Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What eng/trans combo for 37-38 Willys pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Oct 24, 2017.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

What would you choose for an engine/trans combo for a street driven 37-38 willys pickup?
    I would prefer a standard trans.
    There is not much space in that little engine bay, so no big blocks, and cooling is also a major factor.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Can't really say for the 37/8, in the '40/1 truck a nailhead out of a '54 Buick works well ( 322). ;)

You are going to get as many answers as there are engines here. If it were mine I would probably stuff my small block in it and go. But my ol man would have use a nalhead. @flamedabone would stuff a 389 in it @Crazy Steve would stuff a ford of some sort in it.

I would probably avoid tall deck motors like a MOPAR B/RB or a tall deck 427 Chevy because of the width at the head. Hemis will give you the same problem.

Soooooo just choose one I guess. ;)

3. oldolds

oldolds

Ya wanna have some fun? Drive everyone crazy? Put a 4 cyl Chevy or Mercruiser in it. Kinda easy fit, enough power. and prob great fuel mileage. Yes. it will still be a hot rod because you will be about triple the stock Willys H/P. I know it wasn't what you wanted to hear. lol

4. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Its gotta be a v8, i love the sound of a ford 302.

5. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Gonna be tough with the 37/38 nose. You can’t afford to lose any room in the cab by altering the firewall. I’d say 4.3 with a t5.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Dare to be different. Think about a GM/Buick-Pontiac 3.8 factory supercharged V6. They are found in many front drive models and can be converted to rear drive configuration using the T-5 manual trans from S-10 4 cyl or V6 pickups. What could look better or be more traditional in a Willys of that era than a blower engine?

Ray

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  7. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

The more i think about it i think the 302 is a contender for me, anybody know what years/donors had a 5 speed that will bolt up?

8. squirrel

squirrel

5.0 mustangs had a T5 behind a 302

I guess the blown early hemi is a tight fit, but you can do some trimming and get it in there.

Blown Olds would work, or even a blown early Caddy.

Paul likes this.
  9. Duellym

Duellym

Basically everything from 83- 95 (I think) had a 5.0 and a 5 speed in it for mustangs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Black and Decker Aquarium Pump

1933_willys_77 and X38 like this.
  11. -It's a Willys -so it should be something big-There is a reputation to uphold
    .....plus...Nobody ever complains they have too much power!

12. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Since you did ask:
    If you want to irritate the livin' hell out of everyone, & have miles of smiles while doing it, hop up the willys mill. They were pretty tough, were capable of hi rpm, came in flattie or ohv ( well, F head actually), had a decent aftermarket following (- although not common like sbc), & can easily withstand boost. Boost of your choice incl turbo, centrf - incl late model vertical types & the couple of 'flat' versions which would include the Graham version, roots-type - gmc to the new mercedes type, etc. + all the other little goodies you could make for this one. They were often referred to as "Singer Sewing Machines" back in the day. Would garner more attention than almost any other mill. At a local "Orphans' Car Show", there is a stock circa-'40 Willys coupe that shows up every now & then - & it creates a lot of interest as folks look at it n the mill & then discuss it... :D . Not too many just walk away. The most often heard comment is: Yup, that's the very rare, factory, spl-non-hemi mill option. :D . Hopped up should get you 3-4 times the oem power, w/good driveability. If you want some ideas to help create the mood &/or start the "hmmm, ya know..." thinking, visit the old Turbo Stude website. Not mine, but worth perusing for applicable ideas.
    Marcus...

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

If you dare...you can build a 4.1 Buick V-6 from a wimpy 150hp to over 1000hp. Depends on your money..!
    I even have a 6-71 blower manifold (and other parts !) for this combination (long story).

Mike

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You've already said Ford 302, so, buy a 5.0 Mustang, 5 speed, and use the rear end too. You may even be able to use the cable clutch mechanism and front disc brakes. The hardest part........................do you have the truck already? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. That was going to be my recommendation! Not fair.:(.

OKAY, I agree. Something different. One of the cars I see around here that I am always drawn to is a T Bucket with a 4 cyl ford engine. Neat.

Ben

16. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Lol, no i dont have it yet, but i know where it is, i think this ^^^ is the way to go for me, plus if the willys doesnt work out i can use the powertrain in another truck i have.

17. Duellym

Duellym

Ecoboost would probably fit if you wanted something not "traditional"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app