Register now to get rid of these ads!

What ever happened to a mans' word?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tnrotter, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Im in my upper 40's and was taught that your word is your bond. You do what you say you will do. I went and looked at an '80's Ford truck with a 5.0L EFI and O/D. Truck is wrecked and isn't worth fixing but is supposed to have a good engine. The seller turned it over but no fire, I think I know what's wrong but I wasn't offering to push the button. He offered up a price, I countered, he countered, then we went with my offer plus he agreed to deliver it to my house 5 miles away after he went an picked up the title. After an hour and a half I decided to call him. He told me that after he picked up the title someone had offered him $100 more than my offer and didn't know what to do and that he would call me in the morning after he thought about it. Well if he was going to break his 'contract' with me, why wait, he should have just sold it. I gave up no money as he never showed me the title. Maybe it's worth the extra $100, but the principle of the thing is what bothers me and then he goes and plays that 'country psychology' bs on me. tnrotter

2. Maybe the other guy pushed the button for him and it made an impression :rolleyes:

3. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

When I wheel and deal I always tell everyone up front that who ever comes up with the cash first gets the car. I would never sell something out from under someone if they gave me money to hold it or if they were on route to look at the vehicle. Other than someone on-route if I don't have the cash it ain't yours.

4. brad chevy

brad chevy

what did you need a title for anyway ,a good practice to follow these days and time when you want something be prepared to pay,loadup and take it home with you.The old saying a man is as good as his word is long gone,but there are still alot of honest people still out there.

5. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

My word is bond- period.

6. sobpunx

sobpunx

yeah that sucks had a guy do that to me with a mopar 360 engine i needed and wouldent return my calls or nothing, found out from a friend he sold it out from under me for $25 more

7. firingorder1

firingorder1

I was raised to believe that your word is everything. Without it you are nothing period. If he agreed to sell and then turns around a breaks his word he is nothing more than a piece of dog shit. Its a sad reflection of todays world that to a lot of people morals, principals, honesty and anything else that made America great is just so much hogwash.

8. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

I'm 38 and you can believe me when I tell you I'm going to do something. I have 2 true friends in this world and it's because they are stand up people. I have no time for bullshitters.

9. BEAR

BEAR

/maybe is just not right about it and you dont need it .. you know?

10. was thinking the same thing.

11. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

I believe a Man`s word is his bond.
    But when it comes to cars and bikes, the one with the cash first wins.

12. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Our deal was he would deliver the truck along with title (to prove ownership) and I had the cash in hand. Like BEAR said maybe I didn't need it. And it would suck if the block was cracked from freezing as it was wrecked 3 months ago and we've had a cold winter for this area. tnrotter

13. Maybe he couldn't get the title and the other guy didn't care? There could be 100 different reasons. If I don't have cash in my hand, it isn't yours till I do.

14. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

There was no "other offer" he just didnt like what he agreed to and tried to bait you into saying you'd cover the difference. 5-oh's are everywhere, shouldnt need to pay more than 2-300 for a stock runner anyway.

15. A mans word is his bond .Ya it sounds old fashioned but with the way of the world these days , maybe not a bad idea!!!
    By the way I am teaching my boys , 8 and 10, that very same life lesson. As my Dad and Mom did for me.
    And sometimes people just suck! My two cents,Rob.

16. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

If you pay for it, you own it... if not, it's still in play.

Donna and I used to go antiquing...and a sign I saw once said: If you see something you like, buy it...or it'll be gone when you come back for it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. 1951fordf100

1951fordf100
    from Idaho

I was taught a long time ago... A man is only as good as his word. I guess, like many of you, I too am old school. A hand shake and my word is as good as a signed contract. Times sure have changed.

18. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I still do a deal on a hand shake. I guess I'm 36 now ( had to think about that one!) and a man's word is a man's word. Verbal agreement. I think what this other guy pulled is chickenshit. You did right by holding off until he had the title, who knows what he might have sold without.

Devin

19. Sounds like the S.O.B knew what to do when he 'didn't know what to do'.

20. Top Fuel

Top Fuel
    from Cincinnati

I was raised that a mans word is his bond. Obviously many people don't feel the same way. About 9 years ago, the ex wife was set to buy a business of an 82 year old man. After we(us and our lawyer) went over anything and agreed on a price, he shook my hand and said "My word is my bond". Well, his word wasn't worth shit! Long story short, he sold the same business to 4 other people and arranged for all of us to arrive on the same day to move the assets of the business. There were 3 other semis sitting there when we pulled up with ours. While he was arranging all this, he sold all the equipment, furnishings, etc. on Ebay and loaded up everything and delivered it on his way to Florida. We were out $300,000. The old man got what he deserved. He was prosecuted, convicted, and died in prison. Sad to say, now I trust no one.

21. rustyhood

rustyhood

Sounds like some people didn't have very good parents. I to believe in a mans word, handshake and ass kicking. If the first 2 go wrong....the 3rd is to be expected.
    But it would be a real bitch to pay that asshole and find a towtruck backing up to it in your driveway from the car lot that he still owed by not keeping his word. my 2c

22. When I make a deal I make it a point to shake on it. To me a handshake is worth more than a name on a piece of paper and that goes both ways whether buying or selling.I'm also sure to look directly into the others persons eyes while doing so. If the other person can't look you in the eye he is not trust worthy.

23. awoo23

awoo23

I totally agree that people should keep their words. But, I think things happen for a reason and that it just wasn't meant for you to buy that truck. You'll probably find something better later on.

24. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

I would have told him, no need to think about it because I don't want it any more. The guy is just trying to jew you out of another $100.00.

I do believe a man is only as good as his word, if there was an agreement made, that should be that. Sad thing is, most folks don't see it that way in this day and age and are willing to lie, cheat or steal to get ahead in life.

I wouldnt worry about it to much, I am sure he does this sort of thing to everyone he meets and sooner or later it will catch up with him. I also believe in a neat little circle of things called karma.

25. "Sounds like some people didn't have very good parents. I to believe in a mans word, handshake and ass kicking. If the first 2 go wrong....the 3rd is to be expected."

I agree with this life statement, and yesterday I had a customer who took me out of the parts buisness and entered me in the banking buisness by not paying his bill in the agreed time, had to show my ass and told him it was his responsebility as if our agreement had been met I would have been civil but he changed it when he did'nt pay in the agreed time. The world still needs Clint Eastwood justice................

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

You shoulda just paid for it once the "deal" was done. You knew the fuel shut of was tripped from being hit, and you held out to drive the price down, then didn't pay or leave a deposit. Uh huh. Get over it, as they say.

27. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Word is bond. Don't have much else.

Funny thing..I usually quote my best price on selling. The more ya try and "dicker"...I go up.

Come back later and the price goes up.

Come back again and the price goes up again.

Buy it now..get the best price..........I don't have time for the bullshit..buying or selling.

M.

28. Crestliner

Crestliner

That is my thinking, unfortunately, lot of people don't have the morals we were raised with. Come look in my building and see all the parts boxed and ready to ship. Most are for HAMB members, not sending the funds.

29. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Make sure you let them know the world is full of assholes too, or they'll be standing out in the cold like the OP.
    My biggest pet peave is relying on someone's word, then discover their word is bullshit.

30. ...and if you would have gotten it, you'd be laughing at how you put one over on this guy. You get what you give in this life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.