Register now to get rid of these ads!

What do you think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NuckinFutz, Jun 28, 2011.

1. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

I've been look for a new project to build a traditional rod out of. I've for a few cars that I like, But nothing that is screaming at me yet, But I found this!

What's some opinions on it?
    [​IMG]

I already have a fleetside bed. I also have an engine and trans for it. Well I have 2 engines,But one is ready and the other needs built. The first is a 59 348 tri power. The 2nd is a 64ish GMC 305 V6. The 348 is ready to run, fresh,and pretty hot for a 348. The trans is a rebuilt NV3500 from a mid 90s GM truck.

Thanks in advance for your input and advice.

2. I think those trucks look great when built. I personally like the step side better than the fleetside. Go to Gadsden Al First Friday this weekend if you are nearby and there are usually about 3 or 4 of those that are really sharp at the show. One of those with the 348 would be a standout.

3. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

im diggin the ol chev'! I prefer fleet sides though ... just my .02

4. Willy301

Willy301

Good looking start to a build with alot of possabilities...

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

Go with the 348 ,that hood really looks to be in good shape.Most of those the front of the hood is the 1st place to rust away.My Dad was a big fan of those trucks and several.

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The front ends on those '61s look custom in stock form! I love 'em!

Get a Fleetside bed, some Larry Watson style scallops, period correct wheels and tires (chrome reverse or supremes, maybe?) and you're good to go!

7. If that truck was lucky, it might have gotten a set of Cragers or Keystones around '68. A true "traditional hot rod" version of a '61 Chevy truck could get real disco, real fast. :eek:

It could make a killer custom though. Panel paint, 348, Fleetside bed, loads of chrome....

Oh yeah....

JH

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

someone has to have a different opinion-do not like that year-do like ones later without the big hood openings-348 needs a true classic home

9. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

it's a dirty, beat up truck. Lots of potential. I think with a fleetside bed and the 348, it could be cool.

10. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

Don,

I'm actually planning on being there already. I'll be in my 49 ford tanker this weekend.
    I'm from New Hope, AL and will be home till the 10th or so. I hope to see you around.

Thanks for the reply,
    Jamie

Brad, Willy, G-vagas,Arkie,

Thanks for the replys. I already have a perfect fleetside bed to go on it. Glad yall like the 348 Idea. You hardly ever see a W motor in anything now day. Mustless a 348 tri power in a truck. I like being the mold breaker.

THanks again,

Jamie

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always threw that hood away and put the later hood on the ones I had. But We may be alone in that thinking JJ Those early hoods are a great source of filler panel material though.

12. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I really liked those style Chev p/u ! Just plain different than all the other ones . i have seen some built before and do look good .
    That 348 is a must have for that truck ! that is a classic hotrod engine for sure . you have to use that 348 in that truck . It will be a creamer for sure !
    Keep us posted on the build !

Retro Jim

13. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

JH, Strange, Joker,
    Thanks for the input.
    Joker, I like the 62 up also, But I want to be different. If we all liked the same thing, How boring would 11 million black 34 ford coupe be?

14. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Me like fleetsides also ....go for it.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've seen a few trucks with Fleetside beds that cleaned up nice...as well as some '57 Ford Stylesides. But the stepside bed really made me notice this Chevy. Think long and hard on this one...stepsides are unusual, and look like real 'pickups'.

And, as Mr48Chev says, "I always threw that hood away..."
    You just can't ignore pure reason. Yeah, Lots of good filler material in that ugly hood.

16. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I like those trucks. That one would be real nice with a 348 in it. Consider this another vote for the fleetside bed as well.

17. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

Jim, Mr. 48,

Thanks for the replies and input.

My wife is fixing lunch. I have the trailer hitched and ready to head out as soon I'm done stuffing my face. I'll post more soon as I get back.

18. either bed would be cool. that truck would be awesome with the 348. what tranny?

19. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

Bowtie, Mike, Swankin,
    THanks for the input.

20. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

TB,
    I'm planning on a NV3500 from a mid 90's GM 1500. Good tranny, freshly rebuilt, and give me a good ratio and OD for cruisin

21. RichG

RichG

I personally love the cat-eye hoods!

22. SmoKerch

SmoKerch

Get it running, washed, clean the windows, get a seat cover, new wheels and tires.

Done.

23. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I do have to agree a bit. Although trucks can make cool customs, they really have to be done right. If it were mine I would just leave it looking like a farm truck and spend time and money on a custom car, and have the ol' truck be the parts runner in the mean time.

24. onequickchevy

onequickchevy

Great find, check out the 67-72.com truck website. Lots of great info and cool builds on there. I have a 63 and love it.

25. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

Rich,Smoke,Stream,Quick,
    Thanks for the replies and input.

Steamliner,
    With exception of fluids,tires and some paint, It's being build from stuff I have laying around. I'm going to still be looking for a car, But this truck will tide me over till I find the right car.

Quick,
    67-72 is a great site. They have great info and some good people. My wife has gotten alot of help with her 70 on there.

26. I like it, short wide bed, hot 348 and a good cleaning and decent paint job. You're there.

27. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

Well, My plans for going after it got foiled by rain. I'll wait to see how long this storm last.

Pork, Thanks for the commint. This is a factory 283/ 3 on the tree truck and Its still 100% complete

28. You allergic to rain or something?!?!?!

JH

29. This is actually one of my all time favorite cateye C-10s. It lacks perfection but it just gets under my skin everythime I see a picture of it.

Attached Files:

30. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

LOL! No But the man that owns it didn't want to get out in it.