Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What era hot rod are you building and what influenced you the most?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I know. It may hafta wait a while.

2. Do more than think about it Chris... It's addictive!!!!! :-D

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's expensive, too.........................

4. Early 60"s showrods do it for me....

5. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Late 40's, early to mid fifties, for me that was the golden age, for cars, hot rods, customs, architecture...........

6. Yeah ... well... ummm It ain't exactly cheap but it doesn't have to be as expensive as Jegs and Summit want you to think.

7. cheezwiz

cheezwiz

I agree with JEEM, I think you can take something from every era, well almost ,(billit hater as well!) For example, my next personal project is a '54 chev 210, 16-11" E-T 's on rear, halibrand fronts, laying on the ground (SHOCKING!!!) most stock exterior trim, stock seats, '62 impala steering wheel, van tilt. Here's the kicker, TPI motor... dont get excited, wait till you see it! it's gonna fit perfectly with my theme!!

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Influence for a hotrod? Take off the excess weight, chop or channel to decrease wind resistance, good brakes and rubber, big motor, loud exhaust. Go like hell, never wash it.

9. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Late 50 to mid 60's for me
    The 54 F100 fits into the late 50's theme, there will be progress pictures after the first of the year .
    My 62 Falcon project will be 1964 right down to the galaxie wheels and dog dish hubcaps, 3-2 with Autolites, ect
    mid 60's were my High school years , and after highschool I got into sport cars untill 2004

jim h

10. ehdubya

ehdubya

Parts don't necessarily dictate a theme. Like Oldspert I'll use anything, the trick is making it look like it grew there.

11. I was influenced by 60's show/drag cars, clean and polished with the heart of a drag car.....take this,
    [​IMG]
    and mix in a little of this.......
    [​IMG]
    and this is what I came up with,
    [​IMG]

12. 2Hep

2Hep

Late 50's early 60's, though I do enjoy the late 40's style...but always tend to make 'emm look like the later part of the 50's. Reason why: My father and mother. Growing up hearing stories. Though I have a hankering to do a bare bones war style roadster-

13. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

I like the 60's drag cars, that's what does it for me.

Attached Files:

14. In our neigborhood at the tender age of 12, 1974, I remember a '55 Chevy 150 period drag car, SBC crossram, 4 speed, 4 pt roll cage, tow bar, and every warm saturday morning my buddies and I would gather across the street and wait in anticipation of his pretrack tuning! Oh yeah! Open fenderwell headers loud as anything! Not a TLB car but a simple homebrewed machine.............My '55 will be similar to this except for the TLB inspired BBC with tunnel ram. My first car was influenced by all this as it was '57 2dhtp Bel Air 283 glide when I got it at the age of 13 and by 16 had a 396/muncie steel tilt, alunium firewall. Should'nt have let it get away.........

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Ted Nugent is still touring now. Recently saw him on a talk show announcing his 6000th concert. Hard to believe.

For me ; early 50's through early 60's Rods and Customs, though some Rod styles through the 60's to the mid 70's do it for me.

16. Larry T

Larry T

60's and 70's here. Because they're what I remember from when I was trying to figure everything out.
    Yep I'm a COF.
    Larry T

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

building my 31 Tudor in the early 40's era. Love the stripped down, no nonsense way of doing things, back then.

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

No but picture this sweet ride.

A nice 40 Ford body with Flat black paint and a gasser stance, turquoise ZZ Top stripes, a set of tru spokes, a spider web grill, billet steering column with a banjo wheel and peach tuck and roll leather seats.:eek:

19. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

graffiti era was our scope circa 61-62 ish. the cars of that era will allways stand true [ my opinion] yesterday-today-tommorrow. the building of hotrods sometimes gets so off topic, nice to see its coming back full circle. left over old copies of Little pages, my dad, have been my biggest influence since i was a young lad.

guys rip on the munci and vega box. one a-wipe bashed my billit columb drop [ only billit part on my car]

walked over to his flatty powered 40, sitting up top his flathead was a big f-in billit alternator. WTF? He told me alternators were more reliable than generators, my generator would leave me stranded some day.

i love my short lil 57 pontiac generator, love my billit columb drop, dislike jeolouse, fat , gay gentlemen.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

This may be the most badass car I've seen on the HAMB, good job!!

21. I like cars from many different eras, especially if they stay fairly true to the era. I can really appreciate those who go the extra effort to pull it off, but I don't get too anal about it either. I think if you stay within the "Spirit of the Era" then it's OK with me, after all its a HOT ROD not a restoration. By the same token, if it is a restoration of a famous old car I like to see it kept at correct as possible.
    Having said that I have no real clue as to the actual era that my car is most influenced by. The cars that came to mind were McMullen's, Coonan's ex Lobeck Roadster, Phil Cool's and Gary Kessler's. Some say it a late 60's look others say 70's. I like to say it was the anti Christ to the resto Rod movement of the 70's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Don't give too much away.......damn! haha

-------------------------
    Dude, you get it.

----------------------------
    HA, that's awesome...

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

Any more ??????

24. For me it is the mid-60's! Love the lace paint, big flakes, hydros. The time was a little early for lowriders, but a little late for customs. Both styles seemed to kind of merge together!

25. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Late 40's to Mid Fities.
    Influence : Post WWII Rodders

Attached Files:

26. rusty48

rusty48

I think everybody here likes old style stuff,but some of us got to go with what we got or can scrounge.I buy very little new parts.

27. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

As far as I know, having not been alive, my car is mid-late 60's small town drag style. I started out wanting a cool sleeper/stocker, kinda early S/S style, then I fell in love with the AWB stuff from '65 or so, and now I just got a tunnel ram, cause it wasn't crazy enough, so that kinda threw it all off. The solid axle is a '63 as is the car, the motor was around in '65 and the same with the Cragars, and I don't really know when tunnel rams showed up.

I just love all the factory drag stuff from the 60's. Everything from '62 lightweight Galaxies and Tempests to '68 Hemi Darts and CJ Mustangs. I love all the crazy stuff guys did in the pursuit of speed. Lexan windows, stripped down interiors, fiberglass everything, in-your-face induction and exhaust. That is the era I wish I was alive for.

28. Brewton

Brewton

It's hard for me to pick a certain era - but, the late 50s early 60s seems to be my favorite. I'm building my coupe along the lines of early 60s, but it will not be period perfect.

29. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

At the moment early 60's style,but the next one will be pre-war.I love the look of 60's Show Rods and the Pre-War thing is more about the simpilcity/purity of it all.

30. PAPASMURF

PAPASMURF

late 40's, early 50's because it reminds me of the story's Joe Sr. (grandpa) used to tell me about the good ol days when he came back from the war living in San Diego...