Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do your neighbors think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Preacher, Jul 26, 2006.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My neighbors are too busy minding their recreational pharmaceutical sales territory to even notice what I am doing. They would rather have it that nobody bothers me, as that might bring unwanted attention to the area. I have had some trouble in the past, but they took care of it as soon as they heard about it. It has been really quiet since.

2. The neighbors pretty much tolerate my hot rod habit.
    They notice friends coming and going with hot rods, they watch my wife and I come and go with some junk, but the don't say too much.
    It's the neighbor's kid that go ballistic over the cars up in our yard and garage.
    They WILL BECOME FUTURE GEARHEADS as I keep inviting them around for more autoeducation.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  3. I have very little to do with my neighbours, speak when I see them and keep to myself. When they fuck up I ignore it, when I do some awful thing they feel it's their God given right to yell at me, doesn't do them any good. I've planted 300 trees on my acre of land so even Luke the snoop has a hard time seeing whats going on!

4. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

Im pretty lucky, my neighbor painted my car! :)

[​IMG]

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. When there's Realtors showing property in my neck of the woods I crank up the 'rod and let it idle, punch it (lightly) every few minutes and wave when they all come out to check the yard, beer in hand, even if I'm not having one, just hold an empty can.............:D

I'm friendly with most of my neighbors, the busy-bodies any time they chime in with any advise on how to live or manage my property I tell to go fuck themselves .

6. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

I have lived in my house that used to be outside the city limits and loved it, but with time comes neighbors that don't like "junk cars" and I have several of them. They tried to force me to get rid of my stash and failed now they just kind of avoid me, I was told that one of them referred to me as "Charlie Manson crazy" I would have thought white trash with money but the folks that I have jump started in winter or fixed their kids go carts seem to be ok with me.

7. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

My neighbors are pretty cool with it one of them would always ask my wife at her shop what is he always beating on at midnight on the weekends lol. They said they were ok with it untill i crank them at night then i noticed the other day the one that was always saying my cars were loud he has a new ford truck with duals and new mufflers installed lmao

8. At this very moment, my neighbors are probably too concerned with the three cop cars in their driveway than they are with me. Every couple of months they drink themselves silly and pound on one another. It's a toss up as to which one gets a ride to the Grey Bar Hotel tonight.

9. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

I would like to think I'm responsable for my neighbor moving to the otherside of town and needing therapy twice a week, but I think its just bad breeding. I am a master certified marine tech by trade and in addition to the cars, I have owned several offshore power boats aka basically open headers on a 632 inch big block chevy sitting in your drive way when you flush out the engine. That being said, i never went out of my way to be a dick and will still claim his dseparture was due to lack of an open mind and bad breeding.

Attached Files:

10. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

This pretty much describes the area around my shop. My home is on a hillside on the "good side of the tracks"in an older, but well maintained, stable neighborhood. The terrain means it would have cost more for the grading necessary to construct a shop the size of the one I bought across the tracks, at the time zoned commercial, and with 3 phase elec. available, and a small, easily maintained lot it sits on.The neighbors all know me as the "Crazy old Honkie" with all the guns and super security system monitored via independent, dedicated cell phone.Since I bought it in '86, the neighborhood has been rezoned single family residence, medium density.My shop is a legal, non-conforming use. My status means anything I do to alter the outside appearance requires special variance approval by the city. The "Grandfather Rights " I was granted will expire if the place sits vacant a year.
    I will admit to a guilty feeling at home, though. I'm almost 73, have mobility issues unless I gotta rolling chair or stool near the correct heighth. I can walk fine but not far or long without bad pain. Had a young guy , unemployed construction worker glad to get a few "off the books" hours now and then to help with shop, and home yard, cleanup. He has left town to go to Wash. state (I don't blame him, nothing perm. here, in
    foreseeable future). So I gotta find a new guy. I'm the longest residing resident in my neighborhood, easy since I moved here when 4 years old and our house was the first started on the street! And I guess they respect that and haven't complained to the city. But I'm looking and I'll find somebody outta work, who's not a crackhead, that I can trust, and all will be well!
    Dave

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Had the township on me for years ,Got a new set of neighbors across the street and no problems.I hate yuppy's they move into a neighborhood and think they own the joint .Bunch of snobs that moved.I even got into a fist fight with one of them ,I was putting a starter in my mom's car while he was selling his house ,He had the balls to ask me to not work on any cars while he was selling his house.My yard is not a mess and not riddled with cars ,I keep things pretty neat and cars are not jacked up for long and if they are there neat,,,,,,,,,,,

12. jdj9410

jdj9410
    from Paris TX

Think I'm stupid because I drive the piss outta classic cars. But they come by wanting plenty of free welding, fab and auto repair. I give it and they leave me alone and let me make all the noise I want. But I still do nothing loud between 9 pm and 9 am. Well, other than a little tire squeeling

13. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I moved in my house about 3 years ago.I drove my coupe over to look at the house before I bought it--and a couple of the neighbors walked over to look at it.One guy says I know this car--you're the wiring guy,right? I say yea--that's me. So this guy and his neighbor tells everybody I'm a great guy--I'm not real sure he knows this for sure,but everbody believes it!
    Fast forward to this summer--house down the street is a rental--and this dirt-bag family moves in.Junk everwhere--trash,parts of who-knows-what, and general crap. He has 3 "projects" in the driveway AND front yard-plus one Camaro he's turning into a 57 Chevy with a "kit"--don't ask. So the city "code enforcement" guy shows up--dirt-bag guy gets wrote up,gets his shorts in a wad,and says I have a "junk" car in my driveway.I have a 56 Chevy project--covered-- in my driveway--licenced / insured / drivable. Code guy walks up--nice guy--and talks to me nice.I cut him off and say "wanna go for a ride?'". I start it up--put it in gear,and do a little tire chirp! Then I tell him to let the dirt-bag son-of- a bitch down the street I 'm gonna ride his ass till he moves out!
    Code enforcement says he's got 15 days till tow-out. Now I gotta watch him like a hawk--BUT--all the other people on the street love me!

14. I live next door to a Muslim Mosque. They leave me alone and I return the favor. Although in saying that one of the guys in charge and his family are heavily into US iron and at last count owned a couple of 59/60 Caddies vert and a coupe, 68 vete, 67 Lincoln vert plus what ever else that I never see.
    The rest of them are clueless about what I do.:cool:

15. i wouldn't mind living next store to my new best friend,haha

16. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I get along fine with my neighbours. We moved here almost 3 years ago and everyone quickly got used to seeing the hotrod being worked on/driven. I keep my yard neat and clean and don't make noise past 10 pm. Keeps everyone happy.

17. i live well with in the city limits, i live in my shop, my wife and i are seperated. all my neighbors go home around 5. so they dont care what i do. theres just alot of evidence of the previous nite in the morning.

18. I live out in the sticks, my neighbors come over to see what I'm up to and visit. Life is good.

19. I envy you oz I look forward to the day my wife throws me out so I can go live at the shop!!!

20. I just told the wife, if we were with that realtor, and saw that house, with those toys, we're buying the friggin house...period.

21. My Dad lives next to me. I call him my "nasty neighbor" and he likewise...
    The others that mate to my property are harley owners and they make all the noise. The guy's wife that lives across from me seems to be more worried that
    I may bring in livestock?????
    Like I have time for that.

22. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I'm a big believer in that you treat people (including neighbors) the way you would like to be treated. I work on my cars after 9 am and quit around 4 pm. All my junk is out of sight, my yard is neatly trimmed and my house painted nice. I expect the same of everyone else.

23. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I guess I am lucky because my neighbor next door loves old cars and has a Mustang drag car in his driveway he is building . My neighbor across the street loves my old cars too and rides a really nice Harley . The other neighbor is a real fu*king asshole and could care less about who he pisses off so no problem there . Yep I am just plain lucky but I guess I will see what happens when I fire up my sbf that is build up with a mean bump stick with open headers ! But then I really don't care either !

Retro Jim

24. smoked1

smoked1

Sure wish you were my neighbor! cool very cool!:cool:

25. ratrodscroungers

ratrodscroungers
    from Idaho

My cats and cows always runwhen I put fire in the hole but the way I drive I would too. As for the human kind closest one is 2 miles away and all the others are pushing up dasies. wish I had the cars those people drove.

26. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Same here!

27. All of my neighbors are pretty cool although they are not into cars save for one but that was a long time ago. I try and knock off the heavy noise stuff by 7:30PM. If I'm off early AM to go somewhere I'll even push my 32 out of the garage to limit the noise as it is pretty loud. But, no louder than my neighbor next door with his motorcycle. I keep the house neat, clean, and the car stuff in the garage (with an occasional exception) and I have a cordial relationship with everyone. So far, so good.

28. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

I live in the heart of Downtown San Diego, in a decent mid century style apartment complex, I have a parking spot with my 63 merc and if you look inside my place its a bunch of low-brow art work (My buddy is an artist and uses my place as a "Gallery") some transmission parts, valve covers, a lowrider bike, 2 project bikes, more trans parts, fender skirts, carburetors and a super charger as a table ornament, motorcycle parts, rat fink stuff and flake helmets, and pretty much a bunch of old junk. needless to say I dont fit in to my sleek urban and hip surroundings haha

29. banditomerc

banditomerc

all my stuff is out of sight,but my neighbors are cool.I weld stuff for them,gates,bikes,etc..My next door neighbor in particular was about to lose his home to foreclosure!I did not let it happen,i hooked him up with a friend of mine that saved his home ahd saved me alot of future headaches with new neighbors.

30. Mr. Galore

Mr. Galore

The shop is way out in the boonies, but we also do work in the garage behind our house which attracts the curious and some neighborhood kids, we try to stoke them on old cars and hot rodding. Every now and then we'll have a bbq and the neighborhood pretty much come to a halt as folks check out the hot rods, customs and bikes that show up. I think the neighbors look at my gal and I more as a curiosity than a problem.

Best back alley quote:

middle age lady "do you work on cars?"
    me, covered in grease with wrench in hand "only older stuff"
    her "oh it's old, it's a '91 Toyota..."