Register now to get rid of these ads!

What draws you to a car show?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by autoworx1, Mar 3, 2010.

1. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

What is it about a car show that makes you drive hours to one show but not the other? Is it the location, the people, the date, trophies, the cars or something else? We're preparing for the 5th Annual Boneheads show and would like some incite!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

When I go, I am hoping to see something new. In a lot of cases, it seems as though it's the same cars every year and nothing new has been done to them. Pisses me off when I drop good money to see the same cars I saw at cruise night.:mad: Now I go to meet up with people and hang out. All the while, looking for a car that I've not seen before.

3. good question, I'm on my 4th annual show and always wondered how some shows that are basically the same as mine get 1,000 plus cars and I got like 300, I never understood how some guys wont drive 2 hours to my show but will drive 20 hours to Florida for a show or 6 hours to Illinois

theres gotta be something there doing that I need to do but just havent figured it out yet..hopefully this year that'll change

4. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

I hated to hear this from Mick with the Stray Kats, but he said a lot of it is plain luck!

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Good weather, good venue, good price, some non-car entertainment in the area for family, and to take a lesson from the Manifolds On Main show here in Texas, invite some historic / race cars and pass out fliers at every other event you can drive to.

And maybe a run-on sentence or two :D

6. metal man

metal man

For me it's all about a good swap meet and on-site camping with my friends.

7. two things I'm adding to my show this year..maybe that'll help

8. Friends, drag racing.

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Trophies.

Beer and friends.

And trophies....isn't that why we have these cars?

10. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Not sure how many of you have been able to attend the Greaserama in KC but it is a killer show. Lots of cars, tons of entertainment and great venue. We are lucky enough to have a drive-in theater as well in the small town we live in. If you attended a show at a drive-in, would you rather have live music during the day or a movie that night? To me the movie is just "extra", good live music during a car show, well....can make the show. At this point it would have to be one or the $other$.

11. Vorhese

Vorhese

Vibe
    Not being overly rock-a-billy
    No crybaby dolls
    Being able to bring my dog
    Weather
    free for spectators

12. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I don't have any problem finding enough shows to fill my spring/summer/fall that I don't have to drive over a couple of hours to.
    It's been my experience that last year's is no measure of what will be there this year.
    The only weather that would ever slow me down would be an active hail storm because driving into one at any rate of speed will get the windshield busted, Pull over and wait until it passes, then on to the show.
    Since I'm paying them to be there any restrictions on food or drink to promote their concessions are out of line. If I can take my cooler and go to that well without being hasseled, okay, but if they aggressively ban beer, ban personal coolers or that kind of rot, fuck'em. Two conflicting show dates, the one I haven't been to before, then if that's not the case, the closer one of the two.

13. #1 The drive...
    #2 My friends...
    #3 The HAMB...(photos)

14. It depends...I love to go to HAMB shows and shows that are similar to that. I like myself a show that I can sit and talk with other car owners and gain insight. These are good shows.

What seems to be a financially successful show is one that is called a Classic Car Show and you are guaranteed the entire production years of Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles, and others. Don't get me wrong, I like those cars...I just don't want to see a thousand of each...and hearing about how rare it is because it doesn't have a certain console isn't my bag.

Sometimes it's good to have 500 really cool people show up than 5000 "others". Some folks drink it pure, the rest that can't take it like it a little watered-down.

B.M.

15. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

Swap meets,flame throwers,muffler rapping,drag racing,good tunes,and smokey burnouts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

16. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

I like the small shows just to hang out and have a few beers.

17. trophies are nice, but I'm outta room on my shelf

the hunnert car pileup doesnt have trophies and they get a shit load of people

oh and I saw in your sig you sold your Caddy, congrats!

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

For real.....friends, cars and friends. Sins of Steel in June has a bit of each.

As for the Caddy....buh bye! I needed a hotrod worse than most. Now I have a hotrod Kustom and a hot rod T!

19. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Regardless of what's lead on, lets face the facts. Some, I said some, do go for trophies. We have always made homemade trophies for our show. Here are a couple from last year, steel wallet! "Made not Paid"

Attached Files:

20. metal man

metal man

So tell us about your show .

21. For me, it is the cars, the people, time with friends, and the night life. At the Round Up there are plenty of all. The show is always great, there is entertainment (music and mini-bike races), good food, a ton of killer cars, a ton on HAMBers, and the nightlife there is unreal. It is also a good, family friendly show.

22. [​IMG]
    That is too freaking cool!

23. that skull award is badass, nice work!

24. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear

Pontiacs and various odd-looking cars. One show down here I mainly go to visit with my friends though.

25. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

Here is the car that won the "Made not Paid" last year. He is a member of the Kansas Outlaws. If I'm not mistaken he is an amputee. The club got together and built this car with him! Great, great story!

Attached Files:

26. tromollo

tromollo
    from Easton PA

A car show where I dont have to park next to a pt cruiser with stick on flame jobs is one . A car show where some jerk just bought his new 2010 mustang gt and thinks he is now a hot rod guru and parks with his hood up would be another sad show .

I am putting a cruise nite together for the spring because of the crappy ones I have been to last year .My show will be American made 1964 and older only .with music from the 50,s and 60,s Rockabilly and oldies .Cant wait to get that rolling .

I feel better now !:)

27. mines in a large park where the cars park along the river in the grass, with a nice road that wraps around the park..its pre '69 rod and kustoms on one side of the park and on the other side its the stock classics, muscle cars..etc

last year it rained for most of the show but we had people register from Canada, Illinois, Ohio and Wisconsin so that was cool that for once it wasent all Michigan guys

we do various things threw out the day to keep you entertained from bands playing, tug of war contest, low limbo where bagged cars playing limbo, and we have the clubs do various contest to compete for a best club award

new this year will be camping in the park, a beer tent, post party/bon fire, flame thrower contest & swap meet

trying to make it like a billetproof, hunnert car pileup type of show but if you get sick of looking at hot rods and kustoms go down the park a little ways and check out diffrent types of vehicles and diffrent types of people

couple picts from last year

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry not to hi-jake the thread..but I almost started the same exact thread and I think this is interesting to find out what everyone likes and doesnt like

28. It's more of a dragged to the car show. I prefer to spend most of my time being anti-social but every now and then my friends drag me out to one and of course I generally end up having a good time.

29. droppedstepside

droppedstepside
    from new jersey

I think what makes a good show is the type of people that show up for it. The rumblers show in new york city is one of the best, one day free show and the atmosphere is charged with excitement. This show is pre 64, but everything shows up, bikes, race cars, customs. The ones that can't get in just park around the outside and walk in. One other show thats really good is the radir wheel hot rod picnic, it's on a wednesday evening. Also free, and has drawn as many as 1200 cars, live bands, free food and beer and they only ask for a donation when you enter. I go to 4 or 5 other show thru out the season, and there is a small entry fee, but they don't have the feel of these two!