Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Else Do You Collect?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Jun 24, 2008.

1. zeitlerusmc

zeitlerusmc
    BANNED

thats a sweet little setup you got there!

2. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

Old 78rpm records, vintage clothes, automotive stuff, 1950's furniture and other crap that I don't need to bring home. However, a wise man once said, "crap doesn't buy itself". I guess that's where us "collectors" come in, eh?

A buddy of mine bought a RPU body with some door art on it that says "Schumann's Gulf Service". I need to photograph it and post it here, it's pretty cool. He was wondering what to do with the door to preserve it. I told him that before the build he should remove it and replace it with a different door and then have someone reproduce the sign with hand lettering, etc and then hang the original in his garage. It would be a shame to have anything happen to the original. The paint is just barely hangin' in there after 70+ years of weather, but the outlines are pretty visible along with a signature!

3. There's a bunch of stuff collecting dust at my place ...

I'm still collecting parts for my '62 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider ... it was my daily driver throughout most of the 80's:
    [​IMG]
    ... and then I got the crazy idea to completely re-restore it ... almost 20 years later, and it's still not back on the road:
    [​IMG]

... I also collect Petroliana:
    [​IMG]

... and 1960's slot cars ... mostly 1:24 Eldon (to add to the sets I played with as a child):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

... Oh ... and I can't forget my son's collection of "Chevron Cars" (http://www.chevroncars.com/meet) ... I (I mean he) has every car ever produced (except for the limited production "Gold Dusty" Autopia car ... I have better things to do with $2500).

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yeah, I had an old model A pickup box I got from Lake Amanor CA about 4 years back and it was sign written for the local plumber, not fancy but real local history. Man it was old, I made a big mistake and sold it to fund a newer box that came with no character whatsoever.

Wish I had kept the old one!

5. Great thing is, as old as these tools are they would still do the job today.
    Try that with all the cheap Chinese crap they are importing.
    The high cost of these tools all makes sense when you look at an 80 year old set like this that's still usable today.

6. Old stuff associated with my Comets.

Parts, brochures, documents, manuals, toys etc.

Also have a lot of old tools, various state tags and dozens of car emblems (from my boneyard scavenging days).

7. Dirty2

Dirty2

I'm with you .

8. alienboyfinney

alienboyfinney

Old Wooden planes

9. Chad s

Chad s

Actually, surprisingly its only 20 guage!They are quite flimbsy. The tools are of very high quality for the time (but crude by today's standards), but the boxes were outsourced (snap on didnt manufacture their storage cases/boxes until the 1950's).

Its hard to say how much I have in each set. These are very hard to find, and your chances of finding one even near complete are slim. Generally you find the box, with 1/3 to 1/2 of the tools intact if you are lucky. Then finding some of the tools is very hard. You can pay $30-75 for some of the individual tools, and the 4pt sockets are very hard to find, and the universal sockets from this era are very rare as well. I buy many lots of tools, so I am always getting components for future set that I find. I paid around $200-225 for each of the above boxes, with maybe half of the tools intact, but only the common drive tools were included, all of the ratchet, ratcheting adaptors, T handles, most of the 1/2" drive sockets, eta had to be added to complete them. I would think an estimate of $500 to put one of these together is about right.

Now if you wanted something a lot more affordable, a 9/32 drive set is much more addordable, and your chances of finding a complete one are pretty good.

Here are some 9/32 sets (left to right: mid 1920's, early 1930's, and 2 WWII era 1940's sets):
    [​IMG]

10. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

Spending $37.40 in 1927 is the same as spending $450 in 2007, and at the rate everything has increases lately you can probably add another couple of hundred to that. Just like today, Snap-on tools are owned by serious mechanics.

I also collect Precious Metals as in Blued steel, satin finish and a few nickle plated.

11. roadracer

roadracer

Take a wild guess what I like - tiki and pedal cars :)

nothing much better than finding some old tiki-style bowl from a long-forgotten restaurant or a 40 year old pedal car in a flea market.

12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Yep, I'm a pedalcar/ kid riding toy collector. There is no known cure.

Attached Files:

13. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Old coins, everything I can find original for the car I'm building, and guns. I have an 1812 Belgian single shot .22 that was the proto-type for the Winchester single shot .22. It must have been illegally imported because it is not known in any firearms record in the US. Great shape still and I bought it in 1980 in anticipation of my first born son (which ended up being a daughter).

14. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

High heel shoes from dead hookers..........:eek:

15. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Cool! I have four Giulia Spiders in various states of disrepair. As nice as yours is, I would expect it wouldn't take much to finish it.

I answerd on the previous thread about this but what the hell.

I collect lots of crap but mostly car related stuff like diecast models, etc. and old beer cans - the kind you need an opener to get into like this.

[​IMG]

16. Kerry67

Kerry67

Morgan Silver Dollars, Walking Liberty Half Dollars, Old Currency, and anything to do with Station Wagons

17. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer

Insulators, mostly glass ones.

Alex.

Attached Files:

18. Harley-Davidson memorabilia. Hamm's Beer junk. Ford Dog Banks.
    Vintage dirt bikes, although I've cut back cuz i ran out of room at 27 bikes, now down to 8 that I really like.
    Trying to collect a die cast model of every car I've owned (anyone have a 71 Pinto or Triumph Spitfire?) Right now that total is 64

19. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

vinyl toys mostly by kidrobot

old lithographs, pinups, and some magazines with good girl and bad girl cover art.

[​IMG]

20. Ledfut

Ledfut

WWII militaria, mostly Canadian stuff. Original campaign medals, cap badges, helmets, bayonets, recruiting posters, RCAF stuff, etc. And lots of books on the subject as well.

21. I used to collect broken bones - but after breaking my Sternum in an off road race truck I've tried to quit (although I manged to break my back anyway)

22. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yeah, I met a guy from the HAMB who collects Hemi's.
    Got to be strong and have alot of room to stack them!
    Great choice all the same.

Seems we dont have any old barbed wire collectors amongst us!

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Oh, they're here. They're just too busy making sure that they have one of each kind.....

[​IMG]

24. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

25. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

I collect tribal art from Burma/Myanmar. Love that place. Here's the latest bronze Buddha that I bought at an estate auction. It's an ancestral Mandalay piece, over 200 years old.

Attached Files:

26. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Skateboards among other things.........
    [​IMG]

27. zombo27

zombo27
    from E-town Ky.

I collect Skateboards also, except I ride them. Fuck that wall hanging shit. I have a McGill I ride to death.

28. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

I love that!!!!!!

29. BlackCherryImpala

BlackCherryImpala
    from Girard, KS

I collect books, and not just old car, custom car books and magazines, but actual fiction and literature and poetry. Favorite authors: Jack Kerouac, Ed Abbey, John Nichols, Hemingway. I used to collect moving violations, but I gave that up after 3 tickets in 2 days in 3 different States. I had to take out a loan to clean up that mess. Stupid kid I was.
    BlackCherry