Register now to get rid of these ads!

what do you think

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chris dozier, Jul 12, 2008.

1. chris dozier

chris dozier

I picked up a 1930 model a ford pickup umm about a month and half ago...and since then i have taken it off the crap frame is was on and i picked up a model a frame......i have a 1951 Flathead V8 that is going in....im 21 and this is really my first big project...i mean ive done my share of work but im kinda lost when it comes to model a's and lowering it....i have the old front end...but im not sure if i want to use it....should i just go to speedway and order a new front end or should i use the OG front end( I want it to be traditional)... and i want it to be really low.....here is a pic to show how low..and if yall could help me i would really appreciate it....i want my pickup to sit just like this coupe i think....what do i do!?!?! thanks everyone
    [​IMG]
    IS THIS A SUACIDE FRONT END? IF SO SHOULD I?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AND HERE IS A PIC OF MY TRUCK :eek: IN A VERY UGLY STATE!
    [​IMG]
    TEARING APART ( THE SUNROOF CAME OUT)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AND HOW MUCH SHOULD I CHOP IT? SHOULD I CHANNEL IT TOO? please help....i dont really want to spend 1000 bucks on a front end and brakes.....or is this a must to get it that low.....

2. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

my opinion

get rid of fenders, chop 3" channel 4"

that would look cool as hell, but its your ride take some photos and mutilate the photos to try and get a idea of what would look good or use one of those photo shop programs to play with

just my 2 cents worth

3. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

from the looks of cars that influence you, I think your pickup will get the treatment it deserves. keep us posted often.

chevnut

4. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

My suggestion is search the tech archives first, that will answer a lot of questions. If you want it low you will need to get a drop axle for the front and depending on your rear suspension choice, you may have to step the rear of the frame a lot. Since you are using an A frame, it would look better channeled since you want it to sit low. As far as a chop, well how much is a personal preference and is also dictated by how tall you are. A 6" chop at 6' tall plus channeled 4" would be a tight fit. A 4" chop would look good without being cartoon-ish. BTW that's a solid looking cab...the shit your threw off looks like an abortion from hell. Welcome the the HAMB...it's going to be your new addiction. Be sure to spend some time reading before a lot of posting.

Bill

5. chris dozier

chris dozier

well them half ass fenders are already gone (they went with that poo frame)..and i wasn't planning on running the og fenders either.....

6. i have to agree with you , the before picture is very ugly

the cars in the first two pictures look like the front of the frames have been sweeped up...consider doing that. if you want traditional , stay with an I-beam axle and maybe split bones or hairpins

7. chris dozier

chris dozier

thanks...well im 6'2 and i was thinking of a three inch chop and enough channel just to cover the frame....but i do want it to look like a 50's style hot rod.....what do yall think.....and should i buy that speedway front end or should i just but a flipped axle and spindles and thats it.....would it be that low?....im so lost...but yes the cab and bed it is great shape.....the p/o freakin put a honda roof on it....but after a couple hours of chipping and grinding away at the body filler....there was a clean roof underneith!.....someone REALLY did this truck wrong!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  8. chris dozier

chris dozier

a I beam axle is stock right? and ??split bones?? ??hairpins?? im so sorry

9. chris dozier

chris dozier

here are some more pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  10. Don't be sorry, just learn. Hell, I'm just impressed that you want to. I'm not sure what you mean by, "flipped axle spindles". If it's your first build and you have the juice I think you should just go ahead and buy the Speedway parts. It'll save a lot of time and head aches and should work right out of the box. One little piece of free advice I'll offer is make sure you have a qualified welder do the welding. If I were building an A I'd just go to one of the big rod runs and buy a pre fabbed A frame. They're cheap, jig welded by a pro and not 80 years old.

The stock Model A axle is an I beam and so are many of the aftermarket dropped axles. If you have all the original front suspension on you’re a chassis, your axle is located with a wishbone shaped triangular link that terminates in a small ball opposite the axle. "Split Bones" refers to cutting the cast piece off the ends and welding in bungs that allow you to thread in a tie rod end or similar attachment device so the new split bone can be attached to the frame in an other than stock location, (the stock A bone attached to the bottom of the engine.) "Hair Pins" accomplish the same end but with a fabricated link that looks like, you guessed it, a hairpin. Most of the old sprint cars and lots of old hot rods ran those. The terminology isn't hard to pick up. Most of the stuff is pretty straight forward, If you run across a term you don't understand just do a search for it on the hamb or ask. There are lots of older guy's around here that love to show they know it all. That didn't come out right..... yeah it did.

11. chris dozier

chris dozier

lol thanks evil wicked.......and ooops i meant flipped axle and drop spindles..

12. way to save it! hope you saved those fenders for a"rednck utility trailer". i really can't believe somebody drove it that way. before you decide to ut it up anymore you might want to photoshop some pic's of it. depending on how tall you are go sit in some chopped A's because at 6'6" even stock height is ok at best. keep us posted

13. chris dozier

chris dozier

will do...thanks

14. Rem

Rem

Get this book: How To Build A Traditional Ford Hot Rod, by Mike Bishop & Vern Tardel

It will answer a lot of your questions, and give you some ideas to work on.

15. chris dozier

chris dozier

will do..thank you..

16. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Looks like you're well on your way. Great job of saving that from certain doom.

Keep us up to date and often.

Vance

17. I agree with REM. Don't go any further until you get this book and read it twice. It is really a good book and will set your course. Good Luck. That truck was a real POS when you got it. Scary!

18. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

If you're looking for a frame, there are a few guys on this board who build them to sell. You might just start a thread that asks who makes and sells frames here on the HAMB and surely someone'll pipe up with the info you need.

Remember, don't be sorry for asking questions - asking is the only way you'll learn what you don't know. Some people on here will hassle you and give you bullshit answers, but take the good with the bad and you'll do fine.

The only stupid question is the one you never ask and get into trouble because of it.

19. BOHICA

BOHICA

Just my opinion, but don't chop or channel it. That's what everyone does to those old trucks and it's getting old to me. If you do chop it, just do a mild one. Love that you're using a flathead, though. How about building a wooden flatbed and add detachable stakebed sides? Then maybe one day get a nailhead or flathead and haul it around in the bed? Just a suggestion. Good luck. :)

BTW, nice GMC. Any plans for it?

20. chris dozier

chris dozier

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  21. chris dozier

chris dozier

im going tonight to buy that book.....umm should i just use the og front end? would it be cheaper?

22. chris dozier

chris dozier

and what is this bar?
    [​IMG]

23. BOHICA

BOHICA

It attaches the front axle to the frame. While not the same, think of it like a backwards 4 link.

24. Rem is right, read, read ,read. Also consider reading anything written by Tex Smith, my hot rod education would be sorely lacking with out reading all his books, even the ones on fat fenders and Mopars.

25. Flatman

Flatman

Do a search for Littleman's pickup. There's sure to be a build thread around. It has alot of the features you're looking for.
    Great job saving it, it needed saving!:D
    Flatman

26. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

your crazy, i wouldnt have touched a thing on that pickup. it was perfect as-is.

27. chris dozier

chris dozier

lol i hope your being sarcastic slamcouver

28. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

yeah! ya know, just tune it up and drive the wheels off it

29. pitman

pitman

You've got a good cab to start this project. When I began...many years ago, the best education was to attend any cruise or event...and walk around inspecting the cars. Ask any builder you can find, why or how something was done. The range of folks you meet will tell a great deal about the craft.
    If you want to modify the body, you might consider a mild...~2 or 2.5 in chop, then it will flow nicely, allow you wear your straw hat :eek: and be understated. The standard "channel" the height of the frame works well for an A. If you can get some assistance welding, to copy an A frame in 2 x 4 x 1/8 or 3/16" tube is easy! If you are making it, use the 3/16ths the first time! Then it will weigh more, but hold up just fine. Brian's thread has much good info!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150434 Early frames

30. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Ditto on reading the Tardel and Bishop book. I'm no expert by any means, but save your money to buy good quality/ good condition suspension pieces. You don't have to spend a ton of money here, but don't let price dictate your level of safety and reliability. One other thing to consider is the stance of your hot rod vs. absolute lowness. A hot rod with a perfect rake, nice wheel and tire combination will almost always look better than a car that is low for lowness' sake.
    Good luck, it looks like you're heading in the right direction.