Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. 54delray

54delray
    from Fremont NE

Ed, easy to miss, but the car did appear in the '84 video from Rowdie. Very briefly as they cruised the fairgrounds shooting from the back a 40 Ford convertible, if I remember correctly. Also noticed that the continental tire cover has at least 3 different versions. Pinstriped only in your feature post, two words in my post above, and a 'mural' or scene from the Autabuy site below.

Edit ... I zoomed in on my picture from '84, The connie kit cover reads "Perennial Teenager". The licence plate reminds me of others I've seen from Minnesota, but I'm not sure on that.

The pic below looks like a 'sock hop scene', leather jacket guy dancing with a poodle skirt girl, musical notes around the edges ...

DrivinDreamsRear55Vic.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The video was shot from a 41 Chevy convertible

Hamtown Al, drdave, OG lil E and 2 others like this.
  3. 54delray

54delray
    from Fremont NE

Thanks Mark. Rare car, for sure. I should unpack the VCR stored somewhere in the basement and watch that tape.

OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Makes me mad that I can’t remember the guys name with the 41 Chevy. He comes to ccr and is from Texas and has a 46 ish Chevy 2 dr mild custom....

5. 54delray

54delray
    from Fremont NE

paging @stanlow69, paging stanlow69 .... need a name and history on a '41 Chevy owner, stat!

drdave, OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

The first pic was taken in Michigan`s KKOA show. The first was from 84 In Des Moines. The same year as 54delray (Bill`s). Not an Iowa plate. Minnesota ? IMG_20210914_0001.jpg Scan0092.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

His car was featured in WEHT thread. Watch the 84 Video. Had to look thru the Leadsledder for the coverage of the Reno KKOA show in 84. But his pic was in the Custom Cars volume 2 coverage of the Reno Nevada show. Skitch Kinney from Torrance California back then. . The car was red. IMG_20210914_0004.jpg

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

Scan0611.jpg Mark, do you remember when it was for sale in Des Moines Last Pass show(86 ?). There was a Whizzer Bike in the back seat. No lakepipes and had an old interior in it. The asking price was really cheap. Saw it a year or 2 later and had lakepipes and a new interior. Looked like a major transformation was made to the car. Dad mentioned it was a good deal back in Des Moines. The Buick ahead of the car is from Minnesota.

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

So is it safe to say John Willis was from Minnesota and Richard Tingley was from Iowa.

drdave, OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  10. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks for coming up with Skitch's name.. that was bugging me. Yeah the Buick was (still is) from Minnesota, it must not have sold back then because it is still in the same family (of course I can't remember his name either grrrrrr)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  12. Man, you guys really dug in on this one! Way to go! I guess it's safe to say that everyone really likes the Willis/Tingley '55 Ford (lol).

Great information Bill (@54delray). Glad to see the '55 is still around, and to see many new shots of the car. It had quite a few mini makeovers over the years that I wasn't aware of. E

Thanks for remembering Skitch Kenny's name Jim (@stanlow69 ). I was slow on the switch. Here's the link to Skitch's '41 Chevy ragtop, that was W.E.H.T. #246 featured back in December 2020.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-ever-happened-to.1016572/page-148#post-13850762

Such a beautiful car! E

Mark (@Moriarity), the Buick owner was Ron Nelson.

We featured his pair of Buicks here at W.E.H.T. central. Ron's '56 Buick, "The Onyx" was #101 and featured in February 2018.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-ever-happened-to.1016572/page-75#post-12428315

And Mr. Nelson's ultra cool '55 Buick four door hardtop was #202 featured in June 2020.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-ever-happened-to.1016572/page-139#post-13620097

Hope the links help everyone to see what all is being talked about. Keep at it guys, lots of great insight to this cool Ford is being posted. So much fun! E

13. Late to the party again and the mystery is already solved.....not that I had any information at all. LOL Pretty car for sure...love the grille, of course and that interior!

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

I was talking about the Ford behind the Buick.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ok, sorry I misunderstood.....

OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  16. This was my grandfather Paul frustereo’s car. He has sadly passed back in 2011 which I saw you found the obit. He was working on one of his cars and it rolled back and fell on him. I’m planning on getting this car shown above as a tattoo. Seeing as it was his favorite one. This man even after being gone 10 years is still being talked about. He’s a legend❤️ And I’m proud to say I am his granddaughter, he’s definitely riding around in his cars up in heaven

17. Sorry for your loss Juliann, your grandpa sounds like a great guy. Wish I had gotten to meet him.

18. Thanks for checking in Juliann! Always nice to hear from the family and friends of all these great custom enthusiasts and builders. So sorry to hear the tragic details of how you lost your Grandfather. All too often in this thread we learn about the passing of so many of the fine folks that built and cruised these cars, and I've mentioned many times that this is the part of doing this thread that can be depressing. But, we have great memories of the cars and the legends that cruised them, your Grandpa being one of them. You have every reason to be proud of him. He built some fine cars. I'm sure you miss him greatly, as well as many others.
    Rest in peace Mr. Frustereo..........E

19. Man @Sancho, that sure looks like it. Of course there are a few obvious changes like the Buick side trim is gone. The taillights look slightly different and the rear bumper and overrider bar is different. Also, Neil's car (Statutory Grape) had '53 Buick headlights and a DeSoto grille.

Neil Borella 51 Merc b.jpg

I don't know man, it could be, but I can't say for sure. Just curious, what's the asking price? E

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021 at 8:05 PM
  20. Never mind, just saw the link and checked it out. They want more cabbage than I could ever gather (lol), but the price doesn't seem too far out of hand. E

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

The brown one was in Indy`s CCR a few years ago. The owner loved talking about his car. IMG_20210916_0001.jpg

John B, drdave, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  22. After looking more I think they're different cars. Check out the drip rail.

Lot of similarities though!

23. Also the Grape had rounded rear hood corners.

24. stanlow69

stanlow69
    from red oak

A side view. From the Kim and Nancy Photo Collection. A few years ago Kim and Nancy had a 54 Chevy grille with as many teeth as this one for sale at the Greenfield Iowa swap meet for sale. It would be interesting where it came from. IMG_20210916_0002.jpg

25. When I looked up his name and found this car, and saw about how it was posted in this thread in 2018, I was like “oh my gosh they are still talking about him how cool !!!” Made me cry reading all the comments:)

Peanut 1959, 54delray, Sancho and 5 others like this.