Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What does traditional hot rodding mean to you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oliver westlund, Jan 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

The entire "period correct", traditional scene/trend has become boring and hackneyed. Too many followers and cookie cutter cars, based on some set in stone formula. It has gotten like the often mocked anal restoration crowd, with their matching date codes, bolt markings and other silliness.

2. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

It SHOULD be fun... idk about the scene, maybe I am not close enough to it. Working on old rusty metal is like meditation to me, refreshes me...hot rods the way my dad built em have always been this mystical creature to me. Street rods not so much, never really dug em, still cooler than anything else made today but if i had the money and time it would be spent on time capsules that take me and throw me into black and white movies i grew up on with hooligan teenagers in hopped up black a roadsters. This forum has become really special to me, the wealth of information and knowledge i couldnt learn anywhere else. As i said though, i may be far fro. The "scene" never been to trog, or bonneville, havnt even been to car shows like i used to for a long time now

Just Gary and arkiehotrods like this.
  3. Well, it's nice to know I'm not the only one...

I'll comment on a few statements. The first is that this is basically a 'restorers' site, that we're 'restoring' these cars to a mythical era standard. The day I have to do that, I'm selling all my cars and buying a goddamn Tesla... Hot rodding will be officially dead.

Second, that 'traditional' is defined as what the 'average' backyard builder could do, that 'inked' cars don't represent 'real' hot rodders. Seriously??? So guys like Vic Edelbrock, Phil Weiand, Ak Miller, Gene Winfield, Bill Cushenberry, etc etc etc weren't the real deal?

That both of these schools of thought have adherents here isn't in doubt. After a picture of a chopped and channeled '34 Ford coupe with some interesting custom touches was declared 'untraditional' (it was built in 1959!) I knew that some just didn't 'get it'. This is what leads to lowest-common-denominator builds and is one reason you see so many cars that more-or-less look the same. Imagination and innovation were/are the drivers behind hot rodding, removing those is like making beef stew and leaving out the beef. I for one don't think that using imagination and innovation means you can't do a traditional-type build.

And the biggest irony of all is the days of going to the boneyard and easily getting 'trad' parts is gone (with a large variety to choose from), to be hard-core traditional today requires long searches and/or deep pockets, or reliance on 1-800 numbers for repo parts, another reason for the 'sameness'. I still like wrecking yard parts, what it's off of doesn't matter as long as it looks 'right' to me (or isn't seen).

I was born in 1950, and I can't express my joy of discovering car magazines at 8 years of age. I'd pester my mother for one every time we went to the store, and in 1961 I got my very own subscription to R&C for Christmas. I kept that until they closed shop, and I lucked out as to the timeframe. The '59 to '65 era was the very peak of customs and the thrill of getting a new issue with a new fabulous custom creation or rod on the cover most months is hard to describe. These cars were anything but 'average' but one thing they were was inspiring. The only limits seemed to be imagination; anything was possible. So if you want to settle for a 'restoration' or 'average' car, go ahead, just don't force me to follow suit. I'm going to keep chasing the dream...

4. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I am personally done giving a shit about what others think of my cars. I grew up in the 70s -early 80s reading Hot Rod magazines from the early 60s and my cars tend to reflect that. I build them to haul ass and be street legal. I do not own a late model vehicle . It's a way of life for me not just a current fad.

5. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I’m just sitting here eating some pre-1965 Jiffy Pop popcorn and enjoying the show.

MCjim, 210superair, walter and 4 others like this.
  6. It's my opinion that "period correct" and "traditional" aren't the same thing. And a lot of folks get an instant picture in their head when they think of a traditional hot rod or custom. To me it's a fenderless coupe with big & littles and chopped Merc. But there's so many other options out there.

7. Anderson

Anderson

8. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I dig it...those of you who know what im building and how im building them know theres nothing cookie cutter about em! That said a black raked 31 roadster on wires or 40 steelies is still cool to me! Also traditional...i like time capsules... i like the way it feels. Dave took me for a spin in his hemi 33... it was awe inspiring and a bit scary, just perfect! I drove a 54 through high school. Drove the rubber off of it! Loved every minute. Time capsules, allowing me to experience a sliver of what it mightve felt like in the 40s 50s and 60s

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    wraymen likes this.
  9. FD521320-4367-4BA4-BA3A-9FFD9561D7B3.jpeg
    I like anything old. Most anything modified.
    My favorite traditional style is very low rides with adjustable suspension.
    lowriders and tail draggers
    And off the wall Roth builds and Watson style paint.
    But trad for me personally traditional doesn’t have a year ending date.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    jimmy six and oliver westlund like this.
  10. It’s a good thought provoking post. Unfortunately this topic along with brand of oil, forum rules, loud exhaust, etc. come up more often than a Medicare supplement commercial on local TV stations. They can get pretty nasty so I tend to try and lighten them up with a little dry humor.
    As far as opinions on aesthetics…..they can be helpful but in the end I am the one making decisions. If I screw it all up it’s on me.

11. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You really say a lot here. I like cars too but apparently some hate them.

oliver westlund likes this.
  12. SHHH!!! Everybody look busy, the Mods are comin'.

13. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Certainly wasnt my intent to start a quarrel. ... youd think being like minded (mostly) folks we could all be more tolerant of each other...i havnt heard anyone say cars pollute ride a bike! I could understand a fight breaking out then

wicarnut likes this.
  14. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

How about trucks?

15. XXL__

XXL__

This is why I don't talk about using unleaded in my rides.

16. You didn’t start anything. This stuff has been going on forever. Relax, enjoy…cheap entertainment with some enlightenment on the side. ;)

17. @XXL__ Dig the avatar! It's nice to see another murder hobo HERE of all places.
    Hmm... I wonder if there'd be any interest in a H.A.M.B. DnD social group?

XXL__ likes this.
  18. ^Damn, I’m really out of it. All this time I thought it was a dreidel.

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like these talks. All that's missing is a milk crate, a beverage, and the smells of a shop environment.

As to what is what is truly up to the individual. Whether we like it or not we are in a facet of the restoration school of thought. I spent a lot of time working and reworking a totally off topic street rod for a guy. He loves it, a Speed33 with full fenders. I'm proud of what I did and even added traditional approaches and features where I could. Still, so many tasks made me feel like I was banging the fat chick under the bleachers and got caught. All those "1-800" parts are imported from the lowest bidder and nothing works with the other. Yuk. He wanted frenched taillights and license plate. The current trend was (and maybe still is) to drop em straight in. Really? How about the old way? Form follows function. So I did this instead...

That's the way I remember it done, not some light shaped can dropped in the fender. The point being that when this is referenced as a way of life the traditions will transcend into a lot more than a black Deuce hiboy or chopped Merc. You use the aesthetics whenever and wherever you can. I'd never tell anyone my 39 build is 100% according-to-hoyle traditional. I don't think that even in hot rodding's glory days there were 600W amps and subs but I won't let those items visually dominate their spaces either. I plan to face the subs with 36-39 Ford wide 5 caps. Respect tradition. I'll hide the amp best I can and maybe put a shield in front of it. Can't box it in 100%. Heat concerns.
    I used 50 Chevy armrests for the doors. They look kool. Respect tradition. Some of this can be seen in my build thread.

I've gleaned a notion or 10 from here too. Lots of inspiration available without being a copy cat. And the kitsch. Grenade shift knob, or a devil, or a tiki. Old heater. Old vacuum fan. A couple water slide decals will find their way on it.

What I can recommend for the up and coming, go to some restoration events. Look at restored car details and take pics. Finishes, clamps, engine accessory and option parts, upholstery fabrics. Ask questions as to where to access some of it. I'm in the restoration biz so I have a leg up, but when you do things like proper cat whiskers and old fabrics it goes a long way to following thru on a build and takes a lot of leg work and angst out of it. More focus on the fun stuff. As I think of other schtick I'll reply some more. Where's my milk crate...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2022
  20. Yesterday, I was driving behind a Tesla. It had a bicycle rack on the rear, which I was obviously able to see more of than the car itself. The rack carried four bicycles.

21. Early in my former career my boss told me, "If you're going to be a prostitute, be a good one."

22. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To answer the OP's question: I started building my first hot rod, a model A tudor in 1955. For me personally traditional hot rodding is building what I had or wanted in the 50's and 60's. If I had the funds I would replace damn near every car I owned through those two decades. The two fairly HAMB friendly cars I currently own, built and drive are replicas of two of my favorites from those decades. After spending close to ten years on the HAMB I have become more aware of what we really did back then and have over time made some changes on my cars to make things more HAMB correct. Not because I feel forced to but because I just never thought about some things as I was building the cars. I have been influenced by what I have seen and read on this site. If I had it to do over I would work harder to make my projects fit the guidelines here. (at least how I interpret the guidelines). When I built the engine for the roadster I stuck an alternator on it and never gave it any thought. After some years on the Ford Barn and the HAMB I grew to dislike it's looks more and more. When it gave up the ghost I went with an alternator that looks exactly like the original generator. Like most everyone else who posts I have had some deletes that I didn't understand the reason for but I really respect Ryan and the moderators for keeping this site on track so we can all learn from each other.

23. Crazy Steve, I think you missed my point. The VAST majority of hot rods were built in back yards and home garages, The names you mentioned certainly were the real deal, just as Chip Foose is the real deal today. But NOT like the home builder, who were/are the basis and backbone of the hobby.

24. Got sucked into reading this waste of time, some rabbit holes aren’t worth looking down.

25. Budget36

Budget36

There’s a traditional way of doing things and then there is the HAMB. The traditional way to hot rod a 1930 Model A in 1940 would be to pull the drive train out of a wrecked ‘36? Ford with a FH V8. Keep running those 10 year increments and the traditional way will morph into an LS engine into a vehicle that didn’t come with one. Because tradition is basically doing was what done before.
    But on the HAMB the rules/ guidelines are spelled out for the site, right?
    So even though it was traditional to use the best available stuff to go faster, handle better, ride nicer, etc, That’s not the focus here.
    There’s a few comments “stick around and you’ll get it”. Other comments in other threads as well echoing the same sentiment.
    I joined here some years after I put 2300 dollars of an IFS kit in my ‘36 Ford PU. I had some questions about stuff, then just hung around. I didn’t take me long to get a different sense of things. So, found a 35-40 car frame in great shape. Put the extra parts I had together and decided that a I beam axle and ‘55 Chevy rear end I had was a better option. I also sold the low mileage 5.0/aod setup I had. It won’t be 100% 65 and earlier, but it will be true to the truck if I ever finish it-and I was close many years ago;)

To sum up my long winded reply, tradition is how things were done, the HAMB is focused on how things were done before 1966.
    Seems simple to me to understand.
    Oh, my biggest regret in this chapter of my ‘36, is selling the Chromed MorDrop axle I had since I was a teenager once I did the IFS on the frame. Not the wasted money or time that is sitting on the boxed chassis. That damned axle I sold haunts me.

wicarnut likes this.
  26. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

I enjoyed reading the thread so far, my view of traditional is not the same as Ryan's view. That being said I enjoy this site very much and don't see the need to voice my opinion on what traditional means. Like someone said , I know it when I see it.

27. wicarnut

wicarnut

Enjoy the Hobby and the HAMB and members for what it is, their site with their parameters. IMO, The "Traditional" look, in my younger years I heard it referred to as the "Timeless" look/style. Anything goes in Hot Rodding, build /do what ever trips YOUR trigger, your car, money and building/buying a car to please other people is silly, what ever I had/have is for MY satisfaction, suggest you do the same, I'm 74 now, born into the car deal, played with cars all my life, interests change through time, ENJOY the ride and with a little luck you'll end up another Old Timer with good memories/stories from the car hobby, the best hobby In My Opinion. My opinions and $2/3.00 now will buy you a coffee at most breakfast joints I eat at, Hmmm, I remember when a cup of coffee was 25 cents. Always go to posters profile/albums to see who's talking, no pictures, it never happened, a good unwritten guideline to follow.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

These kinds of threads never go well, everyone has a different Idea of what traditional is. with that said, the following is right from the rules.... I am closing this thread, lets get back to hot rods and customs ok fellas?

5. Was your thread something that has been covered over and over again? Try searching next time. We've had countless threads through the years on bias tires vs. radials, the definition of "traditional," and many other topics. We don't need to rehash what the bulk of us already know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.