 1986 Leadsled Spectacular in Springfield, Missouri. I also found the Merc on the 1986 Sled Scene East video in Abbottstown, Pennsylvania. I found no other video on the car.
    As far as printed material goes, I couldn't find any pictures or coverage of it in any magazines. It was however featured in the first KKOA book from 1993 on page 72. There was a good write up on the car and it states there that the Powell's were regulars at Sled Scene East.

Caroline and DeWitt Powell 51 Merc 1st KKOA book p72.jpg

As far as pictures go, I've had no luck finding anything on this one. It has turned out to be another of those brain buster sleds that has just driven me crazy. I'm sure there has to be pics out there somewhere.
    That's about all I found on this one. The unique chop and the fact that it was an east coast car should help finding more clues on the car. You east coast custom faithful should be a big help on this one. Let's see what comes up!
    I'd like to take a minute to thank the custom guys that stopped by our "camp" at the Spectacular this year to visit. We had a super time and the weekend went way too fast. I hope we can have another "reunion" and all get together very soon. It was great! Custom folks are the best!
    Keep on cruisin' those great customs! See you next week! E

Ron, richards69impala, drdave and 6 others like this.
  26. Haven't found anything on the Mercury yet, but this is an intersting read from 2005:

"Powell and his wife, Caroline, have a heavy schedule of touring car shows and “Cruise-ins” with their unique “witnessing vehicle,” a polyglot car named “Born Again II.”

“Born Again II,” is so named because it is comprised of parts from more than seven different vehicles. The motor is from a 74 Chevy Malibu, and it has a 74 Chevy Nova subframe, a grille from a 54 Pontiac, half-a-hood from a 57 Chevy, two tops from 67 Fords, Chrysler fins, taillights from a 56 Chevy, a trunk from a 75 Lincoln Continental, and additional parts from Buicks and more.

Powell says cars have been his hobby for years, and he’s been building and re-building them for more than 20 years. It took about four years to complete “Born Again II.” Intricate and artistic paintings display Scripture verses and a representation of “The Passion of the Christ” on the trunk."

"Powell is currently working on restoring a 1958 Studebaker."

https://graceconnect.us/born-again-ii-is-shiny-metal-witness/

27. Great work @Sancho!
    Wow, I've seen that Merc on many of my videos! Funny how so many custom owners have more than one sled.
    The whole religious theme on the car sounds like something you would see on a lowrider. Many years ago here in Denver there was a '60 Chevy Impala four door hardtop lowrider. It was all decked out with the coffin style interior, hydros, rear suicide doors, etc. It had a mural of "The Last Supper" on the trunk. It always had crowds of people around it at car shows as the art work was impeccable. People at the show looking at the cars also took it very seriously as many quoted the "Lord's Prayer" and prayed "The Rosary" behind the car. It was a real religious experience for them. It was very interesting to see. E

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  28. Long shot, any chance that it's the same car?
    The article mentions "building and rebuilding" them....