Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What early Ford steelies suit these tyres ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chev34ute, Jan 18, 2018.

1. chev34ute

chev34ute

Hey Guys.

I found a pair of tubeless bias plies under the veranda of a property I have renovating. I dragged them out brought them home and washed off the remaining dirt on them.. I am guessing they had been sitting under there since the sixties or seventies as the property is very old and was owned by the same family for generations before the purchase.

What I would like to do is use them on an unfinished Model A Roadster project i want to sell off later this year, so street legality is not an issue, as long as they hold air. The size is 6.45 by 14.
    I am wondering what early stock style five stud Ford rims would work with these tyres, preferably ones that can take rotors, late sixties early seventies Falcons, Mustangs etc ?

I am trying to keep costs down on the project to keep to keep the selling price low. I will splash out on a brand new I Beam front end which will be the single biggest expense along with a new set of 15 or 16 inch black dual stud steelies for the back end, but even for these I will be seeking out used tyres. The tyres are only to get it rolling and to look the part, so the front wheels will have to match the style of the rears.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

DSC01167.JPG DSC01169.JPG

2. Is,nt 14 inch just a little to small ( like 1 inch ) to clear all that early Ford stuff in your front end. Anyway i think that tyre will tear open when you start pumping up the inner tube.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. swifty

swifty

According to the Antique Tires catalog any rim from 4" to 6" wide is suitable therefore wheels off any XR to XC Falcon would be fine.

4. Be extremely careful when and if you air those bitches up on whatever rim you choose. They could be subject to exploding right off the rim.....not a pretty picture, sometimes deadly.
    Any tire dealer would be glad to give you some may-pops from his junk pile that would be a safer bet for roll around tires. I do it often. Just saying..............................:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your going to buy a new front end, new wheels for the rear, and your going to put those old dried out scrap tires on it? I just don't get it. I understand trying to save money where you can but surely there must be some "better" used tires you can get your hands on, even if you are using them just for rollers.

Hnstray and tfeverfred like this.