Register now to get rid of these ads!

What draws you to a car show?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by autoworx1, Mar 3, 2010.

1. duste01

duste01

and I dont like paying for people to see my car......

2. zzford

zzford

I go for the midget toss.

3. loosenutNH

loosenutNH

usually for me it's about when my friends have cars they finished and are on display at a certain event..
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a good topic. There's so many reasons to hit different shows. As a builder or exhibitor you go to be judged by your peers and have pros and spectators rate your work. As a builder/restorer you may go to see what's up. Who built what, how long, sometimes how much. Outdoor shows are mainly for fun and social time. Good examples of those abound like Billetproof, Hunnert, etc. The other good hook to an outdoor event is a swap meet. Here in Belleville, MI it's almost all about the swap but there's a show too. I seldom see the show myself but when I do I can see the exhibitors efforts and anticipation. Indoor big events like Autorama are all reasons under one large roof. There's restos, traditionals, high zoot billet rods, early kustoms, and of course, race cars. Hard to thaw one's mind the time of year that goes on. Then there's Meadowbrook. I'll go on record to say if anyone here can't find a few cars there that don't inspire or excite them, you're not as much a gearhead as you think. Where else can you see the SOHC motored Superstang and a pre-war Alfa on the same grounds? That's not to say Pebble Beach and Amelia Island are out of the discussion at all, I'm just being local.

For me I go as a builder to places like Autorama or Meadowbrook. I go other places just for me. Just sharing the time with friends who have the same sickness. It's nice to get technical once in a while and look at how things wer done or to get inspired by a certain stance or body line. At last years Billetproof Detroit dustyoldbodyman and myself started looking over loveoftiki's old Ford. Somehow we cleared some cobwebs and restyled the thing and Bob put a pencil to it. Also scored a jumbo deal on a tilt steering column from a 63 Riviera. That was a good show and those were just some highlights. Trophies are great if you want or need the recognition, and some builders and owners really do need that. It's a good thing to aspire for awards. Keeps quality and values high as well as provide some provenance to the cars. I believe any show that provides the spectators and owners a goodie bag full of smiles and permanent memories is a winner. Financially? Sorry, not my thing. I don't know what it takes to make a profit at an event. It seems like the old racing claim applies. You know, the one that goes "...to make a small fortune at [racing], start with a big one." Maybe, maybe not. See ya at the show kids...

5. ROADSTERJEFF

ROADSTERJEFF

The people and talking about car!

6. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The biggest draw for us to car shows is family. We are considered family by the S&S race team and people like barb hamilton. Living here in maine we have quite a ways to travel to get to any of the shows. It takes us 3 hours just to get out of the state. We will be making a 20 hour drive one way to one of our shows this year but it is well worth it. Spending time with family and watching dragracing is our pull.
    Gasser Girl

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Location, location, location. flea market. variety of the cars. Entrance fee.

Location...some shade, some grass. A park is the best and NOT a hot ass macadam parking lot in front of a Target store. Something about the place has to be a positive and pleasant.

A flea market to browse is a big plus. Often I go for the F.M. more than the show cars.

I like all cars so as long as they are old I don't mind a few bone stockers and I can easily avoid the bling buggies.

It never ceases to amaze me that the promoter wants to gouge the main attraction...US

We have a local show that gets lots of cars that I sometimes go to as a spectator. 25 bucks to park in their hot ass parking lot for a few hours so the public can look at my ride?? Really?! I don't think so. Somebody has to pay for the overhead to put on a show but it should be the spectators and not the participants that pay most of the freight. IMHO The entrance fee is often the straw that breaks the camels back for us when it comes down to, do we go as spectators, participants or stay home.

Trophies? You can't be serious. Trophies are cool when you first get started in the sport for reassurance but they are just dust collectors that end up in the basement in a box. I love the originality of some of the home made trophies but they don't draw me to a show. That being said... the trophies at the Jalopy Rama this year will be killer cause I know who is making them. I'm looking forward to see what he comes up with.:)

Just my old man opinionated thoughts.

8. Weasel

Weasel

One of my favorite shows is the Outriders Picnic held near Irvine Lake in the hills so everybody gets to drive outside of town to get there. Plenty of shade trees, all parking on grass around a large pond, live surf band, raffle with tons of giveaway prizes and killer Tri Tip 'n Beans for all, cooked by the club members. The show is always sold out weeks in advance, reasonably priced, packed and the quality of the cars is phenomenal - a lot of old school rodders with a huge variety of timeless and interesting cars - just pure quality through and through - and NO trophies. Oh yeah, and I get to catch up with Cyclone Kevin...;)

9. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Soylent Green; "It's the people!"

10. playtag

playtag

Swap Meets draw my attention I rate a show by how good the swap meet is and how many good looking woman are walking around! Short skirts add extra points!

11. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

The drive, the swap meet, the old friends, the new friends that can be made and the opportunity to check out the latest builds.

I've noticed that a lot of the events I have attended for years that many of us hangout/park in the same place year after year.....

12. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

If the people putting on the show have a good attitude thats first on the list.
    Mix of cars at the show is second on the list.
    Distance now days come into play with the price of gas.

the Pile up, BTT50's, and the show at old skool rods in Monticello Mn, are examples of a shows done right in my humble opinion.

13. paintcan54

paintcan54

We go to see old friends that we don't get to see all year. The wife has two can not miss shows one is the "Rebel Run at Lima, Ohio" and the other is well the NSRA Nats in Louisville". I like the HRR in Bowling Green. A good swap is always a nice bounis to any show. A good setting is nice too I like a lot of shade and good clean restrooms.

14. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I have to agree. One of the best shows IMO.

[​IMG]

15. april may

april may

buahahha!

16. Rough Stock

Rough Stock
    from Austin, Tx

Beer Bellies and Bearded Mary's

17. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Good swap meet

18. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I like participating in car shows where unsuspecting public is roped in, like a Main street cruise or a parking lot with a lot of non-related traffic. It's really neat to share your car with people that happened to see all the cars gathered, and aren't particularly into cars - but become intrigued and interested.

19. mcann05

mcann05

It would have to be the drive there with my wife and 2 year old son in the back. Also watching his face light up when we pull in and he sees all the cars.

20. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

21. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

I like to see everyone in their car show costumes.

22. I'm sure you will..I literally go to every show passing out flyers and showing my car or cars...and always have my big photographers camera in hand usually wearing an "arrowood rod & kustom" shirt

23. as some have said a chance to see new to me,( not the junk thats sitting on all the new car lots that have suddenly became the local cruise in cars for the old folks with money i.e. new covettes, mustangs and challengers) and different cars

and a swap meet allways seem to be looking for something for my old junk

one thing that will draw me to a show ive never been to is if the flyer says the___ annual the bigger the number is the more im confident there will be more cars to see which means if its been going on for more then 5 years (as a for instance) it prolly means they have most of the b.s. figured out and people keep coming back

one thing i hate is to to go to a show , doesnt matter how far and finding less then 20 cars

i talked myself out of going to the goodguys show in bowling green k.y last year ...im going this year
    and thinking REAL hard about the hunnert in illinios

24. I like nostalgia drag races with car shows as a side event.

25. well, im 17... i like them after about 4, not as many perfects but more blue collar people with drivers.
    midnight mass is perfectttt!!!!

26. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Me Too!!! I'm sooooo tired of cameros, mustangs, and pt cruisers.
    This year I plan to make as many of the traditional shows I can, maybe even a road trip to Montana and Idaho with a stop in Sheridan, Wyoming to say Hi to all the folks there?

27. Nomadness

Nomadness

The shows around here pretty much suck. When I do go it's mostly to goof on all the in-breeders.

28. 73super

73super

Ditto.. i like the rock-a-billy in small quantities.. but I like family oriented venues.. good MIX of cars, etc.

29. GrantH

GrantH

camping....definitely. tired of 150 dollar rooms once the show grows. that + beer on grounds (brought or sold....i will buy it) + the people. the cars are cool, but i like talking to people a bit more I think.

30. stop threw Michigan and check out the show I run, I know quite a few Ohio guys will be coming for the weekend and camping