Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What does paint color say about your hotrod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Dec 17, 2010.

1. carl4675

carl4675
    from Conroe, TX

I like black cars....and that is the only thing I like black. My 48 when I first got it was yellow and blue...wolverine looking. I hated the color...as soon as I got enough money I had it painted black....it's been 6 or7 yeras now......but it still looks pretty good even though I have drove it probably 50K miles. I'm starting to like a few shades of green...I see 40 Fords and a few 32's that are green...a little different.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- black is beautiful....tan is grand......but white is the color of the big boss man...

2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do black cause I'm real bad colorblind...but mostly, to challenge myself to do the work to make it right. It's a man vs himself kind of thing....

[​IMG]

See ya, -Abone.

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

That is one fine looking Hot Rod...I don't understand why more folks don't use Brown paint....
    Way Cool !!:)
    Cheers......

4. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

[​IMG]

Mine says im poor and cant afford a real paint job. All my money went into the engine and drive train... I plan to get er painted eventually.

5. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Yup, much easier to see at night.:D
    [​IMG]

Some of my favorites are the Red, Blue, but it just depends on the ride.:cool:

6. ironpile

ironpile

To me black says I`m ready to clean and polish frequently,they do look good tho.I had the first chrome yellow car in my home town ,now they are all over the place.That being said I`m painting my avatar "YELLOW" which only proves I`m a tad touched in the head. I`ve never liked following in others footsteps.

7. slammed

slammed

The dweeb's bitch its a 'street rod color' No, it's a stock GM code from '61. It was overused by the lemmings during the mid '80-late '90's easter egg hunt's. Today the semi gloss black/red wheel's are the lemmster's.

8. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

You can draw your own conclusion on what Kandy Pagan Gold says about me and my car, but I know there wasn't another color that speaks as loudly and says as much.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

9. It usually says, "Gee I wanted Levis but my dad got me Wranglers because that was what we could afford." :(

10. Some cars just have to be black. Thirty years ago i was in the booth ready to spray and originally was going with taupe, spelling? Wound up grabbing black off the shelf in the last second. Little man told me so. Never a black one again thou.
    High maintenance. Went 360 on my 50 shoe. Gonna be vanilla. But then again a light color under the hood might not be that smart after all.

Attached Files:

11. :p:p:p

Attached Files:

12. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Mine says "Paint? What's that?" See avatar.:rolleyes:

13. jazz1

jazz1

i march to my own drum,

[​IMG]

14. [QUOTE="T'RANTULA";7807597][​IMG]

Mine says im poor and cant afford a real paint job. All my money went into the engine and drive train... I plan to get er painted eventually.[/QUOTE]

LOL my friend, not in a bad way. I know that you want to restore that car to its original glory and believe that you enevtually will and that is not only unique but something that I can see my self doing.

LOL my friend. :cool:

15. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

<------- I think it works for a late 50's car.

The 64 F100 I just picked up is turd brown mid 70s paint that's got a cool aged look. Works for that truck, too. It's just a beater I use as a real truck. No need for nice paint, no need for body work. As long as it starts, runs, and stops it's met the requirement s I have for it.

My Edsel though, she is a beautiful lady and gets to stay waxed and washed.

16. My bad weather vehicle and hauler is as rough as a cob, I need to sprtiz some paint on it eventually so that it doesn't rust away but you are correct, its a truck. What it says is "I am a working vehicle."
    your Edsel on the other hand needs/deserves to shine like a new dime.

17. nailheadjay

nailheadjay

any pastel colors seem to indicate that you have the wrong hobby!

18. ChefMike

ChefMike

I total agree !!!

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right now it says I had better get my ass in gear and work on it. That worn out faded out purple primer would cause heart attacks in the patina brigade.

20. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

x2 ???

Its like the people who go on YouTube, find a video of say Muddy Waters, and rant about how much they hate blues.

21. What ever looks good on your car. I likebright colors but then again I like black too. My 57 is satin black with a splash of blue.

Attached Files:

22. Red, Black or White say I want to look like every on else or lets make it easy. When I see a different color it makes me think that person put some through and time into it. Just me but I won't paint a tricycle red.

23. My paint's never said a word.

24. TheEngineer

TheEngineer
    from New Mexico

Sometimes the color you chose pays homage to the original color of the car. Unfortunately for me the bottom layer of paint makes me think this it the original color scheme:
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1348620718.397474.jpg
    And since that looks like the inside of a Bradley and the sign clearly states:
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1348620765.479643.jpg
    A dark green with metal flake to match the top half will have to be the color for the entire car.

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

You are probably right but all those beautiful women who tell me that my yellow/white truck looks good impress me more than your opinion.

26. manyolcars

manyolcars

[QUOTE Originally Posted by jazz1 [​IMG]
    I have a sense of humour and don't really give a shit about this "traditional" BS

maybe he thinks hes a rebel by posting pictures of an International truck on a traditional hotrod forum. They were never considered suitable for use as a traditional hotrod

27. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Mine says "I can't afford Wranglers and I'm wearing Tuff Skins.":D

[​IMG]

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

x3. Why are you here?

29. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

I like shiny paint and wanted a color that would contrast with shiny black and chrome. I really don't care what the paint says as long as it met the above criteria. My son that helped me build the car for last 5 years seen this color on a Willys gasser and liked it. I let the open headers do the talking for the car.

Attached Files:

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Mine is white gelcoat. It says I don't have to paint it, unless I want to.:D