Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What does paint color say about your hotrod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Dec 17, 2010.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

What does paint color say about your hotrod?
    To me, black has always been: bad, sinister and elusive.

What about the other colors? Do you think they mean/say something about your car?

2. delaware george

delaware george
    from camden, de

3. TERPU

TERPU

Fuscia, mauve and taupe are just faaabuloous as well.

Black is for me, nothing better than black.

Tim

4. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I had a friend who was just starting a 39 Ford coupe. He said Chevy 327, three twos, four speed. Asked me what I thought about powder blue. I said not for that car, you needs something racy. He ended up building his regular 350X350, stang,tilt,tweed and painting it red. He should have painted that car baby blue.

5. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

RED! look at me

6. I've never seen a yellow car that wouldnt look so much better in a different color.
    yellows just a waste of money

7. choptopdoc

choptopdoc
    from tulsa

Yellow means yer chicken :p

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Black has always looked mean or badass to me.
    White says company car.
    Yellow says highway dept.
    Dark blue is great, but light blue says my wife picked the color.
    Pink says it's my wife's car or I'm confused.

10. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

White tells me you have no imagination.
    Brown is the shittiest color
    But my favorite is bass boat green flake with flat purple flames !!!!!!

rat rods rule!!!!!

12. 55driver

55driver

My "hot rod black" paint job tells the world I'm too lazy to wax a car.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After seeing fields of black cars in some of the rod trot coverage on here it may mean that the owner just doesn't have a lot of imagination or for some it means that he has the body work so straight that it can shiny black.

The flat black brigade all have their own excuses but I think a lot of them think that all of those cars in those old black and white photos from the 30's were actually flat black. They would crap if they found out that that car that they thought was such a cool flat black in that photo was actually dark green with a coat of road dust.

The pastels and white sometimes are the color of choice for those who feel that their body work won't stand up to a dark color or they just got caught up in the 80's or 90's pastel fad and can't afford to paint the thing again.

And sometimes (probably a lot of the time) the color choice is just the guy's or his wife's or his kid's favorite color and that is the whole damned reason the car is painted that color.

I never could understand why a guy would paint a rod or custom a "doesn't show the dirt as much" color though. But that is probably the same guy who shows up with tires and wheels that are all wrong for the car.

14. chaddilac

chaddilac

Mine says it needs help!!!

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife just asked me what was so damned funny but I really got a kick out of your answer. Sometimes it's just easier to tell the truth than give a long winded answer.

16. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

17. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

"My owner likes this color??"

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Black is always a good choice for any era. It can be classy, racy, sinister and understated. The rest of the colors I feel can either be the right color or completely wrong and that even includes Pink.

This coupe is probably one of my top 5 favorite roadster of all time and I think the Pink is what makes the car so damn rad. It's tasteful and fits the rest of the car perfectly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yellow? I mean how can you argue with this fucking car? Hands down one of the nicest.
    [​IMG]

Red is one of those colors that on a swatch it's my favorite but on cars I just think it looks like it's over the top street roddy etc. But when you see the right red on the right car I think there is no denying how beautiful it really can be. Now I am not saying that my car is the right car for everyone but it is for me and I believe that the red paint and all it's flaws are what makes my car so special to me. If it were black, it wouldn't be as cool to me....
    [​IMG]

So I guess the color can make the car as well as the car can make the color. I wouldn't count any colors out of my palette with the exception of neon colors. I think we all can think of one example of a car where it changed our perception of how cool a color can be. Black is a safe bet and our go to color as Hot Rodders but what would Live Wire be if it were painted black? Probably not a memorable right?

19. BISHOP

BISHOP

There are good colors, and bad colors. Turd Brown is a bad color. Candy Root Beer is a good color.

Just an example, good and bad in every color.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Turd Brown. It's cool too.
    [​IMG]

21. skywolf

skywolf

I don't think these guys were confused.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Moondog13

Moondog13

I'd have to agree, nothing wrong with pink if done the right way. :D

[​IMG]

As for my car, it's stock '63 Chevy turquoise. I think they called it Azure Aqua Metallic, or maybe it was Marine Aqua Metallic. I have no idea what that says about me or the car. :rolleyes:

23. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

To me black says you have no imagination. Anyone can do black, red, or yellow. I like brown, oranges, blues, and whites.

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The color of a hot rod says only that the owner wanted to paint it that color. Nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes I see one that catches my eye and makes me say, "Wow, that looks good!" (Jim Jacobs' YELLOW '34 coupe, which I saw in person at the '76 NSRA Nats)

Other times I see one that makes me say, "Yuk! What were they thinking?" (Pretty much any pastel paint 90s street rod still on the road)

But that's my subjective taste, just as the choice of color is the owner's subjective taste. Some colors just don't do it for me; others do. And sometimes a color I would think wouldn't work surprises me (as in the "turd brown" Model A previously posted). But that's still my subjective opinion, and not objective fact.

Too many guys think their subjective opinion should be objective fact for everyone

25. i like black , red , blue as much as the next guy but i get tired of seeing those colors ......with that being said my 57 is most likly going to be blue/white when it finnally sees the road

me and my girfriend have our little inside joke when we see a red early mustang at a cruise, show or driving ...ooooohhh look its a very rare mustang its painted red , just our little thing

black wether its shiny, flat or otherwise on a 32 ford is almost as bad as a red mustang BUT damb a 32 sure does look tits in black

i like to see bright unusal colors done tastefully (thats the trick) i dont think most people have ever looked at a color wheel or tried to understand estedics (sp?) and how they are supposed to work

so its just easier to go with black, red, blue,

like the person above posted most people just think those cars in the black and white pics were black (i think that goes back to the quote that has been mislabeled as coiming from henry ford "any color as long as its black" )

i dont really think that what color you paint your car says anything about you ...i think its just alot of over thinking into what will the "other guys" think ....WHO CARES
    build it the way you want it

color does set a "tone or vibe" for the car though just like the right wheels, engine, etc the wrong color wont give the right impression i.e. lighter pastelly colors usually are on customs and darker colors are usually on hot rods

the only colors i dont like seeing on any cars are neons/ flourescents

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Black tells me you are a perfectionest, and you really like to block sand. I do, but REAL dark blue is my current color of choise, but I havent ruled out a dark green.

27. big bad john

big bad john

.......Black says cool and bad...........always turns a lot of heads.....

28. a lot of people dont agree with me, but i like old/ original paint even if it is a little rusty. Its character i guess you could say.
    ...or it means your too damn lazy to paint it. lol but i like older maybe a little rusty sometimes much better than shiney crazy paint jobs.
    im pretty sure it means your too man lazy but it can be pretty cool. lol

[​IMG]

29. milo1303s

milo1303s

Wheels,tires ,stance. and color that's what makes the car !!!
    Did you miss the memo !

30. Noname38

Noname38

Tell that to Milner